ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
Tellico Camper OP
Serving since lunch

Oddometer: 356
WNC Toyota Rescue Tellico OHV Rally 6/18-6/21

Hey folks just wanted to invite you to come out to our place this weekend. The South East Toyota Land Cruiser Association and Upstate Cruisers are having a Rally here at www.crawfordsattellico.com this weekend and they have opened it up to anyone that wants to participate in the Fest. They are not charging any fees for the rally. You will only be obligated for your accommodations, food and Raffle tickets. There will be a rock crawl comp. on our rock garden, Tug of war, Raffle and food. All proceeds from there Rally goes to the Rescue Tellico fund to keep your right to operate motorized vehicles on public lands. Tellico OHV has been determined the line in the sand. Blue Ribbon, United Four Wheel Drive, Southern Four Wheel Drive and the AMA have joined forces to fight these closures that are happening all across the Nation. How many times have you seen a gate thrown up on a road and not given any explanation as to why? This is your chance to get involved.
PS>For those that may be concerned that this is not their type of crowd you are mistaken. These people are not the Hell Raising Rednecks with the giant 4x4's. They would more than likely be intimidated by the looks of the ADV rider crowd. LOL!
If you can't stay at least stop by it will be a blast! I have a good off pavement route laid out for those that want to take a scenic ride. If your up to the challenge I even have some water crossings.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
version6.1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Rescue Tellico OHV

I'll be there. Great twisties for the VStrom motorcycle surrounding the event site at Crawford's. But with all these events, I might not ever leave the campground. I've been waiting to see that Rock Garden in use... Should be very entertaining..
version6.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Tellico Camper OP
Serving since lunch

Look forward in seeing you. I just got a call from that Full Throttle Mag is coming out to do an article on the facilities as well. Come on ADV riders lets get represented in some pics.LOL.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
I have to admit I am confused.

This seems to be a never ending saga with the Tellico OHV area.

I thought the latest was that it is indeed closed down now?
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Tellico Camper OP
Serving since lunch

Currently closed until a final decision is made. However, the FS wants perminant closure so they don't get sued by the Southern Environmental Law Center. The groups listed above have filed a Notice of Intent and are moving forward to trial. Way to much info to write. If you get a chance take a look at www.sfwda.org for more information about the Rescue Tellico situation. It's a huge public land use battle.
Don't be confused and accept your fate, get involved. This situation affects everyones rights to public lands.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
Tellico Camper OP
Serving since lunch

Unfortunately, this is a huge deal and fund raising in necessary to fight the fight. Tellico OHV just happens to be the line in the sand for motorized access to public lands. This is not a single park battle that just involves one place to ride. This is a National Park and the precedent being set on how to fund, manage, maintain and close areas are being formulated right under everyones noses. There is no difference between a Forest Service Gravel road and say your favorite FS single track when it comes to procedure. Once, they form the procedure the next time you head out on one of your adventure rides and encounter a gate blocking your passion this all becomes reality. The perception you deal with in regards to Tellico OHV is that it is a 4x4 park and if your not into that sort of thing then who cares. That place is used by Motorcycles, ATV's and 4x4's. The sad part is that all three of these groups are completely separated into their own categories and not united other through Blue Ribbon Coalition that most likely has only a very small overall percentage of actual members of each.
The environmental movement is well funded and organized. The majority believe that recreational motorized vehicle use should not be allowed on public lands.
I think someone should have a fund raiser every month in their region to support the effort to keep access to these places. I don't do the jeep thing, I ride bikes and on occasion an ATV. I have owed several street only bikes, but way more that are off pavement oriented. I have been riding for 23 years and have seen riding opportunities taken away all across the nation that are public and private, but not at the rate of speed as I do now.