User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #1681
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
So we're putt-putting

down the camp road, and a pick-up truck with N.F. workers is heading out. I wave them over, and ask if it might be possible to camp even though it isn't open. They tell us that the official opening day is tomorrow, and suggest that we ride in, and ask the hosts if it's OK with them.

Well, the hosts couldn't have been nicer.

They welcomed us, pointed out the best site, were genuinely interested in our travels... really good people!

Neither of us was looking forward to scrambling to find a place to sleep, so letting us stay was really awesome. Thanks, guys!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #1682
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was their

dress rehearsal... the next night they were reserved full up. It was wonderful having the place to ourselves.

Nice, hot, clean showers... plenty of firewood laying around.

It was really a great way to end our time on the trail.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #1683
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

mmmmm

not ramen noodles

and not dinty moore stew

OK, so it was mac & cheese... it looked delicious in the store... we were hungry.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #1684
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Gourmet

camp food:

It ended up being our longest day hours-wise, but really seemed like a relaxed pace, and focusing on fun.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #1685
katoomon
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KI6HNB
I believe you have the Clark 3.9g tank. Whats the furthest you have gone before reserve? Also do you still have the cooling fan on the radiator? I think I have read the the Clark tank allows you to keep it.
Over the years I have seen a CPU cooling fan mounted (KTM's have a 5" wide radiator, don't know about Suzuki) with screws or zip ties on motorcycle radiators. These fans are 12 volt dc, and are 10-18 dollars each. Might fit, might work. Legend has it that they work for years in rain, water crossings, washings, etc.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #1686
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

[edit: Questor will be sporting the Ortlieb low-profile dry-bag saddle bags from Aerostitch. Similar in capacity to the Dirtbagz, and less than the Andy Strapz (when fully expanded), I'm looking forward to his review.]

I purchased a pair of the Ortlieb low profile saddle bags (aka Speedbag) via Aerostich, and I wouldn't recommend them. The bags themselves are very small. Think of 20" tall dry bag w/ a 13" diameter. Then cut the bag in half, so that you have two D-shaped bags roughly 6" x 20". Aerostich list them as having 2100 cubic inches (35L) per side, but that's incorrect.

The total combined storage capacity per Ortlieb's website is 35L.

The biggest drawback is that the straps aren't long enough for a bike that has side racks installed. And since the bags are 20" long, you really need to have the exhaust either completely shrouded, or racks to insure the bags don't make contact.

When I test fitted them on my 650GS w/ Happy Trails rack, I found the velcro straps about three inches shy of the center of the seat. (The hook side couldn't make contact w/ the loop side) In order for the bags to work, in my application, the straps would need to be at least one foot longer on both sides. (three inches to meet up @ the middle of the seat, and at least a minimum of 9" for the velcro to hook together.)

If you're not running a side rack and/or your exhaust is well shrouded, the straps would probably be long enough. Aerostich's photo gallery show some examples, but all of street/road bikes. YMMV.

It's too bad, cause I really like the overall design.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #1687
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 12: Friday May 22, 2009

Last day riding... bringing it on in to Reno.

Notice the symmetrical valley/peak/valleys whenever we were above 6600ft. That was the snow-line.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #1688
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This little guy

woke us up bright and early, and then proceeded to terrorize our campsite, stealing anything that wasn't tied down.

We only had a hundred or so miles to get to Reno, so we were in no rush to leave... 9:45 wheels rolling...

Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #1689
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oh, the smells

I saw this sign and pulled in

It wasn't that far, even in boots. What the heck? Let's take a hike.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #1690
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Hey Doc - the wires coming from the Scala to your jacket - iPod?
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #1691
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Great RR and I hate seeing it come to an end.

Bring on Mobius IV
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #1692
Doktor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I have thoroughly enjoyed the reports and Mobius III may be the best one yet. I have a couple of questions.

Your schedule seems pretty packed, any reason (besides the fact you only have 2 weeks)? Seems like a 1 day break here or there might reduce stress a little if time permits.

Also, I noticed you had to turn back to the campground after deciding to push on @ 4:00ish and realized you had whiffed It's easy to get into "we gotta make time mode" on any trip.
Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #1693
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Scala wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeterson
Hey Doc - the wires coming from the Scala to your jacket - iPod?
the coiled wire connects the ipod to the scala. the thin wires are to the etymotic earbuds.

The Scalas come with helmet speakers hardwired. Others had described a mod to splice in a headphone jack so you can use your own. I wrote it up with photo instructions here.

End result looks like this:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-16-2009 at 03:35 PM
Old 06-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #1694
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
the coiled wire connects the ipod to the scala. the thin wires are to the etymotic earbuds.

The Scalas come with helmet speakers hardwired. Others had described a mod to splice in a headphone jack so you can use your own. I wrote it up with photo instructions here.
Doc, both links above go to the etymotic homepage. I think you meant to point the second link elsewhere/to a file?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #1695
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rest days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor
Your schedule seems pretty packed, any reason (besides the fact you only have 2 weeks)? Seems like a 1 day break here or there might reduce stress a little if time permits.

Also, I noticed you had to turn back to the campground after deciding to push on @ 4:00ish and realized you had whiffed It's easy to get into "we gotta make time mode" on any trip.
I guess we just really, really like riding. Seriously, actually, we do.

Part of the adventure for us is to set out a challenge, and then accomplish it. Our only real "schedule" involves our departure flight day/time. Everything else is flexible day-to-day. What's always interesting from a human-interaction standpoint, (in any group, but especially as a couple), is gauging our level of stress, or fear, or fatigue, and balancing R&R with potentially compromising our eventual sense of accomplishment.

If you remember from Mobius I, we took a day off in Liberal KS, and then after we got caught in snow in NM, we basically holed up in Taos for the rest of that day, relaxed, regrouped, then re-routed (skipping some planned riding) when we eventually got back underway. So we're not above scaling back our ambitions, kicking back and relaxing.

Mobius II had no planned mid-ride rest-day, mostly 'cause we really wanted to ride the White Rim Trail, and then were trying to maximize our time with the kids when we got to Flagstaff. We paid for that, and vowed to schedule at least a half-day rest mid-trip. In Mobius III, that was at Battle Mountain.

So yeah, pushing on, only to backtrack to Mill Creek campground ended up being a bad call. I admit it. (Believe me, LDF is getting as much mileage as she can out of that one. ) On the other hand, pushing a little further is how we (ahem, I ) found the cool old mine at Lone Mountain. Win some, lose some... live and learn.