Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #1366
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
As always, constantly excellent ride report, I hate catching up to the current page. Can't wait for more, thanks!
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #1367
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Paradise Valley

I was surprised that we had covered the distance that we had. It wasn't even 1pm. A credit to my early-start + keep-moving and you don't have to go fast theory.

we found our way to the bar / restaurant, where there were a couple of tables of bikers (cruisers) drinking outside. We de-geared, and found seats at the cool bar inside. I opened my boots to dry out my socks, LDF didn't, and regretted it.

We spent our lunch chatting with the bartender, who told us that as of two days ago, Hinkey Summit was still snowed in. Given our fuel range, I didn't want to risk any back-tracking, so we decided to route nearly straight back to the TAT from Paradise Valley. The detour to Paradise Valley and back to Greely Rd is 18.2 miles, but you cut out 4.3 miles of the TAT, for a net increase of 14 miles. Something to keep in mind if fuel is an issue.

But the lunch was great, as was the company, and the 411.

The chef:

Our contribution in the ADV section:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #1368
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We chatted with the

cruiser guys,

who were suitably impressed with LDF,

it was kind of strange talking to her and having other people hear what we were saying... We were getting a little too used to having the intercoms on.

With no gas in Paradise Valley, 28 miles was more than we could afford if we got turned around trying to clear Hinkey Summit.

Martin Creek and Greely Crossing roads turned out to be a nice easy transit,

which we enjoyed, knowing full well that it wouldn't last long.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #1369
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Climbing in elevation

we got a nice view of the range to the East where Hinkey Summit was.

Yep, there's snow up there. We started in on the next special stage.

It always starts easy... don't be fooled.

So far, another great day.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #1370
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The views

were expansive,

"Not two, baby... this is Mobius III"

It's little exchanges like that, which makes having the Scala's so much fun.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #1371
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was starting to hit me

that I had been suffering under a fair amount of stress. First, was integrating some pretty extensive bike maintenance into a family-reunion weekend, then trouble-shooting & arranging the Scala replacement, then making the miles to get to our tire appointment in Battle Mountain.

It was starting to occur to me that we didn't have to push so hard anymore to keep up a pace, that we could take an hour and have a sit-down lunch, and we still had plenty of time to make it to Reno.

Cool.

So when I saw the waypoint for the "scenic overlook -- short hike" come up on the GPS screen, of course we were going to stop. I think I screwed up a little, though. I thought I remembered Sam's notes saying "Hike up to the rock pile"...

So I told LDF "Keep riding until you get to a rock pile, then we'll park and it will be a short hike."

The distances are decieving.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #1372
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There was a small saddle

(no rock pile) which is probably where we should have parked and hiked

But LDF motored on up the next steep bit,

which turned out to BE the peak.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #1373
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

and there was the rock pile

The views, obviously, were awesome, and we spend some time cooling down, getting hydrated, and shoeing away the flies. (Was the pile of rocks marking a grave?)

No sign of human habitation in 360 degrees.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #1374
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oi

now that's a manly man:

I'm practically a moto-cowboy .
Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #1375
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Panorama looking west

Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #1376
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hard to convey

how little you feel out here.

Turning counter-clockwise... Southward:

to the East:

North:

Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #1377
danno626
Boom goes the dynamite!

Oddometer: 106
Thumb Photos and Commentary

DokRok....It took me a long time to get to page 92 and it was worth every minute!! You never can take too many photos....and you have just the right amount. Thank you for your tips, commentary, recommendations and insight. I look forward to the TAT.

Danno
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S
2011 Husaberg FE 570 S
danno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #1378
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tell me that's not a good looking

bike.

Ok, gotta keep moving.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #1379
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

If you're not

camping capable, the next section 'till you get to McDermitt is pretty long,

and remote.

I've read a couple of RR's where people get stranded out here after dark.

No biggie for us... we could pretty much have stopped anywhere.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #1380
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We followed

chicken creek upstream for a ways,

to where it passed near Squaw Tit Butte.

and then, around this gate, somehow, I got us on a line on the map, which corresponded to NOTHING on the ground.