Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Riteris OP
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,860
My ride this past Saturday.

A boring, little story for your enjoyment:

This past Saturday, I was passed by a pirate parade of some 30 people on straight piped Harleys (in matching vests.) I was doing 8-10mph over the limit when they passed.

I caught up to them on a section of two lane(eastbound) twisties and was able to get past them before the two lanes turned into one. This was in spite of several of them joining me in my lane at inopportune times. (Like when I was swinging wide through the turn, inside my lane.)

Unfortunately, there was a car in front of me in the now and the group of Harley enthusiasts (in matching vests) was behind me. I was not happy about having this pirate parade at my six and the guy in front of me having a love affair with his brakes. There was one more set of twisties to go until I had to slab it back home.

So, wanting to enjoy this last set of twisties, I passed Mr. Flashy Brakes.

It was a "clean" pass in that I could see far ahead on this straightaway. It was a "dirty" pass due to those all too frequent pesky double yellow lines that I crossed.

(Lets not turn this into a discussion about passing on a double yellow, okay?

I enjoyed this last bit of twisties and motored along on the straightaway, moving some 8-10 over the limit for several miles.

The pirate parade (in matching vests) caught me several miles later.

At a light, I nodded my head in acknowledgement of existance the "leader" of the pirate parade. "He yelled at me over the noise of his straight pipes and his blippy throttle brethren; "Nice job crossing the double yellow back there. You make us all look bad!"

As cascade of responses poured from my brain. Fortunately for me and my teeth, they came all at once and I could not vocalize my thoughts. Among them were, "If you want to look good you might try losing 30 pounds." I also thought about mentioning the speeds they had traveled over the speed limit. I also thought of mentioning that a lot of people really don't like the noise from straight piped motorcycles and how that affects some people's opinions of motorcyclists.

I just nodded my head and waited for the green light.

There were several more lights for the next few miles where I just sort of looked ahead in anticipation of the green light. Eventually, they turned left and I went straight, with the same number of teeth I left home with that morning. Sometimes it is a good thing to be a little "slow."

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
"WHAT?! I can't hear you over those damn pipes!"
Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 593
He said you make us all look bad, not sound bad
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
I would have just shook my head (more of a "whatever" nod, not a "you're right" nod), maybe add a face palm. Or... would have just ignored. Full face helmets with a mirrored visor are good for that sort of thing. The idiocy and hypocrisy of the "make us look bad" while being total assholes to everyone around them (do ya really need to blip the throttle at a light (or even starting up), will the engine die otherwise?).
Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,169
boy do bikers have different opinions on what makes other bikers look bad....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,788
Did you just tell us a parade of 30 some cruiser dudes passed you wearing matching vests... How is it possible you let such an atrocitie occur????

My god man. That should never have happened

You've made us all look bad... What if word of this passes. There will be cruiser dudes trying to pass all of us. We will all get numerous speeding tickets trying to right this wrong, and eventually some of us may get jailed for excessive speeding.. The trickle down effect is mind boggling.

Your gonna have to go all "wild hog" on them to make this right. Go find them, cut their fuel lines and blow up their club house. It's the only way....
Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
MauiCowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Oh, the horror. Now there are 30 pirates who don't like motorcyclists.
MauiCowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 682
about a year ago i was riding a bv350 scoot between sequim and port townsend on hwy 104. posted speeds are 50-60, i was ambling along at 65-ish when i chance upon a trio of "pirates" going 45-50, their slash cut pipes blatting.

so's i wind the little 330cc scoot up to pass 'em. and i do.

and i look at their cute little vests.

and their many, many tats.

and their leathery angry faces.

and quickly at their vests again. which are not ACTUALLY cute. they are old leather, with one patch on the back: the norteños. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norte%c3%b1os, probably headin' back from visitin' blood in the clallam county corrections center.)

i may or may not have let out a girlish sequel of horror, but i definitely gunned it. i got the little scoot up to 85, but they were hot on my ass. i knew they were probably havin' fun with me, but i was NOT gonna find out, and i dragged my centerstand tangs turning onto hwy 20, where i finally lost 'em in the curves. at the time, i'd never ridden that hard or hot in my life.

and that, ladies and gents, is the single most emasculating moment on my short-ish developing two wheeled career.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
about a year ago i was riding a bv350 scoot between sequim and port townsend on hwy 104. posted speeds are 50-60, i was ambling along at 65-ish when i chance upon a trio of "pirates" going 45-50, their slash cut pipes blatting.

so's i wind the little 330cc scoot up to pass 'em. and i do.

and i look at their cute little vests.

and their many, many tats.

and their leathery angry faces.

and quickly at their vests again. which are not ACTUALLY cute. they are old leather, with one patch on the back: the norteños. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norte%c3%b1os, probably headin' back from visitin' blood in the clallam county corrections center.)

i may or may not have let out a girlish sequel of horror, but i definitely gunned it. i got the little scoot up to 85, but they were hot on my ass. i knew they were probably havin' fun with me, but i was NOT gonna find out, and i dragged my centerstand tangs turning onto hwy 20, where i finally lost 'em in the curves. at the time, i'd never ridden that hard or hot in my life.

and that, ladies and gents, is the single most emasculating moment on my short-ish developing two wheeled career.
Yeah, that's always exciting. Flip off a group of pirates who can't hold their lane in curve, almost running you off the road, discover that they're not a group of weekend warrior poser types (despite the completely inept riding) but a local chapter of a 1% gang. (Who, probably fortunately for me, apparently didn't notice the gesture)

Hard to keep track of which "cut" belongs to the criminal psychopaths and which are just riding club uniforms.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,776
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,624
You broke the law and the "leader" called you out in person.

They broke the law and you take to the internet to bitch about it.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
You broke the law and the "leader" called you out in person.

They broke the law and you take to the internet to bitch about it.

Leader had 29 men in reserve
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Leader had 29 men in reserve
Dentists, accountants, and fast food franchise owners. A surly lot indeed.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,339
I have passed groups of Harley's on my TU250, in a no passing zone, but with sightlines and room to do so.
I am not going to be stuck behind a really slow group of bikes if I can help it.

I am not sure I would do it with the REAL biker gang types.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Dentists, accountants, and fast food franchise owners. A surly lot indeed.
You forgot the lawyer/bikers, they're always looking for anyone not conforming to the law.

I have to say, in the context of that event, knowing my bike can easily pull off a quick pass (no passing zones are designed based on what normal vehicles can do/can't do), I'd probably have done the same thing.