Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,617
Light Duty Diesel Pickups

What's one more truck thread?

I wonder if these will come to fruition.

Nissan Titan
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/n...el-v8-cummins/

Ram 1500
http://www.autotrader.com/research/a...his-summer.jsp
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
I'm going to hold my breath now

...they here yet?!

M
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,466

Someone wake me up when they arrive.....
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post

You won't be able to touch either one for under $45,000. As much as I'd love to have a "small" () diesel pickup, the unobtainium surcharge is going to make them rediculous. When I came to this realization I started looking at gas models. While hunting for Toyotas (both Tacoma and Tundra) I realized I could get an ecoboost F-150 for a little over $30,000- pretty much the same as a similar Toyota, with better fuel economy.

I actually wrote a letter to Toyota explaining why I didn't buy one (I've owned several Toyota trucks in the past). Essentially I said that their competition is at least trying to squeeze better fuel economy out of their trucks with "technological innovations" like cylinder deactivation, direct injection, and turbocharging. I pointed out that their minor face lift for the 2014 Tundra with the same old gas guzzling engines sends the message that they're resting on their laurels and depending on brand loyalty too much. Within a week I got a response from them thanking me for my feedback and they insisted that they are working on their fuel economy and hope I'll consider them next time.

With the threat of these light duty diesels it looks like they'll really have to step it up if they want customers to stick around. (edit:) So while I have little hope that we'll see these trucks at a reasonable price in the near future, I'm glad they're at least pushing the envelope.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post

I actually wrote a letter to Toyota explaining why I didn't buy one (I've owned several Toyota trucks in the past). Essentially I said that their competition is at least trying to squeeze better fuel economy out of their trucks with "technological innovations" like cylinder deactivation, direct injection, and turbocharging. I pointed out that their minor face lift for the 2014 Tundra with the same old gas guzzling engines sends the message that they're resting on their laurels and depending on brand loyalty too much. Within a week I got a response from them thanking me for my feedback and they insisted that they are working on their fuel economy and hope I'll consider them next time.

With the threat of these light duty diesels it looks like they'll really have to step it up if they want customers to stick around. (edit:) So while I have little hope that we'll see these trucks at a reasonable price in the near future, I'm glad they're at least pushing the envelope.

I currently drive a 2005 2wd 4cylinder MT GMC Canyon. The fact that none of the players had updated the midsize market in a very very long time keeps me from even considering changing now.

I hope that someone gets serious with the midsize market in the next couple of years. I don't have any desire to go full size (1/2ton) and no I don't pine for a true "little" truck. The midsize suits me just fine. I am the lone ADVrider that will admit to wanting power door locks and power windows with cruise control-- maybe as I'm one of the few who actually drives a vehicle daily without those items.

I want it all, and I should be able to have it with improvements in engine technology. More power, better gas mileage (I get 21.5 highway/town/mixed/period) and a nicer interior.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I currently drive a 2005 2wd 4cylinder MT GMC Canyon. The fact that none of the players had updated the midsize market in a very very long time keeps me from even considering changing now.

I hope that someone gets serious with the midsize market in the next couple of years. I don't have any desire to go full size (1/2ton) and no I don't pine for a true "little" truck. The midsize suits me just fine. I am the lone ADVrider that will admit to wanting power door locks and power windows with cruise control-- maybe as I'm one of the few who actually drives a vehicle daily without those items.

I want it all, and I should be able to have it with improvements in engine technology. More power, better gas mileage (I get 21.5 highway/town/mixed/period) and a nicer interior.
A Durango with a Sprinter engine would be cool.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Quote:

You and I are in perfect agreement. I was leaning toward midsize but like you said, everyone has abandoned that market. I went full size again because it just penciled out the same as midsize.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:

All of the automakers are waiting on the Trans-Pacific Partnership to get inked so they can work out plans.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:

I bought a 2005 Colorado 3.5 5cyl 4wd manual extended cab to replace my 93 Ranger 4.0 4wd manual extended cab and still regret it. The Ranger was better in every way (power, handling, towing, interior materials and build quality) except for 1 mpg less and the GM electric locker is better than Ford's limited slip. Until I had an ECU tune done by a private Colorado owner/tuner it was practically undriveable (torque management would prevent you from starting up on a hill, surging beyond the worst nightmares of any BMW rider at cruise - the dealer was clueless). Jurgen, I wish I had power locks because of the no outside key lock on the passenger door = the peak of cheapness (I think in 2007 GM put the key lock in). It's been reliable, I'll give it that, but not any more than the Ranger.

The Nissan Frontier is nicer, but thirstier. I don't care for the Tacoma. Both of those trucks are what, 9 years since the last re-design? I would like a real choice of small to midsize pickups. I want a manual trans, but now no full size even offers a manual anymore.

Between the higher cost of diesel, cold weather driveability, high costs of maintenance and $7000 DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) exhausts, there's no diesel in my future.

Maybe for my next truck, building a mid-90's rust-free GMC Sierra or Ranger wouldn't be a bad idea...
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,697
For $1300 you can get a gas engine in the Ram 1500 with significantly more horsepower and almost the same torque as their new diesel offering. It'll be difficult to sell the diesel in my opinion. The mileage difference has to be significant in order to get over the additional cost of diesel at the pump (where I live diesel is almost always more expensive). It's also been siginficantly more for a diesel engine at initial sale.

It's been hard to pencil a diesel over gas in a small truck. Makes much more sense when you're towing heavy (need the torque) and putting on significant miles (where the perception of diesel longevity plays into it).

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
GlassAnkles
Chip to Queso Ratio

Oddometer: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post

While hunting for Toyotas (both Tacoma and Tundra) I realized I could get an ecoboost F-150 for a little over $30,000- pretty much the same as a similar Toyota, with better fuel economy.
Good luck with that ecoboost fuel economy, we bought a brand new king ranch with that "eco" boost ford taurus SHO motor. Our average MPG ended up at 16 mpg, so we traded it for the Longhorn dodge ram with a proper V8
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
Good luck with that ecoboost fuel economy, we bought a brand new king ranch with that "eco" boost ford taurus SHO motor. Our average MPG ended up at 16 mpg, so we traded it for the Longhorn dodge ram with a proper V8
Just filled up today- previous tank was 19.1 mpg.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post

Don't know about Nissan, but the Ram is actually on their website now( the big truck thread inspired me to look for them on Monday). I'm thinking November.

I fear the $45k comment will probably be too accurate though.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Don't know about Nissan, but the Ram is actually on their website now( the big truck thread inspired me to look for them on Monday). I'm thinking November.

I fear the $45k comment will probably be too accurate though.
Order a base truck for $23k +/- and choose the diesel $2800 +/-.

Even with a "convenience package" for your windows and cruise, you should be able to get one ordered for under $30k.

Sure, go to the local car lot and all you'll see is optioned-out crew cabs with short-short beds and big chrome wheels because that's what all the suburbanites are buying. That doesn't mean you can't get what you want, though.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Order a base truck for $23k +/- and choose the diesel $2800 +/-.
Word from my neighbor that owns the local Dodge Ram dealership is that the diesel option will be closer to $6500. Ugh. In addition, he says there won't be a manual transmission option, so cost savings there either. If all that is correct, it would take many years for me to save that much money in fuel vs the gas engines.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: