User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
How do I learn electrical systems?

Currently trying to build/restore/fix a crf450x into a do it all bike. I'm almost done, but am running into problems with the wiring. The problem is that I don't know a single thing about wires, diagrams, or how any of it works. I'm not looking for help, rather I'm looking for anyone who knows a book, guide, or manual that will help me understand the electrical system. Something as simple as installing a keyed ignition with only 4 wires terrifies the hell out of me, and it's completely unacceptable. I just don't want to be posting questions, and endlessly searching the web for every issue.

So is there a book you read that would help me understand the electrical system?

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
Google is your friend :-)

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Electrica...ic_wiring.html

http://www.currenteffects.com/

Start here. It is not really that complicated when you get into it, pretty much all you need to know you learned in elementary school in your physics class:-)
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Thanks, but i've already read both of those articles and many more.

To give yall an idea of what I'm looking for - when I bought my new Nikon D7000 I also picked up an 800 page book that helped me learn the camera front to back. I could have went online and read every one page article available, but I prefer having a nice book to turn to that has most of the answers i'm looking for.

I know - this is a strange request in todays world where most people can barely focus enough attention on one article on the internet, let alone a whole book lol.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
To be safe use your battery charger set at 2amps for testing,electrical basically point to point. you will probably find it easier if you mark your schematic at each connection as you trace the switches on the schematic ,if not available use c colored pencil for claroity
etc.ie the ignition switch:
on- connects to various other systems and relays, trace that out, maybe make a chart with the connections being noted. start-to the interlocks(which you may want to disarm but before you do be model wise) start motor etc
if you do this before you start,by the time it is all done your understanding will have been to a point where you are ready to begin the connections. tie them when finished as close to the connections to keep the stress off them,separate- protect them from vibration and chaffing with additional looms.
dan mc online training will help here also. the owners manual has some info on switch positions and the related lights and switch positions needed ie kill to on,clutch in,stand up.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Ele.../dp/1859604714

Combin the above book with a course at a community college, and you'll be comfortable with troubleshoting and repair within a few weeks.

FYI: A battery charger is not a diagnostic tool (though a good regulated power supply can help with diagnostics). Get a multimeter.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
One of my biggest breakthroughs with electrical work was when my neighbor who is an electrician told me not to think about it all as wire and electricity, but like water and pipes...suddenly everything made tons more sense to me and seemed a lot less scary lol.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric View Post
just so people don't get unnecessarily confused, the statement on that page that "All power for all systems on a motorcycle comes directly from the battery. The alternator is only used to charge the battery and prevent it from becoming depleted during normal use." is not true on many bikes.

on many bikes a lot of stuff is powered directly by the alternator/stator (and uses AC rather than DC).
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote