User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Cricket100 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
How Much Better is the New GS?

I am graduating from a 650GS (lost in a flood - a long story) and going to buy a 1200GS. I can get a low mileage (10,000km) 2010 or 2011 for about 75% of the cost of the new water cooled model - a fairly serious saving. I am the kind of person that keeps his vehicles 7-8 years. Probably will ride only 5-6000 km on a good year (short summers in Canada). Some back roads and logging roads but 90% or better on the street or highway.

So is the new GS that much better and any advice to someone in my position on which one to go with? Thanks.
Cricket100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Depends which kind of oil you are using...

This will be answered from many angles by many different inmates.

The new (water cooled i presume) GS is a completely different bike from the oil/hex head era. Throttle response and street feel is very... well, street. If I were you I would buy a 2008-2012 R1200GS if you are looking to upgrade. Ride it and wait for the second wave of water cooled bikes to hit the scene.

The first version of the R1200GS wasn't perfected (nor were the later versions) but it got better and better through an aesthetics and valve train change. This water cooled thing was rushed on many fronts. Crates were shipped here with documentation that the product wasn't sound. Largely (completely) a result of BMW NA pressure on Germany to get the model here to be sold.

I hope that helps
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
I have a 2005. Most trouble-free bike I've ever owned. Just sayin'.

I would get a WC without hesitation, not because I'm clairvoyant and know it will be perfect, but because I'm willing to take the risk to own what is likely the finest motorcycle ever made.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post

I would get a WC without hesitation, not because I'm clairvoyant and know it will be perfect, but because I'm willing to take the risk to own what is likely the finest motorcycle ever made.
I respect your opinion Ikon, you got a stud of the batch. But the risk you take is not something most can. Time and money wasted while making monthly lease and insurance payments ain't good.

Have you rode one? Experienced coolant/oil leaking from the weephole? Odd clunky shifting? Noises in the final drive? Awkward wobbling in the front end? Sure it may be a lemon.. However why are these prevalent problems not worked out and delivery pushed back a month or two?

I'm happy you have such confidence in the brand, I have owned only BMW's for most of my riding years. But you should realize the push of BMW NA as soon as us Americans want a product we read about.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,302
Well, I think it's a lot better.

No BMW boxer motor has as much snarl and bark as that watercooled model. It wanted to wheeling like I couldn't believe, it was lighter, it was much thinner at the saddle than I'm used to, which was very nice, and had great ergos otherwise.

The multiplate wet clutch is a selling point as well.

But you can and should hop down the local BMW dealer and ride a 13 GSA and a 13 LC GS if they have one of each. It isn't hard to spot the differences.

(for the record I wouldn't buy the first year of a new motor either)
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Agreed Bobby.

Wet clutch doesn't overheat and act differently off road. The engine is snappy and barks like a guard dog. Love that. I am probably just harping on the "1st tee jitters" that I feel are unacceptable, yet occur with virtually every new model.

When will I learn...
Old 09-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
gSreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post

.. the finest motorcycles ever made are probably still the 2012 R1200GS series. The WC will take this thrown as soon as it survived its childhood diseases. The clutch and gearbox are issues.
gSreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,821
The engine response of the LC boxer is much sharper compared to the Hex/Camhead motors. While that makes for a impressive test ride, ooh it wheelies, and fuels exciting magazine reviews, It has diminished the bikes ability offroad. The previous bikes ability to hook up on slippery terrain , or crawl along at low RPMs is gone. For riders who actually use the GS offroad, that's a shame. Here's to hoping BMW delivers the new Adventure model with engine characteristics suitable for a riding a large bike offroad.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
The engine response of the LC boxer is much sharper compared to the Hex/Camhead motors. While that makes for a impressive test ride, ooh it wheelies, and fuels exciting magazine reviews, It has diminished the bikes ability offroad. The previous bikes ability to hook up on slippery terrain , or crawl along at low RPMs is gone. For riders who actually use the GS offroad, that's a shame. Here's to hoping BMW delivers the new Adventure model with engine characteristics suitable for a riding a large bike offroad.

But in actual reality, I've ridden both my 05 and GSW offroad and while there is a difference its nothing that can't be overcome with a little more clutch work in the slower technical spots and you won't smoke the clutch on the GSW, otherwise the GSW is a better mount for most dirt/fire roads and 90% of the other offroad riding I do, for anything above about 8-10mph the GSW is more pleasurable.

In a nutshell; any skillful rider will have no problem doing on the GSW what he was able to on the previous version and in most situations do it better.

A lower first gear would be a plus and I expect to see either that or a lower overall final drive ratio on the upcoming ADV model.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
IrishCatholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
So, when you switch to enduro mode and the mapping changes, along with the suspension, abs and traction control, it is still unsuitable for the dirt?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
rusty1945
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
This water cooled thing was rushed on many fronts. Crates were shipped here with documentation that the product wasn't sound. Largely (completely) a result of BMW NA pressure on Germany to get the model here to be sold.
What's the source of this info? I haven't heard this before.
rusty1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty1945 View Post
You gotsta know people. Sources are very limited for good reason. I'm not speaking solely on this model but any time something is released to consumers. Sorry, it happens with our beloved BMW motorcycles too...
Old 09-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty1945 View Post
If its on the 'net source doesn;t matter cuz it has to be true
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girthy Knobkers View Post
Depends which kind of oil you are using...

This will be answered from many angles by many different inmates.

The new (water cooled i presume) GS is a completely different bike from the oil/hex head era. Throttle response and street feel is very... well, street. If I were you I would buy a 2008-2012 R1200GS if you are looking to upgrade. Ride it and wait for the second wave of water cooled bikes to hit the scene.

The first version of the R1200GS wasn't perfected (nor were the later versions) but it got better and better through an aesthetics and valve train change. This water cooled thing was rushed on many fronts. Crates were shipped here with documentation that the product wasn't sound. Largely (completely) a result of BMW NA pressure on Germany to get the model here to be sold.

I hope that helps
crates of documentation that the product wasn't sound I smell BS. So it's the Americans fault for rushing the Germans? haha, right. Didn't you read they did a million miles of testing!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,584
I traded in my 05 (built 5/04) with near 110k miles for a new GSW, never a regret about either machine.
I guess I don't know those special people who don't know shit but like to act like they do.