ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
gregkzoo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
reservations needed for Big Sur in mid May?

We are headed to the coast from Colorado, for nine days in mid May, traveling from Monterey to San Diego. We plan on camping as much as possible. Do we need reservations for May? I usually don't make reservations too anywhere on motorcycle trips like this, I usually just wing it when it comes to camping, but it seems like whole campgrounds are booked way in advance. Is May that busy?
gregkzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Coastal campgrounds are indeed busy in May, particularly on Friday and Saturday. Some in Big Sur are first come first served (Kirk Creek, I believe is one) but there are some alternatives. Head inland from Kirk Creek and you can do dispersed camping in the National Forest. There are a few private campgrounds that may be able to squeeze you in.

Crazy, huh

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Coastal campgrounds are indeed busy in May, particularly on Friday and Saturday. Some in Big Sur are first come first served (Kirk Creek, I believe is one) but there are some alternatives. Head inland from Kirk Creek and you can do dispersed camping in the National Forest. There are a few private campgrounds that may be able to squeeze you in.

Crazy, huh
Kirk creek takes some res, but also has FCFS. Also Lime Kiln.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
If the camp grounds are full, they save some tent sites for bicylists, just find them and offer to pay the bikers camp fee of $5 and camp with them
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
gregkzoo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I guess im just gonna have to make reservations then. Any recommendations for LA>San Diego?
gregkzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkzoo View Post
I guess im just gonna have to make reservations then. Any recommendations for LA>San Diego?
Welcome to more craziness.

Reservamerica.com handles the state park reservations. Rules are:

-must be made at least 2 days in advance
-no more than 7 months in advance
-all sites for the 7th month away go on sale the 1st of the month.e.g., any site in May 2014 will go on sale November 1, 2013.

Without looking I can (almost ;) guarantee any beach state campground has no weekend availability in May 2014 at this point... There may be an odd Friday or a Saturday here or there.

People use major strategy to get these sites booked, and 8 am on the first of the month is system overload for the website and phone reservation system. I've pretty much given up trying to camp in the beach parks during the summer--it takes a major piece of luck to land a site, and a serious commitment of time to get through the reservation system.

If you're flexible to stay during the week and don't need more than one day at time in a campground you may be able to land the spots you need. And May is before the major crush of school's-out reservations during the week.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,800
These are the two most sought after spots:

http://www.seemonterey.com/blog/post...ghing-It/1643/

Treebones Resort is probably the strangest. Read about it here:

http://niceartlife.com/sleeping-in-a-spirits-nest/

It is a good idea to have reservations if you want to camp along Big Sur. There are less crowded places among the redwoods above Santa Cruz, or in the Las Padres National Forest, but the coast popular (for good reason).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
LA-SD Cardiff state beach
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
LA-SD Cardiff state beach
I'm guessing you mean San Elijo SB? Probably THE most crowded campground in San Diego County...I have a long love/hate relationship with that campground. Used to live about a mile away from it. When I can get a spot on the ocean side life is GOOD but it's almost easier to win the lottery than get one of those spots in the summer.

So. Carlsbad SB is a little less crowded, and San Onofre SB is even less crowded--for a reason. You're camping on a strip of asphalt a 1/4 mile from the ocean on a bluff with almost no access to the water. But it can be a port in the storm...

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 09:05 AM Reason: love and hate
Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
DeerCreek
n00b

Oddometer: 4
If your heading down PCH there is Scyamore Cyn. and Leo Carillo SB Just outside LA. These are two great spots also just north of there a park called Mc Grath, if it's open, they have lots of room and usualy accomidate riders.
DeerCreek is offline   Reply With Quote