ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,817
Pissed Idiots Knock over Gobblins in Gobblin Valley

So Sad.

Where is Judge Dread when you need him?

http://youtu.be/AYFD18BwmJ4

Men may face felony charges after toppling Goblin Valley formation
Ancient formation » 3 Scout leaders claim they worried the rock would fall and hurt someone.
By Janelle SteckleinAnd Jim Dalrymple II | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Oct 17 2013 02:54 pm • Updated 45 minutes ago

A group of Boy Scout leaders is potentially facing felony charges for destroying a rock formation millions of years old in Emery County.

The trio of men was adventuring in Goblin Valley State Park when they decided to film themselves knocking over one of the formations, known as "goblins."

They said later it appeared to them that it was ready to fall and might hurt someone.

In the video, posted on Facebook, one man can be seen leveraging himself against a nearby rock and pushing a formation over.

"Some little kid was about ready to walk down here and die and Glenn saved his life by getting the boulder out of the way," the cameraman is heard saying. "So it’s all about saving lives here at Goblin Valley."

After the rock falls, the three men laugh, cheer and high five each other.

Utah State Parks officials Thursday were not so amused.

"It is not only wrong, but there will be consequences," said spokesman Eugene Swalberg, noting that a criminal investigation is underway by State Parks authorities.

"This is highly, highly inappropriate," he said. "This is not what you do at state parks. It’s disturbing and upsetting."

Swalberg said it’s rare for tourists to destroy natural formations.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,148
This just pisses me off. Using their logic, we should just take them out to save the world from what they may or may not do. How many millions of years did that rock stay precariously balanced?
Its a State Park for the purpose of viewing the exact things they wrecked! If you want to play he-man go about 10 miles away and push whatever you want and I doubt anyone would say Boo. I don't believe for a minute any sincerity in their tone, they were just being jackasses. Ughh..rant off, for now!

MountainsandRivers screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 08:31 AM
MountainsandRivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
2degreesout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Moron do-gooders, hope those fat fuckers are heavily fined.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
jjmyzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
I thought only motor vehicles destroyed the environment? Maybe its just idiots, and it doesn't matter how they get there? This can be used to help save our sport at trail and rec. area use meetings.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,325
Too bad Darwin didn't come into play here with "fatty" being squashed by the rock he was pushing over. That would be some funny karma.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,008
So would it be legal to shoot this guy if you caught him vandalizing a monument?
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
modette
RMAR

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57...-hall.html.csp

Geologists say the rock dates back about 165 million years though the toppled formation was formed no more than 20 million years ago.

Deputy Emery County Attorney Brent Langston said he was aware of the incident, but it hasn’t been presented to his office yet for screening for possible charges.

"It’s not one we see every day," Langston said.

"Some things can’t be replaced, like photographs in a family album, but they have great sentimental value," he said.

He said anyone involved, including anyone who encouraged the criminal behavior, could face anywhere from a class B misdemeanor to a second-degree felony depending on how much the formation is valued.

Glenn Taylor said Thursday afternoon that he was the man who pushed over the formation, while Dave Hall filmed and Dylan Taylor looked on. According to Taylor, he and Hall are leaders for a local troop of the Boy Scouts of America. Hall added that the men also were acting as Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints youth leaders.

Taylor said he knocked the boulder to the ground after seeing a family walk by on a nearby popular path. When he touched the rock, Taylor noticed it was loose.

"I put my hand on a rock and it moved," he said. "While we were sitting right there we thought, ‘Man if this rock falls it’ll kill them.’ I didn’t have to push hard."

Taylor said that at the time he thought he was doing a "civic service" by taking down a loose rock. However, as he walked back to his car, he began thinking that he should have contacted a ranger about the loose rock. He also said he wished he could take back his actions.

"Glad we did it, wish we wouldn’t have done it," he said Thursday of his feelings about the incident.

Hall agreed with Taylor and added that the park was especially crowded that day, Oct. 11, due to national park closures during the government shutdown. The men were worried that a child would be crushed by the boulder, he said, and during his time in the park he only saw one ranger, who was stationed at the entrance.

"With the information we had we made the best decision we could," he said. "We weren’t there for vandalism or anything like that."
Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Too bad Darwin didn't come into play here with "fatty" being squashed by the rock he was pushing over. That would be some funny karma.
My thoughts EXACTLY!

Just saw it on USA today website. Their 'excuse' for pushing it over is a big fat LIE! Was willful destruction.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 599
I hate when Gov't tries to save us from everything remotely dangerous

now We have idiots like this"" helping us stay safe " also
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Infuriating.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Fuck that, those fat assholes were there to gleefully trundle, and are liars to boot. If the rock was so loose and precariously perched it wouldn't have taken half the effort it did to topple it; pretty obvious from the video.

Pretty inline with my experiences in scouts hosted by an LDS church. I hope they are charged and convicted for vandalizing public lands.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
As much as this sucks, I'll play devil's advocate for a minute.

Is it possible they are just ignorant and didn't realize what they were doing or the significance of it? When I was younger, I used to go play in the woods and push boulders down hills and try to break logs and other dumb stuff. I don't do that now because frankly what's the point.

I realize ignorance is no defense, and they should be punished, but I'm doubting they did anything with malice. I think they truly didn't realize what they were doing.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymcgee View Post

Is it possible they are just ignorant and didn't realize what they were doing or the significance of it? When I was younger, I used to go play in the woods and push boulders down hills and try to break logs and other dumb stuff. I don't do that now because frankly what's the point.

I realize ignorance is no defense, and they should be punished, but I'm doubting they did anything with malice. I think they truly didn't realize what they were doing.
It is very possible and that is the sad part. They were in a park to view the very things they destroyed, and I don't believe their story. They didn't act concerned for safety, they were being jackasses and now they are trying to justify their actions with a good Samaritan twist. And they are their youths leaders? Baby Jesus weeps for our future!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymcgee View Post

As kids we do stupid stuff no doubt, but these are adults and scout leaders so they know better and are held to a higher standard then children. Like you said you don't do this stuff anymore, and neither should they...they should of grown out of that a long time ago.

I hope they get a Felony conviction, no more guns, probably loose their jobs so no more vacations, no more voting....yep they just hurt their family doing a stupid act. You can not get any more dumber then that....wait you can as they filmed this whole thing and posted it for all to see.....LOL
Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
modette
RMAR

Here is a news report with some interviews:
http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories...vid_7550.shtml