User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,325
Blue Starling - found in shed.

This is sad - a 1974 Moto Guzzi Stornello 160 found neglected in the back of a shed under an old sheet. It hasn't run for 10 years, and last registerd in 1988, so hasn't been used on the road for 26 years. 13,000 original km.

But that's not the sad part - the sad part is that the shed is mine, and I'm the crusty old fart that refuses to sell. I bought it brand new in 1978.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
You're not making any friends here you realise
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 802
Aaaaaaghhh, same tacho as the unobtainable one that I need for my Benelli.

Five bucks and a bag of chips ?????
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

After all these years, I've finally found out how the Stornello came to be in NZ. UNNA, who is a member of our Blast From The Past forum on Kiwibiker was the importer, and some Gnat dealer in Frankton got 8 of them, by '78 he had sold 2, and used one for parts. An Aussie friend of the time ,who has this Enfield website http://www.re-indian.com/enfield/index.html was into Italian bikes at the time, and was touring the country on his Falcone, the last of them, red frame, white tank...'73 I guess. We used to ride around Auckland together, him on the Falcone, me on the M20 - well matched bikes. Any way, he found these Stornello's, and hatched a plot to get them. We extracted money from friends - to buy a bike, and went down with $3000 in $20 notes. We had a ute and borrowed Scope Motorcycles trailer...who remembers Scope ? The dealer was reluctant to sell the 5 remaining bikes for our price, so we started to walk out, and then he changed his mind. So my Stornello cost me $650. Two red ones, 2 green ones, and a single blue one. Actually I picked the green bike as the best condition, and swapped over the blue tank and side panels. We sold one to Aussie, as they didn't have the Stornello over there.

I used it as my commuter and around town bike....but in 1981 it broke a crank. Outside the Albion I think, and my girl and I coasted down the hill and left it at the Central Cop Shop overnight. Now this was a problem...and that's why one bike had been used as a parts bike, one of the sold bikes broke a crank too. Pulled the side cover off and the flywheel fell out, the tapered bit had broken off. No one wanted to know about repairing it, but finally Siddall and Robinson said they could, sight unseen. They split the crank, made a new left mainshaft, bored out the old one and pressed in the new, located with a key. I checked it with a degree wheel on reassembly - perfect. That cost me $150.

I did take it out on Puke for a race meeting we organised - back before track days were invented you could hire the track for $300...30 riders, 10 bucks each. As part of the organising team I paid $5. I was going to take my Rickman, but after fitting an Avon GP and a 21 rib tyre the night before it got a high speed wobble from it's buckled front rim...so took my girls Harley instead. I was an SX Sprint 350, the Aeramachi thing. I had both the speedo and tacho bouncing on their stops, that's impossible, but I'd say it was doing it's top speed of 80mph.

It originally had a 2.50 front and 3.00 rear tyres, but they were bloody lethal, so I put on the 3.25 K70's front and rear. You can see I didn't come to fit 4.00 K70's front and rear on the R65 without some experimentation in the past. The speedo and tacho aren't attached? Ah, the instrument panel smashed when I rolled the bike. I had a rear wheel lock up on a panic stop, and it stepped out big time....letting go the brake would be a certain highside, so I just rode it out in a big full lock slide, that's a happy place for me. but just before I stopped, it did pitch into a highside...and I stayed on the bike. So the bike didn't touch the ground, it went over the top of me....but the headlamp and instruments hit the deck. Dent in the rim and a broken instrument panel. I gave it to someone to weld up, but that was sooo long ago. I have some stainless and will make a new one.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:48 AM   #6
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

I put a tank liner in, stripped and cleaned the carb, put in a new plug, gave it a few boots and it gave it's savage little kickback...then fired right up. It's been stored with synthetic oil, Aegis Golden Syrup, so is probably a real synthetic, not a Group III with some POA like they call synthetic these days. I might change it - I found the manual and it says 20-30, so a 10-30 should do the trick.

I need to find an airfilter, this is a replacement I found back then. And the battery.

You couldn't get the big old rubber battery back then, so this is what I did.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
cool story. What's the plan with it?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,893
You should get this to go with it:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-712212728.htm

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Yeah, it's a bit like a Triumph owner having a Tiger cub.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #10
Babysteps
102° Rx = + /_\

Oddometer: 535
Please please please restore this! Or give it to me so I can!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:49 AM   #11
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
That is a cool bike :-)
young1 is online now   Reply With Quote