ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
KillerD OP
BoozeMagician
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 173
Jack of all trades or two aces...?

As I sit here in a waist high bath recovering from a riders worst nightmare (ass surgery) I find myself with ample time to waist on the ol' forums. So here goes:

I currently ride a fairly well outfitted '08 KLR. I'm about 2k away from being 100% adventure worthy, I.e. New suspension and some luggage. My last bike was a brand new 09' Triumph Daytona 675 with a bit of kit. Yeah, little but of a departure.

I sold the Daytona mostly for financial reasons, but also I just didn't have the time or weather here in the Willamette Valley to do it justice. 20k or so KLR miles later I miss the hell out of going fast. So much so that my buddies Ninja 650R seemed like a race bike to me last time I hopped on it. Herein lies the question: how many of you have experienced the same single cylinder blues and what did you do about it? Replace your current dual with something like a Tiger800xc or Beemer F800GS? Or did you decide to keep the KLR-DR-XR what have you and get a second bike for the fast stuff?

Right now I'm leaning towards dedicating the KLR as my on/off road adventure rig, and investing in something like the hideous as it is fun street triple. For those that went a similar path did you find one bike ended up gathering dust? If you went the one bike route did the high tech larger adv bike disappoint on the more difficult trails? Or the twisites for that matter? For the record, I currently commute, and ride a lot of shotgun OHV type trails on the KLR. Love the gravel and exploring single tracks but definitely want the ability to do some serious multi-day adventure trips. Cheers!
KillerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer
 
ride4321's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Binghamton, NY
Oddometer: 1,813
I have a Tiger 1050 to compliment my DR650. That seems like a good combo to me. Tiger gets touring duty and "fun" rides, DR gets daily commuter duty and all dirt stuff. The 800XC could be a replacement for both I suppose but it'd be too nice of a bike for serious off road...at least for my abilities. I think the Street Triple would be a perfect compliment to the KLR.
__________________

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Flo_Evans's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Oddometer: 420
I am in the same "dilemma".

Currently have a G650x-challenge. It is a pretty good all-around bike. Can hop on the highway for a quick commute with no problems (10 miles) strap some bags to it and go (lightweight) camping, can handle ATV trails and some single track.

But I miss my ducati

My bro bought a F800GS and sold it shortly after (for a husky 449) it was an excellent tourer that could handle maintained gravel with ease but a pig in true single track. Fun enough on asphalt but not "fast" by sport bike standards.

I stop by the triumph/ducati/ktm shop my buddy works at frequently. If I had the money and time I would have one of each.

My other problem is 2 fresh kids so my riding time is cut significantly. I was going to take a week and just go get lost in southern mo/arkansas but work and kids got in the way. I can't really justify a 2nd bike right now so I am sticking with the X challenge unless someone invents a better all around bike that can do everything better.
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct
 
bomber60015's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago-ish
Oddometer: 10,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
I have a Tiger 1050 to compliment my DR650. That seems like a good combo to me. Tiger gets touring duty and "fun" rides, DR gets daily commuter duty and all dirt stuff. The 800XC could be a replacement for both I suppose but it'd be too nice of a bike for serious off road...at least for my abilities. I think the Street Triple would be a perfect compliment to the KLR.

Same in my motorpool, cept replace teh DR with a KLR650 . . . .

Both get workouts in keeping with their strengths (such as they are with the KLR ;-} ).
__________________
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
James Adams
Misplaced
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Metromess
Oddometer: 8,992
Always use the right tool for the job. Unless the fun comes from using the wrong tool.

James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Handy
Sunburnt
 
Handy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The great state of Idaho
Oddometer: 1,666
I have a KLX250S and a Tiger 955I at the moment. Pretty far apart, one great on the street and fine on dirt, the other great on dirt and OK on the highway. I don't fins myself riding the KLX as much since I got the tiger.
I have had a KLR650, XT600, and F650GS single in the past and the F650GS was the best of those three as far as jack of all trades, way better on the highway and considerably better on the dirt than the KLR.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Oddometer: 1,656
I mean, this is a motorcycle forum, right? Here's how the math works out:

Having 2 bikes is better than having 1 bike. Having 3 bikes is even better. Beyond 3, I think you begin to see some diminishing returns in terms of cost to own and space to store all the bikes, plus you can easily spend more time wrenching than riding with a whole stable full of bikes.
__________________
--------------------------- Steve----------------------------------------
'93 GL1500 frankenbike basketcase in progress
'96 DR350SE
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
KillerD OP
BoozeMagician
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 173
Ahhh, yes. Three bikes would certainly be the perfect solution. Unfortunately I think the odds of me affording any three bikes are about the same as those three bikes being a Desmosedicci, KTM1190, and a jet pack. Some day...
KillerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I mean, this is a motorcycle forum, right? Here's how the math works out:

Having 2 bikes is better than having 1 bike. Having 3 bikes is even better. Beyond 3, I think you begin to see some diminishing returns in terms of cost to own and space to store all the bikes, plus you can easily spend more time wrenching than riding with a whole stable full of bikes.
Good point. I was at four last year, but have been at three for a year. Three is a magic number. Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Rocker wins. Best Answer.

