User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
cueball OP
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 713
hid removal

i recently acquired a 2007 1200gs that has had both headlight beams converted to hid. the bulbs are way too far into the blue spectrum for me & don't really do a good job at night. my first thought is to go back to h7 lighting if not too involved or to go to hid bulbs that are more in the white (& more effective) spectrum. will the existing ballasts work with a whiter bulb?? what is most likely involved with returning to stock??

thanks in advance for any help!!

frank
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Oddometer: 108
Most of the kits now are very easy to reverse as they are mostly "plug and play" with connectors. I like the light from a 4300K bulb the best and the ballasts are independent of the bulb color temperature. If you have never messed with them there is a good pictorial post in here some where showing the install. Just have to hunt it down with a search.

Link to the thread for installation
K4AN

jzeiler screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 05:16 PM
jzeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Only thing you have to do is buy the two plastic screw- in caps which were likely drilled open to fit the HID rubber bushings. I think they're $5 each at BMW. Everything else should be attached by plastic ties. Cut them off and remove.
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball View Post
i recently acquired a 2007 1200gs that has had both headlight beams converted to hid. the bulbs are way too far into the blue spectrum for me & don't really do a good job at night. my first thought is to go back to h7 lighting if not too involved or to go to hid bulbs that are more in the white (& more effective) spectrum. will the existing ballasts work with a whiter bulb?? what is most likely involved with returning to stock??

thanks in advance for any help!!

frank
The ballasts will work with any color bulb, you've just got to pay attention to watt ratings. Lower temperature HID = less blue light. I've got 4500k bulbs in my GS, they match my LED aux lamps well and provide LOTS of usable light.

If you decide to revert to Halogen, you'll probably just need the caps that fit over the back of the lamp assemblies.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
The ballasts will work with any color bulb, you've just got to pay attention to watt ratings. Lower temperature HID = less blue light. I've got 4500k bulbs in my GS, they match my LED aux lamps well and provide LOTS of usable light.

If you decide to revert to Halogen, you'll probably just need the caps that fit over the back of the lamp assemblies.
Exactly correct. I have the 4300 HID and while whiter, not at all blue.

Cups are $5, or tape them over with black gaffers tape or electrical tape.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Exactly correct. I have the 4300 HID and while whiter, not at all blue.

Cups are $5, or tape them over with black gaffers tape or electrical tape.

Jim
Agreed, I would switch the high beam back to an H7 and stay with an HID in the 3500-4500 range, I think you will be highly dissapointed with an H7 for the low beam.
1981 CB900C
I'm not a glass half empty or full guy, I am just happy to have the damn glass!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,318
HID lamp color (measured in Kelvin or K) is dependent on the metal salts they put into the lamp kernel at time of manufacture. To change the lamp color, replace the lamp with one of the same wattage but specify 4300K color. This is the lamp color used by the auto manufacturers who equip their cars with OE HIDs. This color provides the most lumens (light amount) in the wavelength best for the human eye. The high K lamps generate light in the UV range, not well detected by the human eye hence the eye fatigue and poor performance of your current HIDs.

If you revert back to incandescent lamps, you'll be disappointed and will give up almost 1/2 of your HID light putput...it will be like mounting a candle on your bike.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
cueball OP
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 713
thanks for all the advice!! i may try the whiter hid bulbs before going back to h7's.
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball View Post
thanks for all the advice!! i may try the whiter hid bulbs before going back to h7's.
If your current bulb is too blue, it is technically whiter at something like a 6000K+. You will technically go yellower, though it will look white instead of blue.

Jim
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,450
Jim, you are certainly having a better luck with HIDs than me!

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,178
I got an HID kit off Ebay last year for my 05, paid around $25 (cheap), just did the low beam with the 4700k (it was too blue) bulb and it worked OK I suppose, the light pattern was very blotchy and un-uniform I had to lower the aim a fair amount to keep the light from blinding oncoming traffics, not impressive.
After about 3 months it died (not sure if it was the bulb or ballast, still have both) on a trip, I switched the high-beam H7 into the low-beam socket to get me to a town where I could buy another H7, and removed the HID, haven't missed it.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed
I had to lower the aim a fair amount to keep the light from blinding oncoming traffics, not impressive.
I think this point is really overlooked. I too had to lower the aim, it is a shame the high and low beam are connected to the same adjustment arm. This just goes to show you how much brighter the HID system is over the stock H7 bulb. The light throw is almost identical to the stock bulb on my system.

My HID setup (Morimoto's) have been good for 2+ years now with no failures. I think it's the luck of the draw no matter what the price ... if you have a good system your golden for years. Would I go back? No. I can't argue with success, that doesn't mean I don't want to tinker with it some more...

I too have been told it's the H7 bulb (inferior bulb). Maybe too it's more sensitive to certain issues like bad connections etc than other bulbs. If I did go back I would certainly make sure all of the connections to the bulb were absolutely -tight-. After reading a lot of posts on the H7 bulb failures - I would definitely suspect the bulb connector and connections first - that and oily fingers too! Bulbs aren't the easiest thing to change on the fly. You would think that if the low beam circuit is computer controlled and monitored it shouldn't have power supply issues...

WindSailor screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 10:52 AM
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
I think this point is really overlooked. I too had to lower the aim, it is a shame the high and low beam are connected to the same adjustment arm. This just goes to show you how much brighter the HID system is over the stock H7 bulb. The light throw is almost identical to the stock bulb on my system.

My HID setup (Morimoto's) have been good for 2+ years now with no failures. I think it's the luck of the draw no matter what the price ... if you have a good system your golden for years. Would I go back? No. I can't argue with success, that doesn't mean I don't want to tinker with it some more...

I too have been told it's the H7 bulb (inferior bulb). Maybe too it's more sensitive to certain issues like bad connections etc than other bulbs. If I did go back I would certainly make sure all of the connections to the bulb were absolutely -tight-. After reading a lot of posts on the H7 bulb failures - I would definitely suspect the bulb connector and connections first - that and oily fingers too! Bulbs aren't the easiest thing to change on the fly. You would think that if the low beam circuit is computer controlled and monitored it shouldn't have power supply issues...
Loose/bad/melted connections and connectors were definately a problem on the earlier 1200's, as is the POS wire retainer.
1981 CB900C
I'm not a glass half empty or full guy, I am just happy to have the damn glass!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
This just goes to show you how much brighter the HID system is over the stock H7 bulb. The light throw is almost identical to the stock bulb on my system.
The HID is brighter but I don't beleive that's the reason that you have to aim the headlamp assembly down, I think it's because the OEM reflector (which is not designed for an HID bulb) scatters the light a whole lot more.
So even though the HID was brighter, after aiming it down there was little benefit, maybe the primary advantage to installing an HID on a R12GS would be reliability, which I hear is normally much improved vs an H7 bulb, but on my bike I was typically getting 20-30k miles per H7 so not a big issue.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

I never had to adjust mine. Note the photo comparrisons at the end of the page: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200GS_HID_Install.html

Jim