Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
AdvIvan OP
Rock on!

Oddometer: 75
1190 center stand

Heya!

When riding 2-up, with panniers on, the dampening system seam insufficient; the centerstand scratches the asphalt sometimes when cornering. No, it's not because we're too fat! :) 80+60+20 kg, EDS in 2+p mode.
Did anyone else experience center-stand scratching?

A few months ago I had a EDS-failure message which disappeared without corrections. Could be linked I guess?

On a side note, the centerstand is full of other scratches and dents from front-wheel stone spray. All these scratches tend to rust. The center stand all together gives a really poor impression...
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvIvan View Post
Heya!

When riding 2-up, with panniers on, the dampening system seam insufficient; the centerstand scratches the asphalt sometimes when cornering. No, it's not because we're too fat! :) 80+60+20 kg, EDS in 2+p mode.
Did anyone else experience center-stand scratching?

A few months ago I had a EDS-failure message which disappeared without corrections. Could be linked I guess?

On a side note, the centerstand is full of other scratches and dents from front-wheel stone spray. All these scratches tend to rust. The center stand all together gives a really poor impression...
as soon as you press the 2-UP button the bike is rising quite alot. So i would check this first. put it up to 1 person first then sit on it adjust it to 2-UP+lagguage you must feel the bike really rises if not your system doesnt work ! if does which mine work, i never have that problem even with comfort setting the bike got really good ground clearence.

Hope this helps !
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
I JET
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I've scraped my centre stand a few times now, i ride in sport mode and always set on single with luggage and I still scrape every now and then, worse if its in comfort mode, I weigh 62kg. I think it comes down to how hard its ridden. +1 on checking it does actually rise up when you change the setting, it may not be working.
1991 Yamaha 50 → 1989 Yamaha 80 → 1989 Honda XR80 → 1988 Honda XR100 → 1993 Honda XR250 → 1997 Honda XR400 → 2007 KTM 450 EXC → 1994 Honda RVF 400 → 2010 BMW S1000RR → 2010 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple →
2012 BMW S1000RR --> Bike of the Month DEC/2012 <--http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bm...er-2012-a.html Current Bike → → 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
I JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
That's why I'm reinforce the suspension!. (And I have the R model) I heard a guy who had a big damage on the bike when the knnoby tire hit badly the the upper part of the bike

nikoktm screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 03:22 AM
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

I think if I really push it , the stand might be touch the floor but again I don't ride this bike like fireblade :) it has got limits yes it has got power but it isn't a sports bike:) it won't make you put your knee down.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
AdvIvan OP
Rock on!

Oddometer: 75
Tried the 1-up to 2-up raisal test you asked for. It raises somewhat at least, I have nothing to compare to but something happens.
I don't see any difference when changing EDS between COMFORT/STREET/SPORT though.

With 150 hp and a 170/60ZR17 tire on the back wheel, I'd be amazed if it's not made for wearing my kneeplates out. Scraping the center stand is however FAR from scraping my knee!
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
I think if I really push it , the stand might be touch the floor but again I don't ride this bike like fireblade :) it has got limits yes it has got power but it isn't a sports bike:) it won't make you put your knee down.
Seriously?

12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Tan, you just made my day. Sounds like you live in a fish bowl! Enjoy your adventure down to Starbucks in your goretex outfit.

PS! Don't forget the makeup :-)
Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie View Post
Tan, you just made my day. Sounds like you live in a fish bowl! Enjoy your adventure down to Starbucks in your goretex outfit.

PS! Don't forget the makeup :-)
Mate why such loser comment ? Why can't you handle that the statement I just write is completely true!

Why is that I live in a fish bowl! don't make me laugh you are ridiculous. If you got nothing to say just shut up, if you got something to say just write it up like a man. Do you even got a bike because I think you don't have a clue about leathers and textile. I can teach you free!

Fucking loser
Old 08-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Tan, you are the man! Lol
Old 08-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie View Post
Tan, you are the man! Lol
Your comments are irritating and builling me.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Krap To Maintain

Oddometer: 190
Just checked my centre stand bolts, both were loose and the same on a mates 1190 R. Could have some thing to do with the scrapping ?

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #13
XsilverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I've had my centre stand drag on the ground while two-up and neither of us are heavy (me 73Kg wife 7 stone).

I've also had the rear bottom out while two-up which surprised me. So I did some checks.

I have an 1190 roadie without ESD (manual suspension), this has a different rear spring rate to the ESD models. From the info in the hand-book I measured the static and rider sag with, (from memory) the spring pre-load set to 4 turns. After careful measurement I arrived at 9 turns on the pre-load adjuster to get the correct static sag. This also gave the correct rider sag as per the hand-book.

Has anybody else tried setting the sag as per the hand-book?

To achieve the correct sag with the correct number of turns on the pre-load adjuster would require a 2.5mm spacer under the spring.

My seat of the pants feeling is that the rear spring is a little soft. Has anybody else a view on this?

I know the ESD has a different spring rate to the manual version and I think it's softer so I can't try one of these.

As an aside I have shortened the centre stand to make it easier to use, especially when loaded.

Interested to hear other views and of course a soft spring will contribute to stand dragging.
XsilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote