User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
hippiebrian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Bike magazine in the U.S.

Bike is one of my favorite motorcycle magazines (second to Road Runner but far ahead of any other American magazine available.

Does anyone here in the States have a subscription or know how I could get one? Getting them new at the book store is a bit expensive (yes, I'm whining about 10 bucks) and I'd really like to just get them at home.

Thanks in advance.

Mods, I didn't quite know where to put this post. If it belongs somewhere else, please move it there. Thanks.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Bike is the only magazine I consistently buy every month. Look in the current issue as most issues have a subscription page. In the US I think I recall it's about $142 a year with postage for a hard copy.

It's not the same but close enough....I get Bike on my iPad now. It's $5.99 an issue. This is the third month for me. Today I got the March issue.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
It's $64 a year shipped in the US through these folks:

http://classicbikebooks.com/catalog/...1353ugubi5bpg6

I've been getting it from them for years and they are good people.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
RunLongVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Yup - I second that. Best mag out there, and I have subscribed for several years. Renewed my subscription a few weeks late last week and got an email that they were sending me the issue I missed anyway. Great folks!
RunLongVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
hippiebrian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Thanks all. Got my subscription in!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
Bike is one of my favorite motorcycle magazines (second to Road Runner but far ahead of any other American magazine available.

Does anyone here in the States have a subscription or know how I could get one? Getting them new at the book store is a bit expensive (yes, I'm whining about 10 bucks) and I'd really like to just get them at home.

Thanks in advance.

Mods, I didn't quite know where to put this post. If it belongs somewhere else, please move it there. Thanks.

Most bike magazines in the U.S. suck. It's all about the latest and greatest with no actual tech stuff. Every mod article is who they took the bike to and what they had bolted on. I still subscribe to Cycle World and Motorcyclists mostly due to low price but for some of the columns and occasional interesting article. They're almost "once and done" when it comes to going through them and reading them. The hot rod/truck stuff has me going back to look at what they did - even though I will never likely do anything like it. I just find it interesting.

I started reading Hot Rod again along with Popular Hot Rodding, Streetrod and Classic Truck to get my gear head fix. I can't afford that stuff.

I wish there was someone (if only I could win a lottery) who would put out a tech magazine that actually showed some real mods. Back in the 80s DirtBike! and others actually told you how to do things. Like utting up the frame to forward mount the upper shock mount as well as how to set up forward mounts on the swingarm. The litigious nature of the U.S. kind of cut that stuff out along with bikes that are already done to the nines.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I read that "adventure rider?" magazine some. it is the one with the gritty feeling cover. Not a lot of content but at least it is about ADV riding. Also road runner.

No truly great mags out there.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
Toolpen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Most bike magazines in the U.S. suck. It's all about the latest and greatest with no actual tech stuff. Every mod article is who they took the bike to and what they had bolted on.

I wish there was someone (if only I could win a lottery) who would put out a tech magazine that actually showed some real mods. Back in the 80s DirtBike! and others actually told you how to do things. Like utting up the frame to forward mount the upper shock mount as well as how to set up forward mounts on the swingarm. The litigious nature of the U.S. kind of cut that stuff out along with bikes that are already done to the nines.
Totally agree. Back in the 70s Bob Braverman published "Cycle Mechanics" and "Bike Mechanics" magazines and they were full of mods and other tech info. And include these with all of his other work published in Cycle Guide and other magazines. I still have copies and refer to them quite often when working on older models. And what made the magazines unique was that the author of the article, for the most part anyway, did the work. It was an interesting and fun time.
Toolpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolpen View Post
Totally agree. Back in the 70s Bob Braverman published "Cycle Mechanics" and "Bike Mechanics" magazines and they were full of mods and other tech info. And include these with all of his other work published in Cycle Guide and other magazines. I still have copies and refer to them quite often when working on older models. And what made the magazines unique was that the author of the article, for the most part anyway, did the work. It was an interesting and fun time.
No personal experience, so I can't vouch for it, but it sounds a lot like this, also available from the above source:

Maybe worth checking out.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Toolpen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
No personal experience, so I can't vouch for it, but it sounds a lot like this, also available from the above source:

Maybe worth checking out.
I'm familiar with Classic Motorcycle Mechanics magazine and it's a good resource for working on vintage Japanese motorcycles. Thanks for the link as I should subscribe to it.
Toolpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,757
Great magazine - a little expensive but worth it.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
I'm familiar with Classic Motorcycle Mechanics magazine and it's a good resource for working on vintage Japanese motorcycles. Thanks for the link as I should subscribe to it.
I can't tell if that is the same as Classic Bike Mechaniker in Germany, which is awesome and I hope toe find a subscription to.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,702
Quote:

I still have the issue where Gordon Jennings did the SR500 hop up. I'm into the SRs so it was worth it. When I wanted to make a pipe out came the article and there it was 33" long 1-5/8 diameter. Carb - 38 is overkill because the head won't flow that well.

You couldn't find tips or articles like that in a magazine now if your life depended on it. The car/truck magazines are showing metal forming, welding, and testing tools along with decent features on vehicles that are not new, but built. What a shame the riders of this country can't support something like that. Mitch Boehm was close with Moto Retro, but didn't have any "how to". It appears his mag bit it too. What a shame, they were phenomenal.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
You are right Zeid. Sitting here looking at it, it is indeed ADVMoto. I do like it, just wish it had a few more pages. Then again if it was longer I would still want more.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 703
I get both BIKE and MSL thru the mid-western distributor. Far and away better than any US mag except MCN.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote