User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Dark OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Had to plug a tire today

I’m not anal about much, one of the things I am anal about is air pressure in my tires.
Moto, car, trailer, whatever….if it is between me or a loved one & the pavement I’m anal.
So on a pre ride tire pressure check I noticed I was down about 10 PSI.

WTF?

I take a look & sure enough foreign object.

So, open the tool kit get the plug repair tools & material & go to work

Out with the foreign object, in this case a 1.5 “ screw

Clean the hole

Insert plug

Trim plug

Done - 15 minutes including picture taking time

So, how long can these 880’s last with a plug?
I figure I got 6-8K of tread left on them.
Can I ride em out of tread with a plug in them?
I don’t ride that hard & rarely see triple digit speed.
Mostly highway speeds of 70-80. Occasional gravel.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
I've heard some people say "don't worry 'bout it, it'll do fine with the plug."

I've heard other people say "the tire is a no go now, must replace. Very dangerous."

Me, I'm more towards the former. If I thought I had 6-8K miles left on the tire, I would likely trim the plug on the inside of the tire and put a patch over it on the inside. OTOH if I thought I had 1Kmi left I would simply take the attitude "don't worry 'bout it, it'll do fine with the plug." In fact, this is what I've done on both cars and motos.

But that's just me....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
G-Force Junkie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Thats a lot of miles to run on a plug. I would at least have a shop pull the tire and install an umbrella plug/patch and remount the tire. Shouldnt be more than $50 if you bring the wheel in off the bike.
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Shouldnt be more than $50 if you bring the wheel in off the bike.
You won't find a regular bike shop that will do that in the US.

Ride it, watch it, check the pressure a lot. The worst that should happen is ya get a slow leak. I ran mine a few thousand miles before I replaced my tire.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
You won't find a regular bike shop that will do that in the US.
really? do it all the time up here... worked in a tyre shop as a student. we did patches all the time. just had one done on my jetta a couple months ago when i picked up a nail. $30 cdn including taking the wheel off my car.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
really? do it all the time up here... worked in a tyre shop as a student. we did patches all the time. just had one done on my jetta a couple months ago when i picked up a nail. $30 cdn including taking the wheel off my car.
You can get a car tire patched at any tire place or most gas stations. You will be hard pressed to find a bike shop that will patch a motorcycle tire in the states. A small independent shop may do it.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
gfspencer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
I had a screw in an almost new (less than 500 miles) tire. I took it to four motorcycle shops in the area. No shop would touch it. Maybe the just wanted to sell a new tire.
gfspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:12 AM   #8
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
...Ride it, watch it, check the pressure a lot. The worst that should happen is ya get a slow leak....
Quote:
...I had a plugged hole once that would start leaking again after several hundred miles....
This is why if I thought I had more than a month's worth of miles left on the tire, I'm happy simply putting a flat patch over the trimmed plug on the inside. Very easy to do (don't even need to completely remove the tire) and patches are available anywhere.

Funny, but even the way message boards have a way of "amplifying" improbable events, I never hear of any tires that are simply plugged suddenly losing air or other "catastrophic" failure on any boards I've been on.

Hard for me to understand the paranoia about plugs.

SteveAZ screwed with this post 09-03-2005 at 08:27 AM
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:33 AM   #9
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,194
I had a plugged tire on my pickup explode. Probably because of loss of pressure while I was driving. It happened about 20 miles after I left the shop. For autos; no good tire shop will plug a tire. Automobile tire manufacturers definitely recommend against it.

After plugging a tire, the GS manual recommends a reduced maximum speed (pretty slow) and tire replacement.

Just remember that all of the control forces are transmitted through the tire/road interface.

I agree that if you are careful, the failure is a low probability event and many people have used plugs successfully. The possibility of tire failure is, however, significantly increased. If I can eliminate a risk for a few hundred bucks, I'll do it.

The difficult part of safety is that you don't get any extra, you just get to keep what you have.
DOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Thats a lot of miles to run on a plug. I would at least have a shop pull the tire and install an umbrella plug/patch and remount the tire. Shouldnt be more than $50 if you bring the wheel in off the bike.
What Rad said.........

You can always have the tire dismounted and patch it from the inside yourself. Done properly, it should last until the tread is gone.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #11
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
Hey, Mike!

You change your own tires, right? Like others have said, take this one off and put an "umbrella" patch on the inside and keep and eye on the pressure. It should be fine for the life of the tire. I ran a rear Tourance for ~7k miles like this with no problems.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote