User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
96R1100GS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Dealing with deer

I livein rural Virginia and have just gotten back into motorcycling. I have hit two deer with my car and am worried about hitting one on the bike. The only solution I can come up with is to slow WAY down when on a back road where deer may be lurking. I do kill and eat them too. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
96R1100GS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
packerbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
you need to buy one of these:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701
and two of these:
http://stores.advmonster.com/model-3...ad-spot-light/
Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Ride slower - that's the only thing that's guaranteed to help. Avoid dawn and dusk as well, and ride especially slowly when you're near woods or blind shoulders.

Deer whistles are $6 a pop. When you think about it, if they only have a 1% chance of saving you $600 (and/or a .1% chance of saving you $6,000), they're worth the investment.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
GBAUTO
Bambi Assassin

Oddometer: 52
I don't think that there is any guaranteed way to prevent from smacking 'Bambi' while riding. They are all over the place where I live and I have had an encounter with a kamikaze doe on the SV. It was about 30 minutes after sundown and she bolted directly in front of me in a blind corner.
I don't ride after dark anymore-that's the only way I can increase my odds because I have a better chance of seeing them and making some evasive actions.
Best advice I can give is to kill all of them...with extreme prejudice.
'03 SV1000S
GBAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,432
Lights! Bright lights. It's easy to wire a set of PIAA's and a set of Hella's. I always used to have the Hella's aimed to brighten the shoulders, and the PIAA's to brighten the road. The 1100GS has more than enough alternator power to keep up with the load.

I wired mine on a fused relay directly to the battery, with separate handlebar mounted switches. I used the headlight as my simple On through the relay.

You can make a light bar with a $15 piece of aluminum stock. There are two screws under the headlight assembly on your GS. Perfect for mounting the bar. Just try to keep the lights close enough to the center of the bike so that when you drop the bike, the crash bars protect them.

I had great luck with these lights, until I changed the relay and had them turn Off with the Dim switch.

From now on I'm leaving them On unless I'm in heavy traffic. In heavy traffic I'll turn off the PIAA's.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #6
manic mechanic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I've hit 3 deer with bikes, hopefully no more. All were in daytime. ATGATT helped. but broken bones still can happen. The critters can come out of anywhere besides forests, such as overgrown ditches, farm fence rows, etc. Be aware, not paranoid. Keep scanning using peripheral vision for movement. And remember, if you see one, look for others. Right now is a good time to see deer moving, as they're starting to drop fawns. The worst time is in fall, during the rut and when harvesting is occurring. Best advice is to just keep on the lookout.

And it's not just out in the woods and farms, we have deer strikes here in town. I've had close calls on a 4-lane residential boulevard.
Rounder #6
MOA Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
RA WI Regional Rep, rally camping chair
manic mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Balootraveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Bright lights and ride slower, deer are out anytime day or night just be aware of the ambush spots.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Scan the woods and slow down. That's all you can do, other than bright lights if your stockers are a little weak. I whacked one last summer - I was going slower than normal because it was prime deer time and location, so I bumped it without going down. It only cost me $300 in plastic. Another 10-20mph and to could have been much worse.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by manic mechanic View Post

And it's not just out in the woods and farms, we have deer strikes here in town. I've had close calls on a 4-lane residential boulevard.
Yeah, we have had some deer strikes in town too. Damn things are everywhere!

What I don't understand is why deer hunting is so regulated. It should be open season, year round with no limits. Not looking to make them extinct, just get their #'s down to a maneagable size. There are more around now, than before the first Europeans arrived, many moons ago.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,678
After riding up here and then riding in the midwest I am not used to scanning for them. Almost took one straight one a few years ago, lucky for me he moved at the last second. On the other hand we have moose and I have learned to scan now.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,398
I prefer to blind the bastards.

Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,522
Wheelie over them.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #13
YosemiteCruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 157
Slow down, keep good eye out, try to be ready, that's about it.
YosemiteCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
Oldebonz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thumbs down Deer

Deal with many in SW Ohio,don't breathe a sigh of relief if you miss one….they usually have others following,usually a bigger Buck during mating season chasing several does.Been there done that thank God in a Dodge minivan at 55 mph that nearly totaled it(totaled the buck though!)Had a good friend killed by a deer hit by oncoming car that threw it through his windshield and kicked him in the head while struggling with it.Shit happens,deer are as dangerous as texters and drunks.Be careful out there!
Oldebonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
I've had real close encounters with three deer on two different bikes. One early morning and two well after dark. The early morning one was the closest call as I found deer hair on my saddle bag after I got to my destination. That was close!
The last one jumped out from behind a Cedar tree and stopped right in my path of travel. First time I've ever locked up a front wheel. Luckily when the tire started squealing on the asphalt it scared the deer and it took off. If not I would have nailed it. There was no way to know it was behind the tree until it was in the road.
Airport runway lights wouldn't have helped in that situation...and many other similar situations in Virginia where there is little to no shoulder and the roads are tree lined. Not much you can do except ride a little slower and be ready to get on the brakes.

I've hit three deer with my truck...but it has a big winch bumper on it. Bent the license plate a little... My friends keep saying I aim for them with the truck.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote