User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Bar weight myth

My ever since I started lightening my bars by removing the weights I've found the vibrations reduced by a huge amount. Discuss/argue/ignore doesn't matter to me I think it's BS.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
When I installed bark busters on my KLR I left the weights off because I figured there wouldn't be any difference. Made it five miles, said "This sucks," went home and found bolts long enough to put them on.

On that bike it's true, I haven't had them on any others.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 172
My experience has been that it depends on the frequency of the vibe and the type of bar. The bar end weights help a lot with high frequency buzz, but often to little for low frequency rocking couple.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
FrogAndTrumpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I recently fitted (OK, for "fitted" read "bodged" ) some KTM handguards on my SpeedTona, which entailed junking the bar weights. So far, I haven't noticed any uncomfortable vibes and buzzes in the 'bars - which is just as well because my bodge job means that I won't be able to remove the guards and refit bar weights very easily...
Old 01-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
This was on an I-4. A single or twin, I've yet to try it on, but the XR650L I had with just a bar, no weights didn't give me near the problems it should have considering how much is vibrated on the highway.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
on my DR650, the stock bars without weights were so bad that I didnt even make it 5 miles before going back home.

My handguards now do the job of weights to keep the vibrations from turning my hands into leaden nubs at the ends of my arms.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogAndTrumpet View Post
I recently fitted (OK, for "fitted" read "bodged" ) some KTM handguards on my SpeedTona, which entailed junking the bar weights. So far, I haven't noticed any uncomfortable vibes and buzzes in the 'bars - which is just as well because my bodge job means that I won't be able to remove the guards and refit bar weights very easily...
What the hell is a SpeedTuna?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
FrogAndTrumpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
A SpeedTona (with an "o" ) is a Triumph Daytona that's been turned into a Speed Triple (usually as a result of a SMIDSY moment).
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
What the hell is a SpeedTuna?
He also has problems with the engine running rough, as Joe Walsh put it, "You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish."

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
My ever since I started lightening my bars by removing the weights I've found the vibrations reduced by a huge amount. Discuss/argue/ignore doesn't matter to me I think it's BS.
Yeah cause manufacturers were just looking for places to add additional weight...
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
Yeah cause manufacturers were just looking for places to add additional weight...

Nah, they got a good buy on them and had to do something. Or maybe it was part of the "bold new graphics" the second year.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Bar end weights and anti vibe inserts made a huge difference on my KTM 640 Adv.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #13
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Bar end weights and anti vibe inserts made a huge difference on my KTM 640 Adv.
I've got a pound of lead on each end of my 640's bars. It makes the vibes a bit worse at idle but they vanish above 3k.

So to answer the OP, whether you want more or less weight is going to depend on the bike and probably a bunch of other things like the kind of bars, bar mounts, etc.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 593
Bar weights cannot eliminate handlebar vibrations, they merely serve to shift the resonance point of the bars to some other point in the operating range. The 'vibrations' people notice are a resonance mode in the bars. You can shift where this resonance point is by either altering the mass or stiffness of the bars. Increasing the mass and decreasing the stiffness shifts the resonance point lower in the revs, and doing the opposite shifts it farther north.

You by lightening your bars are shifting the point farther north in the revs. I imagine if you ride a little faster, you'll again find the point where the bars do vibrate, just not where you ride most of the time.

It's Vibes...nothing more, nothing less.

-M
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
Exactly how does one "shift the resonance point of the bars to some other point of the operating range"?

The guy asked a question and you invent some sort of scientific response for personal effect, yet useless to your audience.

Too many people like you on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Bar weights cannot eliminate handlebar vibrations, they merely serve to shift the resonance point of the bars to some other point in the operating range. The 'vibrations' people notice are a resonance mode in the bars. You can shift where this resonance point is by either altering the mass or stiffness of the bars. Increasing the mass and decreasing the stiffness shifts the resonance point lower in the revs, and doing the opposite shifts it farther north.

You by lightening your bars are shifting the point farther north in the revs. I imagine if you ride a little faster, you'll again find the point where the bars do vibrate, just not where you ride most of the time.

It's Vibes...nothing more, nothing less.

-M
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote