ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

Oddometer: 746
Tidewater KLR Techday 13 June North Suffolk

I'm hosting another Techday for KLRs on Saturday June 13th.

So far on the worklist is a Balancer Lever Replacement aka Doohickey, and a Valve clearance check/adjustment. We'll see who else wants to jump in.

I've got a two car garage, but only one ATV/MC lift, so we'll need to coordinate the work, valve inspections don't need a lift, but the balancer job goes much easier with one.

Other riders are free to stop by and visit, I put the KLR label on this as that is my specialty.

PM for the Address and to let me know you are coming so I can get a head count.

Tidewater KLR
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
"A motorcycle in the garage is safe, but that is not what it is made for"
Photo library at http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Tumbleweed7/
Tidewater KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,992
Aw man! I have to work Saturday!!!

My 08 keeps developing oil leaks, and it's starting to sound like there's a couple of pieces of gravel in the bottom end. I'm hoping it's just the balancer spring that needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure I want to tackle it my myself.

I hope you have another tech day in the near future.

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

I'm available, just need a few days to set it up is all.

No worries, been waiting to have a peak inside an 08 anyway.

Maybe in July?

TW
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
advridgerunner
RESIST WE MUCH !

Oddometer: 1,071
DUDE, more notice !!!
I need a d-hickey fix and would like to watch the process again.
Going back to the hills this weekend, so I can't make it.
maybe another time....

1981 CBX (missing it already!)-
advridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

No worries, doing a Doo is 1-2 hrs normally, going slow and explaining things. Just let me know when you would like to do the Doo and we'll set it up.

E
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater KLR
I'm available, just need a few days to set it up is all.

No worries, been waiting to have a peak inside an 08 anyway.

Maybe in July?

TW
Awesome!

I have to take her back to the dealer (6th trip in 4500 miles) next Tues. Maybe they'll get the oil leak fixed this time. But, I'm losing my optimism with them.

Do you recommend the Eagle Mike doo and spring?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R
Awesome!

I have to take her back to the dealer (6th trip in 4500 miles) next Tues. Maybe they'll get the oil leak fixed this time. But, I'm losing my optimism with them.

Do you recommend the Eagle Mike doo and spring?
Where is the leak coming from? Shouldn't be tough to fix, there aren't that many holes to plug.

and Yes!, while the factory did significantly upgrade the lever with a beefier collar and better construction, the fit is still subpar to the EM Balancer lever, this is based on everything I've read and followed on the KLR specific forums.

Where the factory really screwed up is the spring. They put a new one in, it is longer and after 3K miles is typically done and sitting there under no tension.

The fix is the EM Balancer Adjuster Lever, and the Torsion Spring. This is a much better package all around and provides proper spring tension and a ZERO failure rate for the life of the balancer chain system. No more mucking about in there, just do your periodic adjustment.

E
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
Old 06-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater KLR
Where is the leak coming from? Shouldn't be tough to fix, there aren't that many holes to plug.

and Yes!, while the factory did significantly upgrade the lever with a beefier collar and better construction, the fit is still subpar to the EM Balancer lever, this is based on everything I've read and followed on the KLR specific forums.

Where the factory really screwed up is the spring. They put a new one in, it is longer and after 3K miles is typically done and sitting there under no tension.

The fix is the EM Balancer Adjuster Lever, and the Torsion Spring. This is a much better package all around and provides proper spring tension and a ZERO failure rate for the life of the balancer chain system. No more mucking about in there, just do your periodic adjustment.

E
I think it's the seal behind the front sprocket, but it's hard to say for sure. It's been replaced once already (under warranty). I have a nice silver dollar sized puddle every time I stop riding. After cleaning the area well, it appears as if it's leaking from behind the sprocket and then down below the motor along the longitudinal seam. I've been running the chain pretty dry for the last couple of weeks trying to track it down better.

My motor is starting to make some noise, and I'm thinking the torsion spring may have either failed or has lost all tension. Naturally, I'm hesitant to tear into the motor while it's still under warranty. I'm going to talk to the service manager Tuesday when I drop it off. Hopefully, he'll give me the go ahead to tear into it without voiding the warranty. If he does so, I'll order the parts from EM.

This will be my 7th warranty claim in under 5,000 miles. At least they know me by name when I walk in...

- Jimmy
Old 06-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

Hmm interesting place for an oil leak, that seal is always a suspect, the replacement may not have seated properly. I haven't swapped one out yet, just what I've read online. Could also be the side cover where the Stator wires are coming out, that's right infront of the sprocket. I also developed a leak from poorly sealed banjo washers on the lower end of the external oil line (under the starter) that goes up to the head. This was leaving a little wet spot on top of the engine case and slowly seaping down to the sprocket.

As for the warrantee, just looking inside does not void anything, especially after the numerous attempts at repair.

Are you going to try to come by? If so PM for the address and info.

So far it's a party of 2, me and TheWorstKind....

E
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Can't make it tomorrow. I have to work.

Not so bad though... I'm doing a wingshooting clinic for women.

I hope to get up with you the next time you host a tech day.

- Jimmy
Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
The Tech-Day was brilliant! I had Tidewater KLR all to myself, and I learned more in the TEN HOURS!!!! he doted on my bike than I could have imagined. The man is nothing short of a KLR Guru, and a very competent mechanic on top of that!

We did the Doo, checked the valve clearance, he showed me how to take the valve shims out and how to calculate for the new sizes, how to time the engine , we did the drill through subframe strenghtening mod (what a HUGE mess we made in his garage), and he fixed the loose steering stem lock nut. I learned how to wiggle, jiggle, and just in general, how to be a patient mechanic with hurdles, sticking parts and gaskets, oh-ohs, and dropping parts.

Ethan, thank you so much for your time and effort.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #12
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

Good Morning, Yes what an adventure we had on the Bright Green monster. It's good to pass the KLR knowledge on and keep the breed alive. They are really nice machines to work on.

The Doo replacement went well, though we did need to drill a second hole for the torsion spring.

The lost dowel pin on the Cam cap was the beginning of fatigue.....

The slipping of the cam timing was Brilliant........

But deciding to do the drill through after about 6hrs in the hot garage was nothing less than genius!

WOW what a mess, I'm definitely going to have to do that to my bike - but it's going to take a bit more prep to seal off the engine, final drive, and protect the work area. Instead of pivoting the subframe back a few inches to allow room to drill the frame, I think I'd pull the battery, muffler, disconnect the rear wiring (2 plugs) and flip the whole thing out of the way. THEN completely cover the engine and chain, seal the carb of course, and make sure there is a nice absorbent drop cloth for the cutting oil.

The drill through is a good mod if you can drill straight and have a healthy 1/2" drill.

Spent yesterday at Busch Gardens on a Dad's & Daughter event for our girl scout troop. I was running on Pepsi by the end of the day.

I'll be working on my wife's bike this week, doing about the same thing in the evenings. Gotta see what's going on in there before we start using it.

E
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure