User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Too Fast! TOO FAST! TOOO FAAAST!

New blog post. My wife's first ride in the twisties!

http://www.spiritstrike.com/blog/201...st-tooo-faaast
Old 11-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 329
You're in my neighborhood. Good RR and better pics than mine

276 has tried to kill me several times so I tend to stay off it.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Hi kaosbandit,
Good rr, reminded me of a trip with the misses years ago..
. We lived at the time in the middle of England, my folks were in Somerset, on the south coast.. One Sunday I thought it would be fun to visit, so I suggested that kes and I ride... I had a gsxr750j and she had a honda vfr400r.
We had done a few local rides, and all went well, so she agreed...and off we went.. Within half an hour it rained so hard we were both swimming in our underwear, so by the time we got to my folks, she was pretty pissed....
Stripped of and dried everything out, had lunch and chilled, and then time to go..
Again it all started well.....so 50 miles in I said we should get gas before going to much further....kes agreed and so we filled up, next thing I know she's sitting on the kerb, tears in her eyes... What's up I ask , a little disconcerted, 'I'm done' is the reply......
Not quite sure how to answer that, we're sill an hour and a half from home....
'Can I do anything' I ask..... Silence......... Then a couple of expletives later she's up and running for the bike.....Helmet on, and we're hitting the highway...
So needless to say, when we get home I'm in trouble and were never doing that again..... Sad really, I had a really good ride.... Now she only goes pillion..
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
You're in my neighborhood. Good RR and better pics than mine

276 has tried to kill me several times so I tend to stay off it.
Thanks for checking it out! I agree that 276 is a sketchy road. There are treacherous potholes right in the best lines and lately the bicyclists have been a nuisance up that road. Nothing is worse than coming around a corner to find an SUV in your lane because they are trying to pass a guy on a bike.

We should go ride sometime. I also have a KLR so I can do some dual sport rides too.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Import, thanks for the story. Wish it had turned out better for you. I am hoping to avoid that, I guess time will tell.

My worst ride in the rain was on this years Mancation with some buddies. We had a couple of guys with us that were fairly new. We knew we were going to cut it close to miss the rain, but if we kept pace with what we are sued to we could pull it off.

Well, the new guys weren't able to keep that pace safely so we ran long and ended up in the cold rain in the dark in the mountains.....and THEN we hit gravel on street bikes!

I wrote it up on my blog. It was a 3 day trip but day 2 is the one I am talking about.

http://www.spiritstrike.com/blog/2013/5/14/mancation
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Aah5
russ

Oddometer: 57
My wife has her own bike, Honda GB400, loves riding it but it is a bit limited for longer rides so we bought a Triumph Sprint GT for 2 up trips and touring. First ride on the new bike we went for a run through our local hills around 60 klms of twistys, when we reached the coffee shop at hallway point, She says " That's the fastest I've ever gone up that road", to which I reply, "That's the slowest I've ever come up there".
Aah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aah5 View Post
My wife has her own bike, Honda GB400, loves riding it but it is a bit limited for longer rides so we bought a Triumph Sprint GT for 2 up trips and touring. First ride on the new bike we went for a run through our local hills around 60 klms of twistys, when we reached the coffee shop at hallway point, She says " That's the fastest I've ever gone up that road", to which I reply, "That's the slowest I've ever come up there".

I kind of felt the same way :) Luckily, I had a buddy to back me up. To agree that I was actually slowed down. Its interesting what we get used to.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosbandit View Post
Thanks for checking it out! I agree that 276 is a sketchy road. There are treacherous potholes right in the best lines and lately the bicyclists have been a nuisance up that road. Nothing is worse than coming around a corner to find an SUV in your lane because they are trying to pass a guy on a bike.

We should go ride sometime. I also have a KLR so I can do some dual sport rides too.
Ditto on the potholes and I hate wobbly bicyclists in my apexes.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
New blog post. My wife's first ride in the twisties!

http://www.spiritstrike.com/blog/201...st-tooo-faaast
Great read, thanks for posting.

I took my wife for her first solo ride in the twisties back in may. She did great until about half way up to the Caesars Head overlook on 276, then she lowsided in a hard left hander... To say that it was really horrible is a true understatement. She was wearing all of her gear with the exception of jeans instead of riding pants. (They were out off her size when I went to buy her some.. I still feal bad for not getting them sooner.) Despite wearing riding boots she managed to break her left ankle. She's doing a lot betting now.

Her GS500 made out ok, just cosmetic damage to the fairings, so I stripped them. Having a hell of a time selling that thing on Craigslist if you know anyone looking for a $1000 bike..lol
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
Great read, thanks for posting.

I took my wife for her first solo ride in the twisties back in may. She did great until about half way up to the Caesars Head overlook on 276, then she lowsided in a hard left hander... To say that it was really horrible is a true understatement. She was wearing all of her gear with the exception of jeans instead of riding pants. (They were out off her size when I went to buy her some.. I still feal bad for not getting them sooner.) Despite wearing riding boots she managed to break her left ankle. She's doing a lot betting now.

Her GS500 made out ok, just cosmetic damage to the fairings, so I stripped them. Having a hell of a time selling that thing on Craigslist if you know anyone looking for a $1000 bike..lol
Dang! Sorry to hear about your wife's lowside. Glad she made it out OK though.

I may know a guy who would be interested in your GS500. Do you have pics or a link to the CL ad?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Dang! Sorry to hear about your wife's lowside. Glad she made it out OK though.

I may know a guy who would be interested in your GS500. Do you have pics or a link to the CL ad?
Thanks.

Sure, here you go.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcy/4236814679.html
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
ZFenderguy
quarter liter beater

Oddometer: 36
Sucks to hear about her lowsiding for sure. Worst story I have is the ONE time I tried to get a little extra sporty on a section of twisty road with my wife on the back. She let me know she didn't appreciate it by punching me in the ribs a few times until I stopped so she could let me know she was scared. A helmet communicator would have been a better way to go, but she had no problem getting my attention pretty fast . Perhaps a little pregame huddle would have been a good idea as well, because I think part of her issue was she had no idea we were going to be on that gnarly of a road.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,131
I guess that I am pretty lucky in that my pillion Wife has a very limited "depth perception" sense.

It keeps me out of trouble A LOT....

She has no earthly idea how fast we are truly going.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFenderguy View Post
Sucks to hear about her lowsiding for sure. Worst story I have is the ONE time I tried to get a little extra sporty on a section of twisty road with my wife on the back. She let me know she didn't appreciate it by punching me in the ribs a few times until I stopped so she could let me know she was scared. A helmet communicator would have been a better way to go, but she had no problem getting my attention pretty fast . Perhaps a little pregame huddle would have been a good idea as well, because I think part of her issue was she had no idea we were going to be on that gnarly of a road.
I know that feeling. The problem for me before communicators is I never knew what she wanted. I joke with my wife that we have a car that can be driven from any seat. I think she feels out of control when she isn't the one operating the vehicle. Most of the time it isn't too bad, but every now and then I have to offer to let her drive. :)
Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #15
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
I passed the link on to him.