User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Scooters Across America: San Francisco to New York

My Dad cam up with this crazy idea of riding scooters across america. and just a couple of week ago I found out that I had my summer open so I decided to join him. Now the plan is this Buy cheep Chinese scooters and ride from San Francisco to New York. Shopping on Craigslist we found a 150cc scooter for $100 and went to look at it. It did not run but we went for it. We go it home and put a new battery in it and it started and ran just fine. So this would become my ride. Next my Dad decided to by a CT70 Chinese copy and we found one in LA new. Plan now in order we started the ride today.

6/23/2014: OK after all the planning the ride really begins today: We are in downtown San Francisco and will be headed to Sacramento today.

The day started through Golden Gate Park and through the city. Jeffrey stopped at a city shop for some bananas

Then came the crossing the golden gate bridge. See our video to see how funny we look on the small bikes as we run wide open across the bridge.

We took a side trip through the back streets of Sausalito, cool homes back here

Then we headed north through the Golden Gate Nat'l Recreation Area. Very beautiful back here, and cool windy and steep roads.

Then came lunch in Petaluma at the: 4th&Sea Fish & Chips, awesome mom and dad type shop.

You guessed it we had the Fish and Chips

After lunch came the start of hot weather, I hope these little bike can take it, and us too

We rode along the Sacramento River for about 50 miles as we headed up into Sacramento.

Ok, Day1 complete, everything went well, and the bikes still seem to be fine. Although my CT70 seems to be shifting hard, and it even jumped out of 2 gear once. I hope it makes it, only 4100 miles left.

Video of Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge

Jeffrode screwed with this post 06-24-2014 at 08:09 AM
Jeffrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
RiderRick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
subscribed!

I will ride along, be safe and have fun!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

http://riderrick.wordpress.com/
RiderRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,253
Looks awesome! Can't wait to read more!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Freerydejunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Ahhh another GPSKevin ride.

Freerydejunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Lookin' good. I think I'll tag along.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
dedave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
What's the plan? Camping?

Can you a list of how and what gear?

How fast can you average? That 7 seems a bit small for any real speeds.
dedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Completed Day2

6/24/2014: Today was to begin in Sacramento, CA and work our way through the mountains today and dropping into the desert going through Carson City and along highway 50 to Fallen, NV.

The morning started out perfect waking up in Sacramento to perfect riding weather. Left the city headed out into the mountains

We worked our way through the city streets on our way over to the mountains and the beautiful countryside of northern California.

Had a great time winding up in the mountains through the forest roads. The tree canopy engulfed the road and just gave us a great shaded, remote country road to take in with all the miles. Continued through the trees wrapping along the hills to our first gas stop which happened to be this little country store and restaurant.

Continued to play around in the hills on awesome roads that brought you back to your childhood, just having fun cruising around with your friends, weaving in and out of the forested corners. Then I got him and he got me back.

That is I got a squirrel and he got me. I think I ended up with the upper hand since I wasn’t killed. We then continued on and worked our way down into Tahoe after overcoming our biggest obstacle.

We worked and worked the bikes were full throttle and were working as hard as they could to reach the summit. They kept Klim-ing up to the summit and reach the highest we have ever taken them, 7382 ft. Then we dropped down into Tahoe. Just an incredible view on the lake from the highway.

We went down to town and had a great lunch at BOB DOG Pizza, It was a great end to the first half of the day. Next we went down into Carson City and then worked our way across Highway 50, “The Loneliest Highway” towards Fallen, NV.

Youtube from the day

Old 06-25-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedave View Post
What's the plan? Camping?

Can you a list of how and what gear?

How fast can you average? That 7 seems a bit small for any real speeds.
dedave, it is all motels for us, no camping so we are not carrying much gear. This is my Dad vision of America at 35mph Why???. The bikes max do 40mph max but likely will not go the distance if we run them wide open. So we will see.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #9
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,210
Big Balls

You two have some giant balls to ride the Small Chinese scooters across the country. Good luck! I will be tagging along on this adventure.

Scooters are really cool by the way.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #10
mtnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Go Kevin and Jeff!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:05 AM   #11
nm767
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
This is great. I'd love to do this on a big bike with my dad. I'm jealous of the time you have. Tagged to follow along. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nm767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:09 AM   #12
Firemanmike69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I'm in to see your adventure good look guys looks like lots of fun so far
Firemanmike69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:32 AM   #13
mceee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
This is awesome, I'm there! You guy's be really, really careful. Road rage ain't no joke now a day's!
mceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #14
Jeffrode OP
Adventurer

Scooters Day3 Update

6/25/2014: Today we began in Fallon, NV and work our way across the desert floor and over some mountains towards our final destination Wells NV.

The morning started out bright and early leaving from Fallon at 6:45 since it was a long day ahead of us of some 397 miles. We started out on the loneliest road in America traveling across the desert.

This section was long and very flat but not as boring as you might think. It had some interesting scenery changes and even quite a few hills.

We had to work at having out scooters climb any and every hill along the day so, when there was a sign showing the pass we had to take a picture. There were a total of 9 passes so that shows that it isn't just a boring, flat old desert road. It had some nice scenery changes. The highest pass was at 7600 ft which is our new record for these little scooters and they just kept motoring along smoothly. We came to a couple old mining towns during the day.

These little old towns, such as Eureka, had just that great old time American mining vibe and just these very cool and authentic mining culture bestowed in them. We also went over the one of the famous trails that lead to the west.

Thats right the Pony Express Trail, we even found out that my dad could imitate a old cowboy. We continued on putting more and more miles under our belt until we had the first major failure.

Thats right we had a footpeg failure on the little 70. Okay, so it isn't as bad as you think just the little rubber cover came off. This was bad news for us though because we had to spend an hour looking back and forth on the highway for it.

We found it a 100 yard back from where we stopped and were able to hit the road again and motored on for our last 100 miles. This is also when we ran into our first rain of the trip. It happened to just be a little sprinkle and was a nice way to cool off.

411 Miles on Small Bikes WOW
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
longrides1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
You guys are awesome, wish I had the time to do that with my son.

Kevin I don't think you need to worry about getting a ticket on those speed demons.
Ride Report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004437
longrides1 is offline   Reply With Quote