User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Night riding?

I work part-time at a gun store. Here in AZ it's damn near dark this time of year a 6pm, definitely dark at 7pm. I don't like riding at night, I admit; because I think all the bad/inattentive stuff cagers do during the day are magnified at night; not to mention that they may be even more "impaired" for whatever reason.

I'd like to know (from those of you who do it a lot) what your suggestions might be re: how to survive this situation? I have many years of riding under my belt; but as I write this, I realize that very few of them were riding at night.

Thanks for your input:
Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
I just hammer down and hope for the best. Traffic isn't much different. If anything better because your lights are more visible.

Deer, on the other hand...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,485
Same as the Daylight except you need to be hyper-vigilant for animals. (2 and 4 legged ones)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 08:38 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,468
Nocturnal animals will give ya a fright when they're just standing there on the side of the road; with my luck I'll be cruising the roads through the bayou and a friggen alligator will attempt to cross the road and I hit it. I leave the office at midnight and sometimes I just go for a ride instead of heading home. I'll end up in New Orleans or Mobile by the secondary roads and it's drunks and critters I look out for. I find that the roads are kind of empty the later it gets and I like that; you can really see the texters and phone users by the glow of the phone, easier to avoid them at night.

I noticed that I speed more during the daylight hours and I tend to keep the speed down to the actual speed limit at night. The cops have nothing better to do and you're a prime target for speed checks, at least where I live. I already got pulled over once this year and was let go with a warning. You'll get hyper-aware when riding at night, you'll get used it but don't let your guard down.

You really want to pucker up? Ride at night during a rain storm with a cross wind.

Contevita screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 10:43 PM
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post

I noticed that I speed more during the daylight hours and I tend to keep the speed down to the actual speed limit at night.

You really want to pucker up? Ride at night during a rain storm with a cross wind.

At night I slow down and don't out run my lights. For critters it seems the most active times are just before and after dawn or dusk.

My last encounter with a deer (doe) I didn't see her until she had moved, she was already on the fog line on the other side of a two lane highway. She turned sideways and started crossing the road slowly with her nose about 2 feet above the highway moving sideways back and forth with her ears pinned back. She apparently smelled a predator and was following a scent trail -or her fawn. I knew she could see me with my high beams on and I started hitting the brakes pretty hard. She kept coming with her nose still only two feet above the road. I ended up on the other side of my fog line and had the front brakes on so hard I almost lifted the rear tire. When I finally stopped she was about 3 feet from me - I could have reached out and slapped her. THEN she bolted back across the road. Deer are always unpredictable at best. A week later some other rider tagged her a mile away from where I encountered her. Deer sometimes just don't stop - or they bolt when you get close to them. Mixed bag those are...

Rain slows me down even further, plus you can't tell how deep those potholes are when they're filled with water. Those will get your attention in a hurry.

If I have two hours or so riding into the sunrise or sunset - I'll wait for either the sun to come up or go down and then hop on the bike and ride. Having that much glare into "everyone's" eyes makes riding simply dangerous in my opinion.

Adding a pair of high power LEDs tied into my high beam really helps at night.

WindSailor screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 12:31 PM
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Spring for the SOLAS Tape. It's super bright from every angle. I got it off ebay fairly cheap.

That was just a 2 inch strip angled down on my jesse bags.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Jumping Jack Flash
USG Vagabond

Oddometer: 104
Thanks for the SOLAS tape tip. A roll of that stuff is under 10 bucks and as I ride to work before dawn most days and enjoy night riding this is getting ordered today.

**edit**Ordering in strips that is. I misread the pricing....it is NOT $10/roll!!! A twelve foot length is $16 bucks...although priceless for additional visibility in low light/dark.
Jumping Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
I had this experience earlier this week and did not enjoy it at all. It was windy all afternoon (~30mph sustained with gusts up to 50). But on my way home from a friends house after dark it threw rain into the mix. I didn't enjoy it one bit (Only about a week of riding experience so far). But I slowed down and took my time and made it back wet but safe.

I think everyone else has already said it, but at night just slow down and take your time. If you need to just allow a little extra time to get to your destination.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Same as the Daylight except you need to be hyper-vigilant for animals. (2 and 4 legged ones)

For me, I'm not too worried about deer here, but there are plenty of other critters that I still don't want to hit. This time of year, it's mainly skunks (and pedestrians ).

But other than that, it's pretty much the same as riding in the daylight. Make sure you can see and that you can be seen as best you can.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

exactly. critters! deer especially. socal it's easy at times to almost forget about them when riding in the urbs or burbs... not so much out in the country but it's really nothing compared to northern cali or other places. seeing the eyes glowing at you or the deer standing on the side of the road is a bit un-nerving. dealt with it in cages before without any stress, (any multi-thousand pound steel beast with insurance will do) but its a big difference riding the bike cruising through the forests at night.

skipping the critters... it took a while to get used to riding the bike at night on the back roads, but I just dial it back a bit (ok at times substantially) and roll. other vehicles on the road don't concern me any more at night than day. perhaps even less so since we all have headlights on and therefore are a typically a bit more visable.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I do not ride after dark and before dawn, I wait 1-2hrs after daylight.

I like riding and don't want to take unnecessary risks.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
These posts from Southerners have me cracking up!

When I lived in Dixie, at night I ran into drunks, drunks with no lights on driving in the wrong lane on purpose, drunk armadillos, indian burial mounds, giant snakes and even a couple of drunk ranchers with one seriously spooked (drunk) horse.

I think this is why Southern Gothic novels are so superior to anything a Yankee can write......there is just far more bizarre, mythical and drunk shenanigans to write about.
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUglyEarly View Post

When I lived in Dixie, at night I ran into drunks, drunks with no lights on driving in the wrong lane on purpose, drunk armadillos, indian burial mounds, giant snakes and even a couple of drunk ranchers with one seriously spooked (drunk) horse.

I think this is why Southern Gothic novels are so superior to anything a Yankee can write......there is just far more bizarre, mythical and drunk shenanigans to write about.
So, are you insinuating that those of us of the south shouldn't allow our horses to get drunk when we are out having our evening libations?

We get pretty good at dodging drunks here in the south. Give them a wide berth, get way in front of them or pull over and take a break. If you pull over the drunks will usually clear the path for you going forward (trees, bushes, mailboxes). Also, assume that any vehicle with the lights off after dark is being driven by someone way over the legal limit (a cop taught me that one).

I have always loved riding after dark. Risk goes way up, but sometimes it is just worth it.

Doug in Kentucky
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
jrou111
Stair Climber

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUglyEarly View Post

I can identify with this post really well. I ride a lot at night in rural AL, and have had some CRAZY things happen. Maybe I need to write some of them down sometime.
jrou111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
I do not ride after dark and before dawn, I wait 1-2hrs after daylight.

I like riding and don't want to take unnecessary risks.

ok, so you are "concerned" to ride in the dark or perhaps have eyesight issues... (for that matter I know individuals that otherwise are fine but do not drive vehicles on freeways... and this is in socal)

but what's up with the waiting 1-2 hours after daylight? is there an issue with the dawn tricking you in some way?
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote