Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Wicked An old Yank wants to visit western OZ on the cheap

G/Day Mates and Howdy to Y'all,

I had so darn much FUN when I rode in Oz in July of 2012 with Jock and met many of his mates that I want to again go down under. Jock guided me through pretty much the eastern third of your country but I have not yet been to the western part of Australia.

As we Yanks say I am not going to beat around the bush, if I should come to Oz again I need to do so as cheaply as possible, I was fortunate last time when Jon the man who imports Ural's to Australia provided me with a machine to ride and Jock in his extreme generosity provided me with air line tickets.

So I am looking for suggestions on the cheapest way to get something to ride whilst down under, don't really care what it is, I am not much of a sand rider and when on the deep sand covered roads I traveled the last time was very thankful I was on three wheels rather then two, however a two wheeled machine would be MUCH cheaper to fuel.

When folks fly to OZ from the US and want to go the western side of your country do they fly to the east coast and then to the west coast or just fly to the west coast to begin with. The last time I was in Oz it was during your winter and I had a hard time packing enough gear and not incur over weight charges on the plane. Would it be better to travel the western part of your country in your summer, that would get me out of my country during our winter and that would be nice?

Is there anyone on the western side of Oz that would be interested in doing a rideabout with an old Yank in tow, I rekon I could afford about a month of wondering if I can stay out of the cities, hotels, and pubs, I sure do miss those little meat pies so I better stay away from the bakery's too.

So if anyone is interested in being a part of this, please let me know, if you have suggestions on what to see, what to ride, gear to bring, please post to this thread. In the mean time I am going to start saving some money for air fare and see if I can't make this happen sometime in your summer of 2015 that would be my winter. IF traveling the western part of Oz in your summer is daft, then tell me so and maybe I can work out something different. When is the next "Off Center Rally" and what part of the country will it be held in, that would be a great event to attend I sure enjoyed the last one.

Dave

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,283
Hi Cob. The next of center is in the Kimberely region of NW western Australia at Drysdale River Station. The date is always the 2nd weekend in August. ( you should be able to google it) WA in summer can be extremely hot i.e.45C+ for days at a time & the distances between "civilisation" will make the run up the Cape look like a suburban street. Make sure you check the scale on any map when planning! Add to the mix West Australians live there ( not many though, they're mainly Kiwi's & South africians, and Bully of course) and you will see why its called the wild west The OCR's are held in our "winter" for a reason, so all us that live in the SE corner can escape the cold here!!

Good Luck with it, if you contact Zac say hi

DD

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
.............. Add to the mix West Australians live there ( not many though, they're mainly Kiwi's & South africians, and Bully of course) and you will see why its called the wild west .........
Yep, that sums it up!

Anyway, if your in Yass I thought the "wild west" starts on that shite road from your place out to Cowra..........
Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
Yep, that sums it up!

Anyway, if your in Yass I thought the "wild west" starts on that shite road from your place out to Cowra..........
Ahh, so your familiar with the engineering prowess of Yass Valley council. I'm actually about 30 km from Yass on Canberra side. You should see the shit job they did of "grading" our access road . 2 weeks & its got more corrugations than the Cape road.

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
sidecarcrazy
grandad in gladstone

Oddometer: 176
Aussie land

The Off centre Runs are in 2014 & 2016
2014 upper north WA 2016 jet to be decided, probably more to the centre to east to south of the island.
You would be best (in my opinion) to start in Adelaide SA & travel west to WA, the Nullarbor is worth the ride, start in late July & take in the infamous Border Run (first Saturday in August each year)
Look me up when/if you are here, I am 20 klm north of Adelaide & If I find the money I will show you around

grandad

look at my blog
pjingladstonesa.blogspot.com
sidecarcrazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Mr. Cob OP

G/Day Mates,

Thanks for the information so far, I knew it would be HOT during your summer just trying to cut down on the amount of gear that needs to be flown-packed. I got a bit further south then Canbeera, on my first visit to OZ, bloody COLD at night in late July-early August, darn near froze me arse off. I'll do a bit of research on places to go-things to see, please submit suggestions on places to go and times to be there as I know next to nothing about your fair country other then I want to go there again.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
Hi Cob. The next of center is in the Kimberely region of NW western Australia at Drysdale River Station. The date is always the 2nd weekend in August. ( you should be able to google it) WA in summer can be extremely hot i.e.45C+ for days at a time & the distances between "civilisation" will make the run up the Cape look like a suburban street. Make sure you check the scale on any map when planning! Add to the mix West Australians live there ( not many though, they're mainly Kiwi's & South africians, and Bully of course) and you will see why its called the wild west The OCR's are held in our "winter" for a reason, so all us that live in the SE corner can escape the cold here!!

