User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #1321
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Leaving Battle Mountain

... the TAT jogs around the surrounding valley, all within sight of the town and the interstate.

Once we realized the tedium of the exercise, we made our way under the interstate, and headed for the hills

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #1322
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The run from

Battle Mountain to McDermitt is reputed to be long, and tough. I knew the section just before McDermitt was in the Humbolt-Toiyabe N.F., so I wasn't too worried if we didn't make it to McDermitt, we'd certainly be able to cowboy camp. What I was wondering, however, was how to play a side-trip to Paradise Valley, and if the timing would work out to have lunch there, and if we did that, how to get back onto the TAT.

We had a few choices, backtrack, skipping a couple miles of TAT that are reputed to be skip-worthy, or to take DockingPilot's route up to Hinkey Summit, but then trying to cross back over to the TAT instead of jumping on the pavement at Rt. 95. I thought I had found a route back, but we'd have to play it by ear.

In the meantime, we had many miles to cover. We started out on a well-graded liason through some abandoned ranch land.

Did I mention that we'd be pushing up to the edge of our fuel range. We had an extra liter and a half of unleaded for the stove that we could use for back-up, but we decided to keep all the SweetCheeks (8L) filled with water rather than gas, since there was a good chance we'd be out in the desert for a couple of days. This just meant no wrong turns, no tip-overs with fuel loss, no back-tracks, and no re-routes 'till McDermitt. No pressure or nothin'.

at least we were well rested, and getting a fairly early start. Maybe we'd pull it off.

That's what I was thinking as we began today's ride.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #1323
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

For Sale

Mods, feel free to move this post to Flea Market.

You, yes YOU, with no money down, no obligation, and a small payment each month, can turn THIS:

into this... just think, the home of your dreams... future golf course and water park site planned (zoning board approval pending.)

Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #1324
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Someone

missed a turn.

Previously, this would have necessitated me either stopping and waiting at the intersection, hoping that she'd notice quickly and backtrack before burning through too much fuel, or alternatively, I'd have to pin my throttle to reel her in, and we'd both burn fuel backtracking.

Now, however, all I had do is activate the intercom and say...
"Hey tiger... where're ya goin'?"
"What do you mean?"
"You blew by a turn... "
"oops. Be back there in a second."

Two thumbs up for the Scalas.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #1325
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was

artistic. A cowboy sculpture / performance piece.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #1326
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Within

45 minutes of departure, we were on this:

the first special section for the day...

and it didn't let up for a good. long. while.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #1327
dutch2004
Dreaming the dream...zzz

Oddometer: 66
I'm lovin' this RR Dr. Rock and LDF. You guys rock!

Question, do you have a list of gear such as tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc. posted? If so and I missed it, sorry. If not, I would love to get the specs.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #1328
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Would you call

the trail in the photo above two-track? Or is it actually a double single-track?

Didn't really matter, 'cause that turned out to be the big road that we turned OFF of onto this:

Which was definitely single-track.

The trail was punctuated by these big holes... probably where land mines had been removed.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #1329
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch2004
I'm lovin' this RR Dr. Rock and LDF. You guys rock!

Question, do you have a list of gear such as tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc. posted? If so and I missed it, sorry. If not, I would love to get the specs.
I do, but I can't send it as an attachment via ADV, so you'll have to PM me your email address.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #1330
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We eventually

punched our way out of the sage and scrub infested cow-path onto this road...

[Note, this berm is only slightly lower than the one LDF launched off of out of Eureka... she cleared it cleanly ]

Only to dive right back into this:

Old 06-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #1331
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A word regarding

riding the kind of two-track you see in the last photo above. It's a typical stretch that repeats for miles and miles.

The sage on the outside of each track often reaches handlebar height, and extends well into your path. Yes, when you hit it, your hand is protected by the handguard, but the consequence is that your bars turn and direct your front wheel off the road... so you do your best to ride on the inside of the track... which means that your inside foot and peg is almost continuously hitting the sagebrush on the crown. The sensation you have while riding is that the gnarled arms of the sagebrush are reaching out and biting your bars or your pegs, like a snake, or a dog.

Meanwhile, you may be inspired to change tracks because there's some obstacle in the track you're in. Hang on, 'cause it gets pretty bumpy up there on the crown, you're basically bushwhacking at that point.

So despite the fact that the trail looks straight, and fairly tame, it's almost impossible to safely and comfortably achieve any decent speeds through this stuff. It's still fun, though.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-05-2009 at 01:05 PM
Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #1332
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On the short liason

I stopped to take a photo of these cows who were holding a vigil over one of their fallen comrades.

Not sure what got the little guy, but it was a pretty fresh kill. The head and one leg remained.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #1333
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This photo

is from the "flat" valley. It got a little sandy, too...

We got to our first tumble-weed drift that completely obscured the road.

Now what?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #1334
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I guess

you can just ride through it, like it's a water crossing...

Cool.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #1335
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next

tumble-drift wasn't so easy... it had piled up against a fence, and we had to open, and go through a gate.

It was really socked in!

I struggled disentangling the barbed wire gate;

LDF started to blast through like an ice breaker in the St. Lawrence seaway...

we were cracking up... this was NOT an obstacle I had anticipated.