Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
Red KLR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Yes , it's another Trans Lab Hwy report !

I know , I know it's been done many; many times ; what could I possibly add ; however here is my story .
Let me first explain the difference between my username and my ride , while I had my KLR I loved it ; I thought I would keep it forever ; but alas it was not to be ; an opportunity arose to purchase an F800GS and the rest as they say is history .
This adventure begins in front of Sears in Moncton , NB on the morning of Aug 13th where I met my riding buddy Pat and his KLR .

We set course for North Sydney , NS where we would take the ferry for Port Aux Basques , NL . The ferry crossing took seven hours , one hour longer than normal ; for whatever reason ; BRUTAL !

Arriving in NL late at night we had a 30 minute ride to our cabin that we had reserved in Upper Ferry , riding at night in Newfoundland is not recommended due to the high moose population so we got behind a motorhome travelling at about 70-80 kph ; perfect .

We got away late in the morning , due to our late night we slept in ; our destination for the day ; Green Island Cove where we have a reservation at a B&B ; it's about 40 kms north of St Barbe where we will take the next ferry to Labrador .

On the way up the Northern Peninsula we stopped at The Arches Provincial Park .

to be continued
Old 08-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Thumb My kind of ride....

TLH by let's say more experienced riders.....exactly what it will be when I get there too. I hope it all goes great for you. I'm hoping for next year to do this. Keep up posted.
Ride safe and have fun....
Ken
Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
Everyone's pictures and perspectives are different. Its always interesting reading. Looking forward to more.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Red KLR OP
Adventurer

We are now into day 3 , the B&B in Green Island Cove was very nice .
The ferry is scheduled to depart at 8:00 AM , we have to be there at 7:00 AM , so we leave at 6:30 AM in pouring rain ; but we're adventure riders ; we thrive on adversity ; upon reaching the ferry terminal the extreme rain gave way to odd shower and drizzle .

While waiting to board I noticed a truck pulling a trailer with a KLR on board , so I gave him the the thumbs up to which he responded with a wave ; we chatted briefly on board ; it turns out his usename on this site is Newfie Bullet and was returning to his home in Goose Bay after some adventure riding in western Newfoundland . Thank you Newfie Bullet for your offer of assistance should the need arise , fortunately it did not .
This is the scene as we approached Blanc Sablon , QC .

to be continued
Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Yes, what Nick said.

I'm in.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
I'm following, too.

I know a fellow who's heading up to NL right now. I'm sure he'd appreciate any info you can pass along about accommodations. Would you care to share contact info for that cabin and B & B? And cost?
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Red KLR OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
I'm following, too.

I know a fellow who's heading up to NL right now. I'm sure he'd appreciate any info you can pass along about accommodations. Would you care to share contact info for that cabin and B & B? And cost?
The cabin in Upper Ferry , approximately 30/40 minutes east of Port Aux Basques ; is Martins Cabins ; on Route 406 ; $60.00 plus tax ; phone 709 955 2673 .
There is a tourist bureau on the right side of highway leaving Port Aux Basques ; your friend should stop here and get a book with accommodations listings ; if it's open ; the hours may be 9-5 ; I don't know .
The B&B I stayed at in Green Island Cove was $60.00 , called Coziest B&B phone 709 475 2010 ----- nice !
I hope he enjoys the trip , I loved every minute !

Red KLR
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Red KLR OP
Adventurer

Suited up for wet weather we set out for Port Hope Simpson our destination for the day .

Upon leaving the ferry terminal in Blanc Sablon there is approximately 90 kms of pavement to Red Bay where the dirt road and the fun begins . On the way we stopped at L'Anse- Amour lighthouse and found this in the parking lot .

We didn't meet the Ural rider at this point , but skipped over one another in the coming days ; more on that later .
Red Bay has a fabulous whaling museum which I took in on a previous ride up to Mary's Harbour/Battle Harbour a couple of years ago , so we took a few pictures ; had a bite to eat ; fueled up and got under way .

more to come
Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Red KLR OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Everyone's pictures and perspectives are different. Its always interesting reading. Looking forward to more.

Nick
Hang in there , I'm about to work on another installment .

Red KLR
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Red KLR OP
Adventurer

After North West River , our next order of business is to take in Muskrat Falls ; the site of a huge hydro electric project just getting under way .

Here we are leaving Goose Bay , notice the weather is much nicer than when we arrived ; no rain suits !

I'm not sure what this means , but didn't think it applied to us .

We followed a foot path for a while and it led us onto a power line .
Pat is seen here cleverly marking our entry point to the afore mentioned power line . We want to return the way we came ; we're no fools .

See it now before it's flooded !

It's time now to hit the road for Churchill Falls .
If I remember correctly there is pavement roughly 100kms west of Goose and 20 kms east of Churchill with dirt road in between .
Below is a victim of the TLH .

This is the first day where dust was an issue .

In Churchill Falls we hoped to get a tour of the hydro electric facility there but it didn't work out , we wanted the 9:00 AM tour the next morning but they couldn't take us until 1:30 PM ; we declined .

Day 6 , we decided to go check out the Churchill River ; the source of the Churchill Falls hydro facility ; knowing it would only be a fraction of it's former self .

Go to page 2 lower right

Red KLR screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 05:49 AM
Red KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
and then what happened...
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Red KLR OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
TLH by let's say more experienced riders.....exactly what it will be when I get there too. I hope it all goes great for you. I'm hoping for next year to do this. Keep up posted.
Ride safe and have fun....
Ken
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement , get out and do it ; it will all be paved soon .

Red KLR