Kids do slow down the riding in the beginning, and it isn't their fault. You just decide to spend more time with the kids than the bikes. Eventually though, the kids get bigger and they end up playing with friends for a Saturday and lo and behold, you have a Saturday to ride.
"Full House" / "Full Garage". I'd have a hard time being a one-bike person after having at least two in the garage, and up to four, during the past 15-years.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
ZiaThunder
Go big or go home
 
ZiaThunder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: NM
Oddometer: 554
Well after having a Daytona, you won't be happy on an SV or any of those inline 4 things. (a 675 is an SV on steroids.)

Like many above have posted... more bikes is the answer. Think of it as the right tool for the job.

I have 6 bikes right now and they all have a specific purpose.

KTM: dirty fun.
TTR: pit bike and flat track fun.
Sprint: twisty road fun.
DRZ: Dual sport fun.
675: Race track fun.
250R: more race track fun... okay it's really to help me to go faster on the Tona and it's working. Not to mention, it's just a giggle to ride.
ZiaThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
sperz1
UnStudly Adventurer
 
sperz1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Oddometer: 829
I'm pretty happy having a few bikes at the house. Both of them get ridden.

The Buell is my daily commuter and touring bike. The full luggage is pretty much a requirement for me. Decent enough power, super fun to ride. It never leaves tierra firma though.

The DR350 is a blast in the woods and does just fine on the street. On occasion I'll use it to run errands around town. But for the most part it's for playing out in the woods.

After owning these two drastically different bikes I couldn't really imagine having one "do all". Considering I have very little money into the sum of them I think it's a no brainer.
__________________
It takes a lot of water to make dual sporting look this hard.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Benduro
None more black.
 
Benduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: El Portal, Ca
Oddometer: 2,108
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=439254

Time for more smokin'-deal drooling...

__________________
"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering." - Tom Waits
Benduro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Banjoland
Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I mean, this is a motorcycle forum, right? Here's how the math works out:

Having 2 bikes is better than having 1 bike. Having 3 bikes is even better. Beyond 3, I think you begin to see some diminishing returns in terms of cost to own and space to store all the bikes, plus you can easily spend more time wrenching than riding with a whole stable full of bikes.

I find this to be true, I worked my way into 4 bikes at one time, felt like having a pert time job keeping them all maintained.
__________________
Sandy Jackson
04 250 RFS

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Mid Calder,Scotland
Oddometer: 344
ktm lc4 640e with buttons that do things, and when I get that feeling of wanting to go faster, a 20 year old cbr 600,(strangley enough its an American import) both are sorted.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly
 
iyaoyas98's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Smyrna, TN
Oddometer: 6,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerD View Post
As I sit here in a waist high bath recovering from a riders worst nightmare (ass surgery) I find myself with ample time to waist on the ol' forums. So here goes:

I currently ride a fairly well outfitted '08 KLR. I'm about 2k away from being 100% adventure worthy, I.e. New suspension and some luggage. My last bike was a brand new 09' Triumph Daytona 675 with a bit of kit. Yeah, little but of a departure.

I sold the Daytona mostly for financial reasons, but also I just didn't have the time or weather here in the Willamette Valley to do it justice. 20k or so KLR miles later I miss the hell out of going fast. So much so that my buddies Ninja 650R seemed like a race bike to me last time I hopped on it. Herein lies the question: how many of you have experienced the same single cylinder blues and what did you do about it? Replace your current dual with something like a Tiger800xc or Beemer F800GS? Or did you decide to keep the KLR-DR-XR what have you and get a second bike for the fast stuff?

Right now I'm leaning towards dedicating the KLR as my on/off road adventure rig, and investing in something like the hideous as it is fun street triple. For those that went a similar path did you find one bike ended up gathering dust? If you went the one bike route did the high tech larger adv bike disappoint on the more difficult trails? Or the twisites for that matter? For the record, I currently commute, and ride a lot of shotgun OHV type trails on the KLR. Love the gravel and exploring single tracks but definitely want the ability to do some serious multi-day adventure trips. Cheers!
To answer your question, nope.

I'd rather dedicate a weekend to riding either dirt or street and have the best tool for the job. That's not to say my dirtbike (WR426) hasn't seen the interstate, and my streetbike (Speed Triple) hasn't seen gravel, but you get the idea.

I do alot more street in the hot months, and go wrestle in the woods when it cools off. Works for me.

iyaoyas98 screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 02:21 PM
iyaoyas98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014