Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Elusion OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Question how do you define your % offroad?

I'm curious how inmates get their percentage? Are you comparing miles/km-ON-road to miles/km-OFF-road or are you comparing Time?

For those that ride 90% offroad: I'm very envious. You must live in THE best part of the world to be near so much dirt. Or you REALLY like your neighborhood trail.

It takes me anywhere from 30-100 miles to get to anything decent. Combine that with my commute, I'm really racking up the miles on Slab. So, if I'm honest I'm only about 10% offroad by miles but 30% by Time (I ride slow off road).

Old 10-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusion View Post
I'm curious how inmates get their percentage? Are you comparing miles/km-ON-road to miles/km-OFF-road or are you comparing Time?

For those that ride 90% offroad: I'm very envious. You must live in THE best part of the world to be near so much dirt. Or you REALLY like your neighborhood trail.

It takes me anywhere from 30-100 miles to get to anything decent. Combine that with my commute, I'm really racking up the miles on Slab. So, if I'm honest I'm only about 10% offroad by miles but 30% by Time (I ride slow off road).

This is a damn good question.

I base my percentage on time off road because time is slower off road due to the slower speeds.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
Off road or off pavement?
I don't see many people here riding true off road.
I ride a lot of grave logging roads here in WNC but they are roads.

OP probably means off pavement. Big deal riding off pavement.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Off road or off pavement?
I don't see many people here riding true off road.
I ride a lot of grave logging roads here in WNC but they are roads.

OP probably means off pavement. Big deal riding off pavement.
Yeah, there's that too...F700GS off road is typically not WR450 offroad, but I think his premise is still valid.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Yeah, there's that too...F700GS off road is typically not WR450 offroad, but I think his premise is still valid.
Does not matter what you are on, riding on a dirt road is not off road.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Sigh.....
Old 10-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:

You're telling me that the 2 1/2 miles of dirt road I ride on my GSXR1000 from my ranch to the nearest paved road every day is not off road??
It's not on road, but it's not off road so it's...

I really don't calculate percentages so it doesn't matter to me. I do have several "dirt bikes" that I take to the desert but I ride all my bikes on and off the road.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
So a Ducati 1098 would be a good choice for those who live 30 miles out on Forest Service roads?

I think the subject of percentage off road vs. on road is most often brought up in the context of tires. A pure street tire will not be suitable for dirt roads, and a full knobbie will not be good for track days at Laguna Seca. So, we (I) make a wild guess at what percentages of different terrain I will ride. While I probably over-estimate the amount of dirt I will see, it is easier for me to adjust my speed on pavement with a dual sport tire, than climb a dirt hill on a street tire, so I am fine with it.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
I'm curious how inmates get their percentage?
Most take actual and multiply by 4 and then round up to the nearest 10 percent increment

05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
I thought all the KTM guys are 110% dirt, even when commuting to work they take the TAT trail.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
I thought all the KTM guys are 110% dirt, even when commuting to work they take the TAT trail.
But the TAT ain't off road. IMHO or Barnone's opinion too.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
I DON'T define it that way. Our slab around here is posted 70MPH, but almost nobody goes that slow. A bike capable of cruising comfortably at 75-80MPH is what most people around here would want to be on if they actually want to be able to get around without carefully planning how to avoid slab. By just personal observation, those are the kinds of motos that most riders around here seem to be on...big cruisers and big sportbikes. Any slab-capable/dirt-capable motos that I see tend to be big BMW and Suzuki DL adv bikes. The Tiger 800 XC or F800Gs occasionally puts in an appearance, but I see the heavier bikes more frequently. I see quite a few thumper dualsports around towns too, but almost never see them on the slab. At around 367lb curb, I'm usually on the lightest bike out on the slab that I see locally.

By comparison, heading off the pavement around here usually lands you in soft sand or mud pretty quick. This is the kind of terrain that looks/seems simple at first glance, but I read a LOT of posts about how even the big thumpers are a handful in sand, let alone a big multi-cylinder bike that's over 500lb. Then one can factor in that many dualsports, even smaller ones, often aren't offered/equipped with sand-friendly treads. The off-pavement ventures around here can get pretty difficult for many riders without even being an issue for a Toyota Corolla. I almost never see multi-cylinder bikes off-pavement around here. Outside of people I've met through this site, I almost never even see ANY street-legal bikes off-pavement around here. The vast majority of dirt riders I encounter seem to be on an off-pavement-only bike, or on a quad.

I therefore ride about an 80/80 bike. It'll comfortably cruise 80MPH 2up on slab. It can also exceed 80MPH in the sand without killing me.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
My former DRZ (bought new in 2002) was ridden at least 80% off ROAD, on TRAILS, and was set up accordingly. And I lived (and still do) in Massachusetts. I lived in the triangle between the Pittsfield, Tolland and Beartown state forests that have riding areas. And used a lot of local knowledge trails too.

That's going by time, the mileage proportion would be about the same IF instead of off-ROAD, we used off-PAVEMENT.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Depends on the bike. The RZ and Tuono see little off road. However the YZ and CRF see no road use. I don't do "dual sport" and believe in using the tools best suited for the job. So either 100% or .003%.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
This thread has inspired me to do the math because I've been curious, so here are two maps of the trip I did last summer:

The plan was to ride as much dirt (counting dirt roads as dirt)as I could, and by the end it felt like I had ridden a lot of freakin dirt.
The first map is of the plan, and it came out pretty close to what happened. The green line which I rode is mostly dirt, the red and black lines are truck by highway.
The second map I just made, represents the paved roads that I rode on. It really doesn't look like much. Visually, maybe 10% of the trip was pavement, and that's what I felt like by the end. It was like a 99% dirt ride!

The second map adds up to 600 miles of pavement.
The total ride was 2350 miles.
25% on paved roads

I conclude that to get 90% off road, a few things need to happen:
1: Have an awesome plan, and not much can go wrong. Four of those long sections above could have been planned away better, the rest are from things going wrong (forest fires) or not following the original plan (got tired and hungry)
2: Live or ride somewhere that has a lot of dirt roads that go somewhere
3: Count it by time rather than distance. I can go 100 miles on road without a pee break. 100 miles off road will probably include a lunch stop.
4: Your bike is going to spend some miles in a truck. The good news is that those miles don't count toward tires or oil changes.
5: Don't ever tally up your mileage breakdown unless you're ready for it
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote