ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Are you ATGATT?
Dunno, dont care. Biker gear for me. 4 1.01%
Maybe a helmet, maybe not. I dress for the weather and my destination. 6 1.51%
I dress for the weather and my destination, and always a helmet when on the road. 28 7.05%
Usually a helmet, motorcycle jacket and gloves, but don't make a big deal about gear. 48 12.09%
Most of the gear, most of the time. 130 32.75%
ATGATT..... all the gear, always. 163 41.06%
ATGATT plus; all the recommended gear then some. 18 4.53%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Are you ATGATT?

A perennially hot topic, so it might be an idea to see where folks are at on this apparently contentious issue.

Me, for nigh on 5 decades.... Tend to be clad for the weather and where I am going, topped off with an open faced helmet when I am on the road.

In more temperate climes that would include a jacket and gloves, but here in the tropics I just pop on a helmet and ride off.

Off road: no helmet for pottering, but helmet and a decent amount of gear if going hard.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 08:41 PM Reason: Add pictures
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Old 08-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
TortillaJesus
Authentic

Oddometer: 3,621
nigh?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
nearly
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I always wear a helmet, boots, and gloves. I usually wear a mesh jacket even when it's hot.

However I ride 6 miles to work and I often ride in shorts there, a t shirt if it's hot.

If I'm riding more than 15 minutes I wear a jacket. More than 30 kevlar padded pants or chaps.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
comfort
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
Minimum for around town is jeans, armored jacket, boots, gloves and a full face. Any further, the armored pants are added.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
I just rode down to the car wash to rinse off all the Utah red dirt in shorts, T-shirt, running shoes, helmet, & gloves. It was 15 blocks and I never exceeded 20 mph. I would make the same trip on a bicycle going faster wearing less. Does that make me a bad person?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
I just rode down to the car wash to rinse off all the Utah red dirt in shorts, T-shirt, running shoes, helmet, & gloves. It was 15 blocks and I never exceeded 20 mph. I would make the same trip on a bicycle going faster wearing less. Does that make me a bad person?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Just out of interest....
How heavy's your bicycle? How hot is the exhaust on your bicycle? And how heavy's your motorbike? How hot is the exhaust?

I'm an ATGATT bloke now (didn't used to be) - even on short journeys. If it's really short, more often than not I'll walk rather than put on all the gear.

I always thought it was kinda weird that folks are happy to potter around town in flip-flips and board shorts but when they head out on the motorway they clad up. Most incidents happen at junctions (and where are there more junctions?) and within a area familiar to the rider (familiarity does breed contempt or, at least, relaxation). Yet more incidents happen when you're exposed to on-coming traffic with poor, or zero, escape routes - aka a town.

One of the safest places to be on the motorway or out in the country side. It's as if folks equate speed with danger, which, when you think about it, is pretty ridiculous.

The other ridiculous thing, IMO, is that some folks think ATGATT is for riding. It's not. It's for falling off.

When I was over in the US I was asked all the time why I was wearing so much gear....my reply would always be the same "Because when I have a crash, I want to get up again and carry on riding". I've never been asked that question over here.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,432
I always ride in my gear, except for pants. I've got the jacket, boots, full-face helmet and gloves, but have never found a pair of motorcycle pants that fit me right, so have always lacked that one piece of gear. Otherwise, it's ATGATT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
I always ride in my gear, except for pants. I've got the jacket, boots, full-face helmet and gloves, but have never found a pair of motorcycle pants that fit me right, so have always lacked that one piece of gear. Otherwise, it's ATGATT.
this is how I typically ride, but from my years of racing I can say that one of the most important pieces of gear we wear are a good set of leather pants. I've fallen.. a lot, and if you saw my leathers it's very specific how they are worn. 90% of the abrasion is in the hips, butt, lower back/side, and elbows. This is naturally how we fall in a lowside. I know if I go down in jeans, it's not going to be pretty.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
I'm in the ATGATT crowd. Especially after my crash a couple weekends ago. Was riding out in the desert and took a trip over the bars at about 45mph or so. The only injuries I received were 4 stitches, very minor scrape on my left hip, a lot of bruises, and one good concussion. I'm positive that if I hadn't been wearing my gear it would have resulted in a much different outcome. My Jersey is absolutely trashed, my helmet is tore up, and my gloves are ruined, but everything did it's job. Not a scratch on my hands, my armored compression jacket thing did it's job, my padded shorts did their thing, the pants don't even appear to have a scuff, and while a little more scuffed up, my boots definitely did a great job protecting my ankles and feet.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #13
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
I'm most of the gear, most of the time, in that occasionally I'll just wear jeans, but if I do, it's kevlar jeans. Always have FF lid, gloves, jacket w/armor. I must also add that, I don't give a rat's ass what other riders wear, to be perfectly honest. It's a free country, last time I checked.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:58 AM   #14
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Adding to my last post. Commuting to work I wear MX boots, jeans , High vis Icon anthem jacket, full helmet and leather gloves.
Now that Im going to the gym after work I stop home first and switch to my workboots and the ride to the gym is only 10 minutes away.
I feel weird walking around with mx boots on with my jeans tucked in when im not on or near the bike. I know that feeling weird is not going to save my foot in a crash but I take that risk