Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
This is not a sportbike.....

My bike:

What happened:

The past few days I have noticed a few things. First, it has been cooler in the mornings. And, I put the windshield on, which I seldom use, does really change the way the bike feels. I seemed to be riding about 10mph faster than normal. I was working hard to get that under control...not easy, kinda enjoyed it. Second, my throttle has been a bit sticky over the past little while. Tried real hard to adjust it....no good, replacements are on order as of today. All of this leads to.....

Heading to work on Friday morning, in the dark, with windshield installed and sticky throttle, came into a right hander a bit hotter than I expected. Popped the clutch, a bit of engine braking, got on the binders, countersteered for all I was worth, which resulted in:

And:

The brace for the right footboard dragged a bit along with a bit of the frame. There is a dip there as the paving from one road joins to the other.

I didn't go down. But, as the footboard folded I wound up no place for my right foot. The asphalt grabbed the toe of my boot and pulled my foot backwards. (Shout out for Foxhead Comp S boots. Tough boots. No signs of wear or damage at all....amazing!!!!) Slight bruise on my ankle from the boot top.

The next thing I need to do....clean my seat. Seems it has gotten a bit , um, soiled!?!! Geez, this type of thing hasn't happened in quite a few years. Just goes to show that regardless of experience you too can have a "gotcha" moment. How pathetic am I that I didn't pay more attention than I did?

After years of riding sport bikes, I have been sharpening the boards on my Road King on nearly a daily basis. I really love this bike. Just gotta keep the speed down and pay attention to road surfaces. This was the closest to a get off I have had in a while....man, was I nervy on the way home.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 157
I bet that got your attention in a hurry. Glad you are ok.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMedic View Post
I bet that got your attention in a hurry. Glad you are ok.
Yeah, gave me the heebie geebies. Was still a bit nervy today when I went for a ride. I have the cables on order, they won't be here until thursday and I will be installing next weekend. Gonna have to ride more with the windshield to get accustomed to it more....

Was a bit more tentative today during the ride. It is still an amazing bike. Love the fact that the big girl will dance amazingly well, when asked nicely. Sure, she isn't a sportbike, but she does make me giggle!!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,607
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=25123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
A LOT of people crash because their bike can not lean enough to compensate for a minor mistake.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
badstewie
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
A LOT of people crash because their bike can not lean enough to compensate for a minor mistake.
That being said, it seems to me (a brand new rider with only a couple weeks experience) to be a good idea to get in the habit of getting off the seat and leaning to the inside so the bike leans less, leaving an extra margin for unexpected situations. I have talked to a couple of long time riders about this and all of them thought it was unnecessary on the street or only for cruisers with low clearance. Am I out of line thinking having the extra lean available is a good idea?

Bad Stewie
badstewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
A lot of people crash because the rider can not let the bike lean as far as the bike is capable of leaving them unable to compensate for a minor mistake.

Many riders panic at the first noises they hear from touching down. They do all sorts of dumb stuff at that point.

I find that in spirited riding, I feel much more comfortable with blind and unknown corners having as much in reserve as possible. Body position is key for this but I don't hang off, just shift my weight. It doesn't take much to make a big difference; especially on a big cruiser/tourer.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
It is still an amazing bike. Love the fact that the big girl will dance amazingly well, when asked nicely. Sure, she isn't a sportbike, but she does make me giggle!!
Yeah, I'm loving my Softail Deluxe too.

I took the footboards off and put pegs on for more leg room, more natural foot angle, AND more cornering clearance. Still grind the peg on the right and the "jiffy stand" on the left just for fun on most rides tho. I too have thought about raising mine. Funny, most Harley riders lower their bikes and here we are talking about raising ours.

For me, anything two-wheeled. Having fun in the far north, Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Riding home from work today, I nearly broke into giggles....the Road King really is that much fun. It is not a sportbike, but it does put grins on your face. And, isn't that the point. I think that too much emphasis is placed, by many, on the specs of a bike. I remember MG Midgets, they weren't fast, they weren't the best cars in any way, but they sure were fun to drive. Kinda like my old Tacoma, not fast, not the most exciting, but it sure is fun.

I kinda see the Harley as a 2-wheel truck. I can carry all my stuff with me. Be comfortable. Have fun in the twisties and never worry too much about the Popo...like the MG above, I ain't really going that fast.

Whoever said that riding a slow bike fast was fun was.........RIGHT!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I remember the first time I leaned a bike far enough over to grind hard parts (not very far on that bike), it scared the shit out of me briefly. It was on my father-in-laws Yamaha Road Star. I figured out there is actually a replaceable feeler on the bottom of the floor board, since then I ground a few of them off I figured out cruisers are not for me.

I'm glad you didn't panic and wipe out.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Yeah, I'm loving my Softail Deluxe too.

Beauty.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,807
Yeah, I toss mine around like it's a track bike also!

.....on my electra glide model the foot board steel mounts can be raised up to a higher bolt position, check your model it might be adjustable as well.

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Yeah, I toss mine around like it's a track bike also!

.....on my electra glide model the foot board steel mounts can be raised up to a higher bolt position, check your model it might be adjustable as well.

mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post

The brace for the right footboard dragged a bit along with a bit of the frame. There is a dip there as the paving from one road joins to the other.

I didn't go down.
I did, on my CB650. A corner almost right in front of my house, I had taken it a thousand times. One time, just a little hotter than normal, hit that dip and next thing I knew I was sitting on the ground watching my bike slide across the street. It was my second get off in a week, so I stopped riding for the rest of the summer. (about a month)

I had my Road Glide down on the Dragon and ground off about 3/8" rom my right side floorboard. The guy behind me said he could hear me grinding. I think the kickstand touches down first on the other side, so I don't push it so hard on that side.

One thing I do when I ride that bike fast is I point my toes out and down a little so that they act as curb feelers and when I feel my foot touch I know that the bike is not far from touching.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
alii1959 OP
Studly Adventurer

Sharpening floor boards is one of my favorite sports!! But, I suppose there is a limit!