Good Luck with it, if you contact Zac say hi

DD
Howdy DD,

Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed your post at first reading. I have been doing some more reading and am rethinking my travel plans as to the time of year that I should visit, your spring or fall and if ones goes north winter seems to be the best of times.

I do hope you have fully recovered from your getoff, last I heard you were still limping about a bit. Sure enjoyed staying at your home whilst in Jock's care and hope to see you again someday.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,037
Gday.
If you travel more than 1 hour east of Perth, more than 1/2hr north of Perth, or more than 1 hour inland from damn near anywhere in our fair brown land of Westoz, summer temps will mainly hover over 40*C.
Think New Mexico or AZ desert stuff.
Avoid December to March, or stay near the southwest coasts and forests.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #9
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer: 488
Hi there Mr Cob .. Just sent Pm .. If you down my way in Wa you have a bike to ride .. Some great beaches and the whitest sands in Oz .. Plenty to see within 1,000 km form here , Kalgroolie , Isrealite telegraph station ruins , Albany , Denmark , Hyden (wave rock) , Norseman , the nullabour (very bloody long road ) from east to west , balladonia track (near me ) Gibson soak pub (great meals and 25 km from Esperance) there's more with some great track riding and such .... Talk soon ....

Sent to where ever I like .. Lol ....
Mostly on IPad with tap talk ....
Old 04-19-2014, 02:57 AM   #10
KLR 650 guy
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer: 488
This is a bit of what you goin to start seein up into the red centre ..Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397897821.398075.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  153.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR 650 guy View Post
This is a bit of what you goin to start seein up into the red centre ..Attachment 316830

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G/day Mate,

That looks interesting, HOT and very dusty, I am not much of a two wheeled sand rider and MUCH prefer three wheels in such circumstances. Its really a shame you folks can't get the two wheel drive Ural's in Oz.

I like your dog, he looks right at home in the hack.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Diggar
Follow your heart

Oddometer: 112
Mr Cobb

I am heading north around July 1 2014 to the Pilbara for 3 weeks making as far as Marble Bar and will be exploring most of the little places that have been bypast on other journeys such as stations like White Wells ,Lake Moore and the ride from Marble Bar to Hillside station on the little Dakar.Worked in Meekatharra for 3 1/2 years and never had much time to look around as much as I should have.If that fits in with your plans in the future.Not enough time to make to the OCR, but it could be done if you continued on.
Diggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggar View Post
I am heading north around July 1 2014 to the Pilbara for 3 weeks making as far as Marble Bar and will be exploring most of the little places that have been bypast on other journeys such as stations like White Wells ,Lake Moore and the ride from Marble Bar to Hillside station on the little Dakar.Worked in Meekatharra for 3 1/2 years and never had much time to look around as much as I should have.If that fits in with your plans in the future.Not enough time to make to the OCR, but it could be done if you continued on.
Howdy Diggar,

This coming summer is totally booked, lots of rallies to attend. If i make it to Oz again it will be next year at the earliest, I would like to make the OCR, I think this is held every two years so the next one after this years will be in 2016, is that correct?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Diggar,

This coming summer is totally booked, lots of rallies to attend. If i make it to Oz again it will be next year at the earliest, I would like to make the OCR, I think this is held every two years so the next one after this years will be in 2016, is that correct?
Yep , Early August every second ( even numbered ) year .

WE will know the location and exact date immediately after the currently scheduled OCR has taken place , as the meeting and voting on the next location happens at that event . Just then need to wait for someone who is / was there to post up the news .
Old 04-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #15
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
This coming summer is totally booked, lots of rallies to attend.
Many people have the same problem. I've had 'discussions' with my bosses bosses boss to get to a few OCRs.. You plan things out many months out and some b$%@#%$Z# tries to scew it 2 weeks before you leave. The OCR rules are - keep even year August free of any commitments .. even September is pushing it.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote