User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
I want.... No, I need a bigger bike!

I have to travel for work pretty frequently. 230 miles to one location and 280 miles to another. I can either drive my work truck or take my own vehicle (company pays 51 cents per mile if I use my own). So I figured I'd try out my little WR250R just for kicks.
I learned two things very quickly:

1-That seat sucks for any real mileage.
2-The little 250 gets too hot when hauling my fat ass up a steep grade at 90°F and nearly 7,000' elevation.

So I've put the Polaris ranger on Craigslist and will dump that money into a bigger bike. I'm most interested in a new F800GS, I think I want the adventure.

My question is, there are no dealerships in the area. How hard is the maintenance on one of these? What engine oil and filter do you use? What else should I be prepared for?

wyobohunter screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 04:25 PM
wyobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I have never had a dealer do any maintenance on my bike, and most of us on here have not either. The GSA may be an option or just a GS, or even a nicely used GS. Honestly they are one of the most forgiving bikes I have dealt with but they have quirks, none of which are horrible.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What motor oil and filter? There is a KTM dealership here. I stopped in see if they'd have a good motor oil for my WR. Only stuff they had was some racing oil that (according to the service counter guy) you have to use in a KTM. $20 for a quart!

Just want to avoid buying anything that cost me a million bucks to maintain.

I do want something I can explore the desert, mountains and highways with. The BMW seems to fit the bill but I want to be sure the maintenance isn't more of a pain/more expensive than the average ride.

I read in another post (paraphrasing)
"Why would you spend the extra money on a BMW and then be too cheap to pay for professional servicing?".

My answer would be "Because I don't pay others to do what I can do myself... If general maintenance is problematic (havin to take things apart just to do simple/routine maintenance like an oil change) I'll pass on the bike.

I'd be willing to remove things I put on aftermarket (skid plate) but if I have to strip it down... No thanks

wyobohunter screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 05:37 PM
Old 08-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
What motor oil and filter? There is a KTM dealership here. I stopped in see if they'd have a good motor oil for my WR. Only stuff they had was some racing oil that (according to the service counter guy) you have to use in a KTM. $20 for a quart!
From the handbook:

Engine oil, capacity: 3.1 quarts (2.9 l), with filter change
Recommended oil: BMW Motorrad High Performance Oil SAE 15W-50, API SJ / JASO MA2
Oil additives: BMW Motorrad does not recommend using oil additives, as these can worsen the operation of the clutch. Ask your BMW Motorrad retailer for engine oils suitable for your motorcycle.

Or Castrol at the same spec above.

With oil I've always been fine on the manufacturers' suggested brands, motorbikes can be sensitive regarding clutch operation etc. Remember the saying 'buy cheap buy twice'. Although Castrol is not particularly expensive, certainly less than $20/litre.

You can order an OEM oil filter online from a dealer, it's about $14 - example

I have all servicing done by my BMW dealership as I live in the middle of London and have no facilities to do my own. For the record, the F800GS costs half for servicing compared to what Honda used to charge for my previous bike.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 06:06 PM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 770
I use Shell Rotella diesel oil 15w-40 and a Wix filter as both are easily found locally. Nearest BMW dealer is 2 hours away. I commute with mine daily. Maintenance is easy, valve adjust can be a bit involved but with 12000 mile intervals not a big deal.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Doesn't sound bad. Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
I ride an F800, and live on the Kenai Peninsula.
Don't let the proximity of dealership bother you any.
Things like tires, drive chain, sprockets, oil filters, etc are easy enough to source.
The F800 will tote you around Alaska with no problem.
Mine gets 56 miles per gallon on the paved roads, and 60 to 64 MPG on gravel.
Valvoline markets Motorcycle rated oils, you can get them at NAPA, CARQUEST, Oreilleys, etc.
The nice people that sell you the bike will be happy to sell you a sack full of oil filters.
If you need to read trouble codes, stop down to Homer.... GS911 is usually close at hand.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:46 AM   #8
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
it's one of the easiest bikes to maintain. Oil etc is changed in 20min tops and you can buy oilfilters for 11€ of the internet. I did put a permanent airfilter in and off you go. Even if stator, clutch or something fails it's really easy to fix it yourself. I put 10w-40 oil in it. 21€ for 4 liters. I've put 34000kms on it since june 2012 and love it each day a bit more. :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oops, guess I should update my profile. My company sold all of our stuff in Alaska and transferred me to Wyoming.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,098
You will love the F800GS in Wyoming.... probably love the F800GS Adventure even more...

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and no woman is present to here him,..
Is he STILL wrong?

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
You will love the F800GS in Wyoming.... probably love the F800GS Adventure even more...

I think so too :-)

Convinced the wife I need one (and promised to install a lowering kit on the WR250R for her). Just gotta come up with the money... Anyone want to by a Polaris Ranger Crew?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, the Ranger gets a new home tomorrow. Now it's crunch time on picking between the standard and adventure versions.

-I'd say most of my time is spent on dirt/gravel (50-60%).
-I'll be taking the occasional 560 mile round trip (probably 5-6 per summer for work).
-I spend a bit of time on easier single track type stuff on my current ride an will likely continue to do so on the new ride if possible.

I really don't want to do a bunch of add on stuff, I'd like the extra range of the Adventure and I'm leaning toward that but.

Are the extras worth the money?
Will the additional weight be noticeable on single track?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Metalsapo
R.E. Ordoñez

Oddometer: 41
Get it used, any 800 cc BMW is way better than a car, jajajajjajaja, and just have in mind that is a heavy bike, and also with time you will be investing in comfort, wind shield, pegs, luggage, electronics, and going farther and farther.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
Well, the Ranger gets a new home tomorrow. Now it's crunch time on picking between the standard and adventure versions.

-I'd say most of my time is spent on dirt/gravel (50-60%).
-I'll be taking the occasional 560 mile round trip (probably 5-6 per summer for work).
-I spend a bit of time on easier single track type stuff on my current ride an will likely continue to do so on the new ride if possible.

I really don't want to do a bunch of add on stuff, I'd like the extra range of the Adventure and I'm leaning toward that but.

Are the extras worth the money?
Will the additional weight be noticeable on single track?
I bought the f800 because it was the lightest adventure bike I could two up. I also wanted to off road and gravel ride. To me, if you are going single track I would get the f800 over the gsa. Must have add ons for your riding would be skid plate and probably crash bars. Plastic is expensive. I wish I would have bought a better pannier rack to protect the rear during a get off. I have vario racks and a nice dent on my muffler and scratches on the tank. The tank hasn't cracked yet.
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
wyobohunter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm buying new...

I'm going to look at the dealer Tuesday, they have one GSA and several GS.

After talking to the salesman a bit he has me leaning toward the standard GS because of most of the riding I do. I'll see then.

Thanks all