ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
itsatdm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Tuolumne County Fires

The Rim Fire in Tuolumne County.

11,000 acres and growing. Hwy 120 to Yosemite is closed as the fire came out of Canyon and crossed the hwy.

The burn area is between Groveland and Buck Meadows and is popular with some of us locals.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
itsatdm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nobody is interested in this? It is over 16,000 acres now with only 5% containment. The origins are suspicious as it started in a remote area near the confluence of the Tuolumne and Clavey rivers.

The Sonora Fairgrounds is being used for evacuees. A suspicious fire started at the Fairgrounds last night.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Nobody is interested in this? It is over 16,000 acres now with only 5% containment. The origins are suspicious as it started in a remote area near the confluence of the Tuolumne and Clavey rivers.

The Sonora Fairgrounds is being used for evacuees. A suspicious fire started at the Fairgrounds last night.
The timing couldn't be worse for me, i had been planning a ride/trip that would loop through there..now i waited to long to replan (was hoping they'd of handled it before it got this bad)
..well my own fault on that, maybe later date.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I've gone through the area a couple of times. I'm also following the progress of the American fire, in a really beautiful backcountry area and a shame.

There are a number of recent fires that are suspicious. Whenever one is first detected on a weekend, I figure a camper might have had a fire in spite of the restrictions, or dropped a cigarette. Recent fires that have first been detected on the weekend are a fire near Sly Park lake a few weeks ago, one by Volcano on the same day, the American fire, the Bridges fire in Calaveras (I think by the hiking trail to the Natural Bridges, probably a hiker started it) In any case, there was no lightning activity around the time any of these started.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,020
It's been a while since some of that land has had a fire.

So there's LOTS of fuel to burn.

It certainly sucks.

We were just up that way 2 weeks ago on our way to this:

and this:

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 01:14 PM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

I just read on another thread about the fire near Aurora/Bodie. This is the worst fire year since 2008, when we got the dry lightning event in the last week of June. A lot of local stuff burned that year.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
I am selling an extra house I own to a fire captian that is working up there.I guess that deal will be on hold for a few more days.I just rode through the Aurora area 2 weeks ago taking the short cut from Bridgeport to Hawthorne.Fires cause the roads to wash out when it rains.Then it gives the forest service a reason not to restore them.I will have to take the xr up there and check it out in 6 weeks or so.Hate to see fires anywhere-burned up trees dont make for good riding.

oldxr screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 12:28 AM Reason: spelling
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,650
The Triangle between, Evergreen rd, Cherry Oil/Mather Rd and 120 has a ton of my favorite hideaways for dirt riding, shooting, and camping. Generally deserted outside of the summer. Fire's headed right there. I have few spots where I'd ride down to the river in the winter and mine would be the only tire tracks in the snow until it melts.

I feel bad complaining as it's nothing compared to what the locals are going through, but it's awful watching an area burn that has a lifetime of good memories .

Been watching the incident report, but keep us updated with any local news Gary

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
ADVMindset
Americana Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
UGH....
The Rim fire has grown to almost 106K acres overnight and some reports say it is now a real threat to Yosemite !
I took a short ride out of Tuolumne City yesterday afternoon and snapped some pictures, I'll post them up shortly.
They have the river road out the back of Tuolumne City closed and they are wanting residents to closely watch their water useage !

This last picture was taken this morning on the east edge of Sonora off of Phoenix Lake Rd.

ADVMindset screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 12:26 PM Reason: Added pix !
ADVMindset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,716
This site is good for getting fire info:

http://yubanet.com/

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
itsatdm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Columbia is an air attack base and yesterday was like SFI. Today the smoke and visibility is horrible. No air traffic today except for a couple of helicopter fly overs. I assume they have contingency plans.

Just before the Rim fire got reported there was the Bridges fire that started in a remote area off Camp 9 road. I hope these were not arson fires.

That is a good site Al.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

I went through Ferretti Road this spring and passed by the upper end of the dirt road that goes down to the Lumsden Bridge area. I put that on my list of things to do next time I was in the area but it looks like that's in the burn area.

I don't want to start a debate about forest management practices but I've been in national forest areas where there is so much down wood and brush it's impossible to hike off trail. A local area that is pretty bad is parts of the Silver Fork valley between 50 and 88.

I never thought about arson but some big Southern California fires in recent years were intentionally set. They have a couple of suspects in the American fire, found a burned out pickup and picked up two guys hitchhiking out of the area but no charges yet.

http://yubanet.com/regional/American...p#.UheeNkrn82x

I heard they had a suspect in the Angora fire at Tahoe, a guy camping in the Angora Lakes area, had a campfire get away from him. The authorities know his name but never brought charges, not enough good evidence I guess.