Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
big adv OP
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,064
Sunday Rides

Just got to love a Sunday ride. Nothing else can make the weeks troubles seem so far away.

Just thought I'd post up a little ride report on yesterdays ride, nothing epic, but a good day to be out in the world.

“Earl is my new hero as he overcame the biggest personal hurdles, way to go Earl!” Rellik
This is what Allan (Rellik) posted about me in the RF Canada thread “Calgarians that dualsport” after our Sunday ride. Now I need to qualify this. To some this statement may imply that I am ‘challenged’, this is not the case. Although I did take a 550lb dualsport bike where I ought not to, so this may qualify me as being special.
This ride started out with me posting if anyone was going for a DS ride on sat. or sun.. A few people chimed in, and a loose plan was formed. We would meet in Cochrane at 10am at the Starbucks Sun. June 7. Now I know what you all are thinking, but not one BMW showed up! We had our coffees, shot the shit, discussed our abilities, and formed a loose game plan. As some of the riders (me) had limited experience we decided to kind of take it easy. Wesley J was our intrepid guide for the day’s fun.
So the cast of characters for the ride:
CALRIDER-XL250
RELLIK-990Adv S
RIDER1-950SE
ROCKYRIDER-WEE-STROM
WESLEY J-XR650
WORKMYBOLLOCKSOFF-640Adv
I am very bad with names, there were three other guys with us, but their names are escaping me, sorry.

They were on another 640Adv, a 990Adv, and a DRZ400,
And of course me, BIG ADV, on my 990Adv.
I’m hoping that the other guys will chime in here and post up there verson of the ride as well as there pics, as I keep forgetting to get the camera out!

So off we go to the Ghost/Waiparous area, did I mention that it had been pissing rain for the last two days, and had snowed the night before? This ought to be fun on a stock Scorpion A/T rear tire.

Heres RIDER1 looking at his bike wondering WTF am I doing here. Later in the afternoon I’d be asking myself that same question.

A little farther up the first trail, enjoying the weather and the break

Did I mention that it was June 7? This would be the last of the sun for a bit.

I learned that the trick to riding in mud, uphill, with a street biased tire, is to carry some momentum. This would come to bit me in the ass later on.

I was really getting into it on one trail, catching a bit of air off the shale steps, when I found out that a 990 is really not a dirt bike, it does not have long travel, it does not have high ground clearance, and it does weigh a lot. I also found out that cast aluminum does not make for a strong bash plate.

I didn’t get any pics of the afternoon’s fun, as my bike was starting to get tired and decided to take a few naps in the middle of the trail. Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in and give their account and pics of the days ride. I had a fantastic time and learned a lot, like putting your bike down on a muddy steep downhill makes it hard to pick up by yourself, thanks Leo!! Also learned that trying to catch fish with your boots (when there on) does not work, and makes for a cold ride home.

Yes, that is snow, did I mention that its June 7th ?
I think a good time was had by all despite the weather and I hope it’s a start to a great summer of riding.

Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is online now   Reply With Quote