Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #1666
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Next one

was a little bigger...

but with a little creative lumber re-location, it ended up being easy.

I check the GPS topo, and see we've got about a mile to go 'till we start descending, and only about 200-300 ft. more elevation gain left.

It's gonna be close.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #1667
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dirt Bagz

are spoken for.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #1668
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

All good things

must come to an end.

I was sorely tempted, when I saw some knobby tracks had come from the other direction.

C'mon, Francine... we can just walk the bikes... Look, on the GPS it's only like half a mile, and another 200ft. elevation and then it's all downhill...

However, when I scrolled even further along our route, I saw that we'd have to get even a few hundred feet higher than that before we headed down to enter Plumas-Eureka State Park.

OK... I concede. It's turnaround time.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #1669
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was

just as fun though, in the opposite direction.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #1670
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our first

go-around re-route took us to La Porte: (pop. 26)

The problem was that getting around Canyon Creek in that direction (SW) was going to take us way out of our way... so we were looking at a sizable back-track, almost all on pavement.

Oh well...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #1671
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We suffered

our fate.

I think we passed the two Ducati riders at some point going the opposite direction.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #1672
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Graeagle

We made our way to Graeagle, and stopped at the general store for groceries

before heading out to the State Campground. It was 5pm, so we were glad they had such late hours... Remember, this is the thursday night before the Memorial Day weekend.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #1673
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Uh-oh

Now what. Well, let's ride out there. Maybe we can just cowboy camp at the campground, or somewhere along the way. Can't win if you don't play.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #1674
Big Red One
If yer gonna be one...

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

Power Lines!!! We're back on the grid!

Oh, yeah. And antelope.
Squints... not antelope. Mule deer. I won't be at all surprised if you see more of them when you go north on Mobius IV... which I'm subscribing for. How did I miss this until now?

Good Lord, what a RR!! Well done!

Fortunately, I don't really need to.
Big Red One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #1675
darrell098
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
were there any gas stops that didnt have premium gas?
for those ktm trips i have planned. need 91 octane.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #1676
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell098
were there any gas stops that didnt have premium gas?
for those ktm trips i have planned. need 91 octane.
I wasn't really looking for that, 'cause one of my bike-choice criteria was that they had to be able to run on crappy gas, and I always pump the lowest octane available. I think octane hype is 99% marketing anyway, and on the one-hose pumps, when you're filling a moto tank, half of what you get is going to be whatever the last person chose. Never had any pinging, and the DRZ's have 11.3:1 compression ratio. Your 990R has an 11.5:1 ratio, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep, but that's just me.

If I had to guess, many of the crossroads "general store" gas pumps only had 87 or 89 octane and diesel. Anything near an interstate had premium also.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #1677
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,786
Quote:
Hmmm. I don't think so... it would make the wilderness seem too much like... the Bronx .

( Hi, Steve... toldja someday we'd look back and laugh about it. )

BTW Roy, what helmetcam did you settle on?
currently using would be better wording

i like it because it is a tough little bugger and i feel it takes pretty decent footage for what was paid.

takes up to 4gb card, i carry 4 cards each good for 2 hours of footage, 8 hr day. 4gb cards available $9 @ newegg
buttons. hard to accidentally shut off.
mounts. came with a kit of about 8 different ways/pieces to mount

dislikes:
buttons. hard to operate at times.
mounts. the camera to the mount itself is about an inch high.
aiming. nothing built in on the 3k model i have. now i borrow the sons laser pointer and lay it against it to aim when mounting for the day's ride. (concept stolen from the vholdr site)

5k model now has a view finder.

their website has some deals right now on each model

to my knowledge you'll aren't carrying a computer. of course all you need is a portable hard drive and someone else's computer to clear cards part way through a trip

i have my cards numbered 1 - 4 with sharpie and use them sequentially. just so i can mentally keep track of what part of the day they were used for as i copy them off.

more than welcome to use mine to see if you want this brand or not
Old 06-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #1678
KI6HNB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Question for LDF.

Quote:
two miles from Cedarville, putt, putt, putt....

I made it the rest of the way on reserve. But closer than I'd have liked it to be. 165mi on the tank, I'd gotten 185mi before. But not through all that terrain. Note to self: it makes a difference.
I believe you have the Clark 3.9g tank. Whats the furthest you have gone before reserve? Also do you still have the cooling fan on the radiator? I think I have read the the Clark tank allows you to keep it.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #1679
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI6HNB
I believe you have the Clark 3.9g tank. Whats the furthest you have gone before reserve? Also do you still have the cooling fan on the radiator? I think I have read the the Clark tank allows you to keep it.
Furthest to reserve was 185mi. I think. I try not to spend too much time running that low. Gas stops are 120-160 miles. If it's going to be more than that, I carry extra, and pour it in as soon as there's room. The yellow bike has the Acerbis tank made for the E model. The fan has been removed. Blueberry is sporting the 3.9 Clark tank of which you speak.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #1680
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
to my knowledge you'll aren't carrying a computer. of course all you need is a portable hard drive and someone else's computer to clear cards part way through a trip
I thought I remembered you'd tried a couple. I ordered a VholdR ContourHD. I liked the rechargeable via USB battery capability mostly. I'll be recharging off the bikes at 12V each night, and keeping a spare battery at the ready. I have three 8gb microSD's (it can take up to a 16gb card), so that will give me 12h in HD, or 24h in SD. I figure that's at least an hour/day for two weeks, so I shouldn't have to dump to a hard drive en route. Like I said, it'll be for short snippets... maybe a water crossing, hill climb, dialogue, end-zone touch-down dance... you know, the usual.