User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,791
Year of the Race Bike

I want to put together a better bike than the Boxer of Hammers. I want to put together a more purpose built race bike, specific to off road endeavors, and I could use your input.

Dont want to use a standard loop frame. Dont want it to be a re-purposed street bike, cool as that is. Not going to bother with HPN gussets and tinkering with all that.

I want a Rooney Frame. We'll see how he comes back with pricing.

HEre are the basic ideas:

Rooney frame (white, probably)

with the 1100 swingarm and paralever rear diff.

Ohlins rear shock in center mounted/no linkage R1100GS position.

Front end: something modern, either DRZ, or CRF, or YZ/WR. Actually leaning towards Honda or Yamaha. Something post 2008, but I dont need/want USD's, necessarily.

Engine:

Well, the R65 turned into an 850 ala rooney is a great suggestion for getting the overall width 50mm narrower, but there is a LOT of jiggery-pokery, and expense.

Probably straight up R100 would be the overall best result? Best bang for buck, as long as the overall dimensions are all the same?

Probably dual plug the heads and do a powerdynamo ignition. Dual plugs for better fuel consumption and redundancy.

Probaly DR650 30L tank, unless i also get one of Rooney's collector/exhausts that allows both rear side of the bike to be clear, and I still a pair of 8L tanks back there, and go with a smaller tank up front, like a 12 or 15L. (I like this idea)

This should give me a 60horse airhead that weighs 350lbs with 12inches of travel.

Is this something you all could help me with, idea-wise?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
So I take it winter has set in up there.

I'll be watching. As soon as the HPN is 100% done I'm going to build something with an 1100 swingarm. You can go ahead now and make all my mistakes for me ahead of time. Thanks for that.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
I like it already

You could talk to Dmaster as he is working on such a project. But he is planning to use a modified stock frame.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I want to put together a better bike than the Boxer of Hammers. I want to put together a more purpose built race bike, specific to off road endeavors, and I could use your input.

Dont want to use a standard loop frame. Dont want it to be a re-purposed street bike, cool as that is. Not going to bother with HPN gussets and tinkering with all that.

I want a Rooney Frame. We'll see how he comes back with pricing.

HEre are the basic ideas:

Rooney frame (white, probably)

with the 1100 swingarm and paralever rear diff.

Ohlins rear shock in center mounted/no linkage R1100GS position.

Front end: something modern, either DRZ, or CRF, or YZ/WR. Actually leaning towards Honda or Yamaha. Something post 2008, but I dont need/want USD's, necessarily.

Engine:

Well, the R65 turned into an 850 ala rooney is a great suggestion for getting the overall width 50mm narrower, but there is a LOT of jiggery-pokery, and expense.

Probably straight up R100 would be the overall best result? Best bang for buck, as long as the overall dimensions are all the same?

Probably dual plug the heads and do a powerdynamo ignition. Dual plugs for better fuel consumption and redundancy.

Probaly DR650 30L tank, unless i also get one of Rooney's collector/exhausts that allows both rear side of the bike to be clear, and I still a pair of 8L tanks back there, and go with a smaller tank up front, like a 12 or 15L. (I like this idea)

This should give me a 60horse airhead that weighs 350lbs with 12inches of travel.

Is this something you all could help me with, idea-wise?
Do you want to run or do you want to win? And what are you running against? What kind of course?

Why the paralever?

You can go to an offset pin piston and cut off the jugs to reduce width. but--it's still a mile wide airhead. Pistons pricy but the machine work shouldn't be bad.

For a tighter course, a motor that can put out big torque will give more speed than one that is a HP monster. A huge disadvantage of the airhead is the entire driveline. Eats power. With a selection of rear drives, you can change gearing for the course almost as fast as swapping sprockets.

350lbs???? Hmmm.....

For the cost of an Ohlins shock you can get something that's 1/3 the price, 95% the performance and take the savings and go to dozens of races. If you want to look badass you need the Ohlins. But you better win...getting whupped on by some farmboy with a fraction of the budget and many times the riding skill can make you look silly.

Getting rid of the starter and big battery can go far. Ditto the alternator. Again, depends on the course. Not difficult to build it so you can take 'em or leave 'em.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Do you want to run or do you want to win? And what are you running against? What kind of course?

Why the paralever?

You can go to an offset pin piston and cut off the jugs to reduce width. but--it's still a mile wide airhead. Pistons pricy but the machine work shouldn't be bad.

For a tighter course, a motor that can put out big torque will give more speed than one that is a HP monster. A huge disadvantage of the airhead is the entire driveline. Eats power. With a selection of rear drives, you can change gearing for the course almost as fast as swapping sprockets.

350lbs???? Hmmm.....

For the cost of an Ohlins shock you can get something that's 1/3 the price, 95% the performance and take the savings and go to dozens of races. If you want to look badass you need the Ohlins. But you better win...getting whupped on by some farmboy with a fraction of the budget and many times the riding skill can make you look silly.

Getting rid of the starter and big battery can go far. Ditto the alternator. Again, depends on the course. Not difficult to build it so you can take 'em or leave 'em.
This would be for long distance cross country rallies. Like Serres, or Baja Rally, or Amegeza, Morroco, or even Tuareg which now has a big twin class.

I dont care if I win. I want to participate, and I like doing it on the airheads. I like keeping the guys up front honest. And so far, finishing all my rallies has been a good enough hoot to keep me happy.

I'm looking at getting a bigger fuel cell on my BMW G450X for some deeper-in-the-dunes- rallying. - thinking of entering the Diabolical Rally in Mexico this April/May on it.

Both bikes need at least 150miles fuel range, minimum.

Paralever so I can use the 1100 swingarm, and use the 4 lug hubs.

I hear MOtoren Isreal makes a reduced width cylinder that you stick a reduced crown-to-pin dimensino that will lower overall width of the R100 by 7mm per side.. but i didnt think that amount of width was worth it. Enduro's its hard.. Rallies are a little easier in that regard. I still in a perfect world would do the R65 with R100 cyls, and go the whole route of shaving the cyls/getting matching slim pistons. I'm open to that, still... its just a lot more expensive.

350 lbs? :maybe? :icandreamcanti?

I was actually thinking about a Wilbers shock, since they have treated me so well up till now, on both other bikes.
Honestly, yellow wont really work with teh Airhead RAllye Team colors, anyway.

Already ditching the big battery- Shorai is working well. Cant very well lose the starter. :( I can get rid of a Lot of alternator stuff.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
I dont care if I win. I want to participate, and I like doing it on the airheads
Ras Thurlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,537
Quote:
...I like keeping the guys up front honest. ...

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
+1

it's great seeing what a box'r of hammers can do

Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
I'm curious about the Rooney frames. I'd imagine there is a big difference in flex/stiffness over your PD or B'o'H? Is there a weight savings?

I'd love to see some pics of just the frame or engine in frame to see how it's mounted clearly.

I'm still planning on making a trail bike out of my /5 sometime. Been collecting parts and I'm about done working on the jig design for my swing arm project so I can make this:

Just need to find a shop to help machine the jig. I'm hoping to have the swing arm bolted on by spring.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Sounds awesome and I want 1 myself. Another alternative on the ignition side is the RED CENTER Aussie made ignition. I have fitted on to my GS. The Red Center system replaces the Bean can with a 2 hall effect sensor system so you can have 2 sensors firing 2 of the ignition modules firing 2 twin coils firing 4 plugs. Two complete systems. My GS has 2500km on this so far and running sweet

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 01:53 PM
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Sounds awesome and I want 1 myself. Another alternative on the ignition side is the RED CENTER Aussie made ignition. I have fitted on to my GS. The Red Center system replaces the Bean can with a 2 hall effect sensor system so you can have 2 sensors firring 2 of the ignition modules firring 2 twin coils firring 4 plugs. Two complete systems. My GS has 2500km on this so far and running sweet
I will check that out, for sure.. thanks!
Old 11-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Talk to Manuel. I bet he can give you some ideas.

346 lbs with everything except gas.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Talk to Manuel. I bet he can give you some ideas.

346 lbs with everything except gas.
Qui est Manuel? You realize that guy on that red bike is like, seven feet tall, right?

ANd yes- The Long Winter of Our Soul has set in for 2014
Old 11-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

MOst important question: What color?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,245
Quote: