ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
2014 1190 Adventure Airbox still leaks

It's official guys, the 2014 model's airbox still lets the dust through. My motor is fuct and I met another guy at ultimate performance who has the same issue with a 2014 bike.

I did ask Richard at Ultimate performance if they would help me to fit the unifilter back in January and he told me that it was not necessary as the 2014 model didn't have the problem.

Will try to fight for a new motor from ultimate performance or at least complete rebuild of the motor.

Not impressed with KTM, Ultimate performance and the way that the mechanic at Ultimate Performance tried to blow it off as a valve clearance issue while talking to someone else.

Let the games begin...

2wdrift screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 02:36 PM
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Barekat
Looking to get dirty

Oddometer: 234
subscribed.
1984 GPz550
1973 CB350
Barekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
chadscamaro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Im worried as well just pulled my airbox to see this. Ordered uni filter kit from dealer couple weeks ago hasnt showed yet.
Attached Images

chadscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadscamaro View Post
Im worried as well just pulled my airbox to see this. Ordered uni filter kit from dealer couple weeks ago hasnt showed yet.
That is ugly!!!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
chadscamaro
Adventurer

I agree, was blown away because I thought they had a better fix for 14's. Im now wondering if any damage was done and what my next move is? I did tell the dealer today about it and they will talk with ktm. Im hoping the uni filter shows up asap. Bike has 1800 miles and prob half are off road but this weekend we did the first major dusty roads so far but it was a dusty 2 day ride. I have not pulled apart air filter till now and only did because the bike would not start this morning and after sitting a bit and putting airbox back together it tried to fire and I gave it about 1/2 throttle and it fired. Ran fine after that??
Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
I'm a curious 990 guy and have never seen an 1190 air box/filter setup. Do you think the paper filter is passing dirt? Seal on box cover? What? Just looking at parts diagram, I am puzzled as to what would be allowing this amount of dirt/dust to get through......
Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadscamaro View Post
The more I look at this the more upset I get. I hope ktm replaces the engine. I am calling ktm customer service to complain about the airbox. The number for usa off their website is 440-985-3553. I suggest everyone does the same.
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,343
I have called Ktm USA

In the past about a few things going on with this bike and they always act as it's the first time they have ever heard of it. I hope this is not the case with the air box . Cold start issues and new cables being released over seas but not here

Huh ?
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Thumb KTM Good News from Australia

G'day Guys

I have spoken with the warranty man Craig **** of KTM Australia.

I expressed my concern to him concerning the airbox issue with the 2013 and 2014 models.
He has informed me that within two weeks KTM Australia is sending letters to all 1190 owners informing them that they will supply Unifilters at their cost, for all bikes including the R model.

The owners will need to pay for the install.

He also wanted the name of my bike shop contact in my town, to send the filter overnight to them.

I explained that my bike is going in on Friday to have an unscheduled 7,500Km oil+filter change, and perform wiring harness update.

The filter will be there by Friday.

He also mentioned that Australia have sent a letter/email to KTM factory informing them about the issues about the air box.

KTM have a full and comprehensive knowledge of this problem, however what they will do world wide is yet to be seen.

For Australian riders this is a positive step, acknowledging the problem, then doing something for the customer to correct the problem.
Im very happy with this approach

I hope this is also the case for all other countries, yet to be seen and felt
by the riders.

I have now set up a good relationship with not only Greg Chambers of KTM, as he forwarded me to speak with Craig warrany man.
Craig phoned me and was polite and professional and fully in the know about the air box...

I told him that i love riding the 1190, he wanted to hug me, just kidding
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:26 AM   #10
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
KTM Australia have been pretty supportive though what I regard as an badly handled embarrassment for KTM. The image put forward by KTM is a hardcore (hate that word) adventure tourer tearing up dirt roads and rough tracks with dust flying everywhere. The reality is that if you actually do this without modification to the filtration system, you will likely damage the engine sooner or later.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xTaWFLGpTGg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe KTM figured that we would all buy the bikes and park them at Starbucks to drive the GS owners orange with envy (this does actually work in my experience ), and no-one would actually ride them in dust as per the video. Otherwise I cant for the life of me understand why KTM just didnt come clean (bad pun I know) and fix the problem before the warranty claims started to roll in. It just seems like a very poor business decision.

My 1190 seems to only be held together by my love for it sometimes.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:39 AM   #11
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Same. $70 shop credit works for me.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 AM   #12
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

https://www.facebook.com/Ktm1190AdventureProblems

And the first sign of trouble I had was that the mechanic tried to blow it off as a valve clearance setting issue. And in South africa we are being told that the warranty will be affected by fitting a unifilter, thus voiding the warranty. Now I am sorry but this is fucking pathetic. And the best part of all is that every dealer has a different story
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
Scro
Bi-curious

Oddometer: 106
Use oil analysis to check if your air filter is letting dust into the engine. If it has you will have proof to show KTM and if not you will sleep better at night.

I've used Blackstone (USA) for years for my diesel trucks. Peace of mind for $25.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php

Government doesn't have anything they didn't take from you first...

No one will prepare for what they cannot see coming.
Scro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 538
I put the Uni filter on tonight. The inside of the airbox was pretty dusty, along with the throttle bodies. Not as bad as some on here, but I just picked up the bike 3 weeks ago. 700 miles, and one dirt ride of about 60 miles last weekend. That was a really dusty ride.
I'm convinced after seeing mine the problem was not fixed from earlier versions.
And what a PITA getting to the air filter. After owning KTM's for past 12 years, I expect easier access to the air filter from them. They always set the bar for quick air filter changes in the past. The 950 was a PITA too, I think the 1190 might be worse.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
chadscamaro
Adventurer

If it was really dusty and inside had a coating of dust you may want to at least make dealer aware. Mine only has 1800 miles less than half off road and only 1 really dusty 2 day 550 mile trip with about 150 or so miles of dusty roads and my engine will be out of my bike tomorrow for KTM to figure out the next step because its toast!