Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 276
Talking Bajalamadingdong

Hello friends,
The ride report to follow details my poorly planned yet excellently executed adventure to the tip of Baja and back. As I just recently arrived home safe and sound last week, I'm still currently preparing for the full effort of beginning the ride report by uploading photos, going over notes and trying to stream together some kind of storyline continuity. I figured I should at least make an attempt at getting the ball rolling with this post as these ride reports tend to be a serious pain in the asshole when it's actually time to type. That being the case, in the meantime, enjoy a few pictures to whet your appetite as a full RR is soon to follow. Until then, I look forward to telling you a tale of a 20 day motorcycle round-trip beginning in Sacramento and meandering to Cabo San Lucas after meeting up with a lady-rider in Mojave with my girlfriend's blessings only to randomly pick up another fellow rider in Mulege to join us as we camp on beaches in between staying in small towns and occasionally riding with hangovers and taking tons of career-best pictures all the while miraculously consuming my body weight in questionable food cart tacos without so much as a case of the trots to show for it. Thanks for reading along and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely
-T
P.S. A teaser for your pleasure.

Cheers!!

BRUTSQD screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 04:46 PM
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,130
Excellent pictures. IN!!

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 689
Good start.

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
MufflerBearings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Excellent. I've been waiting for this one since your trip planning thread from some time ago!

A KLR RIDES (to) THE BAJA 500 (to spectate)! - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893347
MufflerBearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Looking forward to your RR. My buddy and I make an annual pilgrimage to Baja and we're looking forward to this year, which will be our 5th.
Maybe we'll see you on the road as he's from Marysville and I'm from Sonoma.
Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Good start and great pics.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 370
"questionable food cart tacos" ??? IN!

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,186
cool pic's

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
benport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Glad it went well!

Hey Brutsqd,
We met you at Alfonsina's... we were headed north on two Tiger 800's.
Looks like you had an awesome trip and I look forward to the report.
Was the guy you met up with the guy with the orange Tiger? We met him at Coco's.
I need to get my shit together and post a report of our trip... I'm already planning the next one!
benport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 719
Great pix! Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 276
Wicked The Beginning. Day 1

Introduction:

So.. A month and a half ago I found myself sweating it out in front of a rapid fire panel interview and the hospital I already work at. For the past 5 years I've been working as a critical care floatpool nurse with a per diem schedule, which translates to I work as much or as little as I feel like. The big drawback being per diem doesn't give you retirement or health benefits... Finally the dream job came along and I finally heard the call to leave my irresponsible lifestyle of constant travel and motorcycle riding to try to grow up a little. I threw my name in the hat and 2 weeks later I got a call from my manager that I got the promotion and that I start on May 25th on the Action Team/Rapid Response Team. That gives me just a little over a month to work with. Time to go on one last ride before I have to get responsible, at least for a little while.

Down to business..
After spending countless hours drooling over the never ending ride report, I had two destinations in mind to choose from that I could do on short order. Alaska or Baja. Considering it's a month too early for Alaska, Baja it is.

I read these ride reports and took notes..
Hardworkingdog's - Baja, The Long Way
and especially, Da Foole's - Da Foole and Jake's Fake Baja Adventure

Entirely sold on Baja, I read the For Baja Travelers Guide and bought both Baja Bound insurance as well as medical evac flight insurance in case things got weird.

Pack up..

The last bit of business to attend to was to find some other inmates to ride with on short notice. I don't speak a lick of Spanish and I didn't want to get ass-raped or have my kidneys stolen to I figured safety in numbers was a prudent idear. After posting and responding to a few posts, I found Phoenix aka Rocketgrrl whom met both my strict standards in that she A) wanted to go and B) spoke some Spanish. Currently she was relaxing in Morango Valley in the Mojave Desert so I've got my first destination already picked out.

The Plan: Leave Sacramento, head to Morango Valley, make sure she's not an axe murderer and head to Tecate.

Which Route to take? Could take I-5 South and drive through California's many buttholes, or take the more scenic route.. Tahoe to 395 to Mono it is..

Tahoe

Peeled off just before the lake and cut over to 395. Saw a dilapidated house for a camera op.

Got distracted by a CDF fire lookout

Highway 395.

Mono Lake: Always wanted to check it out. Arrived late in the evening with the sun setting so I'll have to check it out in the morning. In the mean time, I've been having so much fun on my first day of vacation I forgot to eat. Coffee and Cliff bars only work for so long.

Pulled in the town of Lee Vining, got a motel room key and tore ass over to the Historic Mono Inn as they were supposed to be closing in 30 minutes.

Lee Vining is a cool little town. Beautiful, close to Bode ghost town, close to the backside of Yosemite and cool stuff to see around Mono lake. Good place to take a significant other for a few days if one was so inclined.

Ordered the Colorado elk burger with the caramelized onions and bleu cheese with a side of truffle fries. Holly fucking balls.

As it's my first day of what should be an epic vacation, had to grab a nightcap at the grocery store's wall of microbrews.

With a healthy buzz I hit the sack and passed out immediately. Not a bad first day.

NEXT: 395, a ghost town, a desert and a new friend.
many many many pictures to come.

BRUTSQD screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 05:11 PM
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
rdy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great pictures and looking forward to next chapter for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Great shots of 395. I used to ride between Reno/Mammoth/SoCal frequently. Great country.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #14
CJ5K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Nice man!

Love the pictures! How bad/good were the roads down there? did you ever find yourself thinking "so glad I'm on a dual sport right now!" or conversely, that a dual sport was overkill and you could have gotten away with a street bike?

Looks like a fantastic ride... I may have to copy it in the near future

Stay safe,
Chris cj5K
CJ5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
benport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Loving it!!!
benport is offline   Reply With Quote