Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,538
Cool2 One week ride, McAllen TX - Chiapas Mex.

I do not have much time to do long trips, this is the longer one I have done, I mean in days. We spent 9 days riding. And we enjoyed a lot all the way down and up.
Almost 4,000 km round trip, we faced at least 4 road blockings, we got stopped by bad guys twice, also by a two drunked guys asking for money to keep on drinking, and the most dangerous: a bunch of school teachers road block..., but I'm here to tell the full story...

As soon as I upload the pics on the photobucket I'll share, Chiapas is an AMAZING land. have not been there since I was 9 yrs old, so I totally got re-amazed.

We definitively will go AGAIN to spend much more time.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 09:26 AM
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

CHAPTER 1

EFRA's TOPCASE

It's 2 pm , Friday October 11 , the bikes ready with their maintenance and upgrades of equipment and other accessories necessary for maximum enjoyment to go in the 9 days to come.
CARDO communicators are programmed, tested and all were in communication.
We take startup photo and begin riding! is 2:40 PM . Andres goes ahead , I'll 2nd, 3rd JC EFRA 4th .
At 50 meters starting feel a little bump on my left knee and I think it is a stone that 's bike threw Andres and do not give importance . But I immediately speaks JC by cardo and ask me whom is a cell that fell .... Chingue su madre! , my invention to operate the nextel did not work , and put it in the tank bag .... for the rest of the trip ...
We take the new road that cuts through the exit at Ciudad Victoria , without going through the whole city. Soon we are already crossing the checkpoint , we were let in without question or ask for papers
Soon we are getting gas at the "Y " at 100 km from Reynosa . From here we will not stop until reach Aldama , Tam . Where we planned to spend the night at the home of JC , which is alone for more than five years .he have give instructions ahead to have it clean with light and water ready for that night.
It's hot, but the air does not feel much unless we stop for something.
We take Highway 180 , and began riding sections that are still under repair. Deviations are short sections with dirt that does not really make us lose time.
In one of the last sections, is markedly higher and I see that to get to the top, Andres jumps due to the speed and making quick pass, and at the same time I see that from one side of the road comes a man in a hurry making signals to slow down ... or to stop? I interpret it as slowing down , because it is stretch under construction, but as I pass right in front of him at speed, I see that he carries an AK -47 and still waving me to slow down... and I see further next to a truck, these other three also with Cuernos de Chivo.... I wave salute the guy and keep rolling, then I look ahead and see Andres turning back.... I see in the mirror Efrain and JC already stoped standing before the enmatracado.

Wwe are fucked up (I think..) So I turn backl, and taking off a glove to start getting some money ... when I get there all men are asking where we're going and all about the bikes, then they warmly greet us hi-fiving and fist , and one of them - leader - tells us to take a picture of him on one of the bikes and they wave us by, wishing us the best of lucks and amazed that we were going to Chiapas!

We started riding again really relieved.... but some shitty smell was on the air..

So more ahead we stoped and asked Efra and JC why they did stop, since Andres and myself made it thru with no problem. and Efra Says, we did not stop becase of them asking to stop, I stop because my topcase got opened right in front of these guys and many stuff jumped out of the case, so I had to stop men...! I had an $800 camera in there and needed to make sure I got it,.... noo shiitt!!! what a f*&&%K bad luck of you... ... hahahaha
We did not stop laughing for a while.
We made ti to Aldama at 7 pm and realized that JC house was not cleaned, there was even a dead cat, and no water, so we went to a small hotel. got some cheap rooms and eat a wonderful tacos pastor, steak , chorizo , etc.... and there went to sleep ... well , when we ran out of tkt 's

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 10:29 PM
Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Next day, we took a shortcut that takes you to Tampico in the half time than the known and used road. And is paved, with ocean views, rivers, etc.

We were very anxious to get to Veracruz for our second night and have a welcome dinner from our guests over there (Andres' cousin). This is the view we had while dinner on Veracruz

but before continue, there are couple hickups and pics that I'll post in a while.

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 11-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
OK, I'm in!

You guys sound like my friends from Laredo when we did a Matamoros to Veracruz run.

Will be watching this thread for the rest of this ride. I'm guessing some cahuamas and more tkts are involved!

Cuerno de chivo? Holy cow...

Photos, please.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

OK,

I'm riding very pacefully enjoying the Veracruz Costa Esmeralda view, and then JC call me on the radio and tells me that something just flew out of my bike and almost hit him on the face...
I slow a little bit and pay attention to the bike and hear a strange noise, shit, this is no good. I pull over and we start checking the bike. Andres and Efra are way ahead.
I find out that the Chain slider is torn. Damn! there is only a piece holding and flapping, so I tear it apart and in my mind I forward picture a worn swing arm.

We go on and keep riding and little later JC call me again.... damn! I'm toasted I think..
But then says, I feel my bike weird man! I tell him to pass me so I can check it.
He passes and I see he has the rear tire flat.

We keep riding but slowing down and soon we see the other bikes parked on the shoulder and we pull over again. I take out one of the few green slime I carry.
The other two guys are across the road having a cool beverage and staring at us! WTF with you!

we stuff the green thing into the tire and soon we go on.

We get to Cardel and stop at a Desponchadora (tire repair place) to do another repair for JC.. We are waiting for him and Andres sees on the ground a piece of car facia plastic and I picked it up and see that is a perfect piece of garbage that can be attached to my bike instead of the chain slider, so I put it into my bag.

Finally we get to Veracruz, get to the hotel, get a cold shower, then Andres' cousin pick us up for dinner. Great!

We then mean to have fun for the rest of the day...

Lunch-Dinner Time!!

Pescado Zarandeado

en Mandinga

Andy pretty Busy

Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 10:25 PM
Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Dinner - Check.
next

get relax before go to bed and went to Andres relatives place for a final chat for the night and some final soft drinks

afterwards we decided to go out towards the hotel and have some tacos (more food..??)

in order to have the tacos processed faster, went for a walk on the downtown at 2:00 am

Mexico is still safe...!!

the ADVBeatles in Veracruz!!

How much for each song?
50 pesos

naah! you are dead tired and sleepy

I got some cheap "COHIBA", Made in San Andres Tuxtla Veracruz, but still good quality (400 pesos for 25 pretty good cigars)

Alright, lets get some sleep...
this guy went ahead of us....

Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 10:06 PM
Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
A one week ride, McAllen TX - Chiapas Mex.

Uff. Que belleza han visto amigos!

"The true delight is in the finding I out rather than in the knowing." - Isaac Asimov

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940

Sun Ray screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 08:21 PM
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,061
very nice. keep them coming.

NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Next day took the Rt 307 to Comitan and from there took a secondary road that meets with rt 218 before Ocosingo.

About 5 km before get to Ocosing, there was a road block with a tree trunk and two guys asking for a "cooperacion" to aid their needs... (drink?)

me: How much to let us thru man?

guy: 10 pesos...

akward silent....

me: o...kay... here you go..

guy: thank you!.. go ahead...

after that, JC still was having trouble with his rear tire flat, so Andres, we were re-inflate it every some miles, so finally at Ocosingo we stop at a "Talachera" to get the flats fixed..

While waiting for JC and Andres, a guy washing his truck told me that we should get prepared for road block right after Ocosingo. It was beng held by teachers protesting against the Educational Reform, and that no one was being allow unless pay a fee.
He said they will ask you at least 200 pesos or more.

crap!

so when Andres and JC were done, I told every one about it and I suggested to have in hand a 50 pesos bill, then another 50 pesos bill available if they wanted more, but not show a 200 bill, since they for sure would keep it all.

With that we got to the line of the road block, it was some 3 miles long, so we skipped the whole stuff and went at the very block point.

as soon as they saw us, they did throw across the road a very long 2x4 full of nails pointing up, and yell at us: stop! stop!
I'm second in the line, and see Efra in front that talks to a woman, looks like she is the one in charge to collect the pass, since she has a notebook and a pen... then I see Efra hand her money and go thru.

Then is my turn and same yelling: stop! stop! (like if I were in a sudden attempt to full throtle the KLR and take off over the de freaking nails...)

She started to explain me a bunch of me bla bla bla
I did not let her finished and asked with anger voice:

How much?

Ten pesos

..another akward silence (from me)

I sliped the 20 pesos bill in my tank bag, took of my glove and diged for a 10 pesos coin.

Got the her, and she wrote it down on the notebook... and gave me a cheerfull:

go ahead!

that pissed me off more that the drunked guys before.

Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 10:46 AM
Old 01-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

OK, just got even with the work load and now able to continue and finish this RR.

After the tires repair in Ocosingo, we headed towards Palenque.

This road is just Wonderful, so twisty, full of vegetation, mountains, rivers, you name it.

But....

But, some place about the middle point between Ocosingo and Palenque, JC was hit by a taxi driver when we were crossing one of the many little villages along the road.

I was driving #1, JC was #2, Andres #3 and Efra #4. We were separated each other by some 300 ft or so, but we could not see each other full time due to the so many twists, so I got to this village and see the cab entering to the main road (our road) without even look at the sides, so I honk to the assh... and he stops and I pass but getting a little bit on the oposite lane....
I keep driving and I dont see JC for some 5 minutes so I stop... next thing a collective transport stops where I am to download passage and the driver tells me that my buddy went down hit by a car.....

WTF???

I turn back as hell... thinking the worst...

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 01-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

I rode back as hell, thinking that the ride was over, that my buddy was down, and afraid of the worst sh..t.
I was doing high speed on the twists without thinkin on my own safety, just thinking on JC... oh sht.. when after some minutes I see a bike coming and I see is JC!!
Damn..! WTF? he is OK.!!?. we stop and I ask him what happened? he says he's OK, and I think the bus driver was wrong and was another some biker.. but immediately I see JC jacket and bike all beat up, his jacket torn and full of mud, the bike damaged on the right pannier and the signal lights twisted/broken and some other stuff broken... what happened JC?

he finally is able to talk and tells me that he got hit by a taxi driver, that he saw me when I just barely avoid the crash myself, and that after I passed, he flashes the lights and honked him, since the bastard did not care to look again for traffic and continued entering to the road...

then the driver saw him and stoped again to allow JC to pass, but at the very last second, the guy hesitated and let the car to go a little bit forward just when JC was maneuvering to avoid him, then with that little moving forward he did hit JC right pannier, and sent him on a discontrolled move, send him out over his bike... the bike did a 360 degree twist, JC flying over the road some 20 meters in front of the bike, and the bike dragging behind him..

he describes being draging himself on the pavement looking at the bike going after him.. and finally ending on the shoulder/ditch and the bike stoping right in behind him.. as he sees the taxi leaving the scene..

then he said he immediataly stood up and started to pick up the bike and the thrown stuff on the road when Andres and Efrain got there.. then he yells at them:

get that motherf..kr. red cab that hit me!

Andres and Efra turn back in a chase for the taxi driver...

Then JC regains his thougts, and evaluates himself for injuries, feeling that he's OK, turn the bike on again and starts riding behind Andres and Efra to get the driver at large...

it happens that in his dispair he took the oposit way, towards where I was..

So when I met him he was very confused asking me for the other two riders... (at this point I still did not know what have happend) So I tell him, I have not see them, they are behind me and you, what you mean?

then he realizes he rode in the oposite way and tells me the story. So we rode back to find Andres and Efrain and find out what was going on with their chase on the taxi...

Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 06:25 PM