Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #61
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanehussain
If I'm good on time I'd like to cross over to Newfoundland; in through Port Aux Basques and out through Argentia. Will play by ear... whats the chances of ferry reservations just 24 hours in advance? Is this generally a hassle, or less so on two wheels?
You might want to plan farther ahead for the Port aux Basques/No. Sydney ferry. The ferries fill up in the summer, and reservations are mandatory. The reservations can be canceled 48 hours before for a full refund, if you don't make it or what not. I would have reservations on/off of Newfoundland before I headed out.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #62
NJ650 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown

Hate to say it but...this post is useless without pictures and a ride report.

Vermont is some great riding! Planning a couple of rides over that way this year.
Didn't take many photos. Here are a few.

Don't really have much for a ride report that would be of any interest. Here are some notes:
Friday:
Left 45 minutes behind schedule (12:45). Went off-route. Hit traffic. Stopped for veggie lo-mein. Found a really cheap campground, $5!!!
Saturday: 696 Miles, 16:29:14, Avg Speed 42MPH,
On the road by 07:00. No bagel stores to be found. Had some donuts. Back on the planned route by 08:00. The Natural Turnpike, Lincoln Gap Rd, . Schoolhouse Rd is great. If only I can remember where the hell it is. Ben & Jerry's Tour. Not that impressed. Love the highways up here - practically empty! Pinkham B Rd in NH - Very Nice! Mt. Washington (Harley Heaven). Bee-line home on the super-slab. Quick stop for bad pizza in Battenkill along the way.

Can't wait to plan another trip to VT/NH where I will take more time to explore all the beautiful back roads!

Planning 2014 Gasp and 2014 COBDR
Fuck cancer!
NJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #63
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
I'm riding up to the Atlantic provinces in a couple of weeks, solo...

I'll be moteling it -- Rooms hard to come by in early July?

But in the final analysis a guide book and my daily interactions with people will dictate the route and things I see and do along the way. Just free wheeling it... pics, people, good riding, decent room to lay my helmet down for the night, good food and a couple of beers to end each night with -- Thats all I really need for an invigorating road trip.
Be aware July 1 is Canada's Birthday. Many Canadians take their "holiday's" in Nova Scotia in early July. There are many more campgrounds than motels in the Maritimes, so pack a tent just in case. You'll find motels near the more populated places, but B&B's may be a better option along your route.

You'll find many places to enjoy good food and a couple of beers at the end of the day in the Maritimes (and the local beers are very good), and people are very friendly so you'll meet lot's of people. NS has awesome maps at their Welcome Centers, stop and pick one up. Also, they'll call ahead and find camping/lodging for you which saved us once in the rain when we didn't want to ride around looking for a place!

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #64
insanehussain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
Slab it as much as you can towards NY/VT. This is a good day and a half ride from the Twin Cities. My theory is the stuff in between that's closer to you will be easier for you to return to on another road trip if there's something you missed.

At Albany, NY head into Vermont. From there, take your time on some scenic back roads. Don't be afraid of the dirt roads in VT. Some of them are graded so well you'll have to look close to see if it's pavement or not.
Thanks! Thats the general plan... slab it to NY and then hit New England back roads up to the Canadian border. Although, I might make a last minute turn for a night in Boston to visit some family.

I'll probably know this before the week is out but what are my options for crossing the border to New Brunswick. Are there multiple border posts or just one up there?
insanehussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #65
insanehussain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy
You might want to plan farther ahead for the Port aux Basques/No. Sydney ferry. The ferries fill up in the summer, and reservations are mandatory. The reservations can be canceled 48 hours before for a full refund, if you don't make it or what not. I would have reservations on/off of Newfoundland before I headed out.
Thanks for the heads up -- I'm going to have put some energy into the planning. I'm generally free wheeling it all the way up there so its tough to tell when precisely I'll want to cross -- And I've got a zillion other things to handle in the next week and a half just so I can get the time off. At the very least, I'll call the ferry service before I leave and take it from there...
insanehussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:39 AM   #66
geg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,048
Quote:
Thanks! Thats the general plan... slab it to NY and then hit New England back roads up to the Canadian border. Although, I might make a last minute turn for a night in Boston to visit some family.

I'll probably know this before the week is out but what are my options for crossing the border to New Brunswick. Are there multiple border posts or just one up there?
tons of places to cross from Maine into New Brunswick. I suppose crossing at Calais is the most common thing when headed to Nova Scotia. The other option would be Lubec to Campobello Island and then across on the ferry to Letete.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
geg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #67
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I am leaving for NS this thursday for an 11 day ride. Does it really get that busy during Canada day ? I plan on camping every night , but I cant make reservations because I dont know where I will be staying every night , just winging it.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #68
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
I am leaving for NS this thursday for an 11 day ride. Does it really get that busy during Canada day ? I plan on camping every night , but I cant make reservations because I dont know where I will be staying every night , just winging it.
Motels might be tough, but I don't think you'll have a problem finding space in campgrounds. Stop at the first info center in NS to pick up the excellent NS map, and they should have a list of campgrounds. Here's a website with quite a few listings that you may want to print out and take with you:
http://www.campsource.ca/ns/

You may want to call ahead to see if a reservation is advised at Meat Cove due to it's popularity and size (30 sites?). They also have a lodge there but I recall it only has a few rooms. Good food also, though we had to get there early before they ran out (that was in 2000).

We camped in Whycocomagh, Meat Cove, Mabou & Pugwash in August of 2000 without reservations, however that was nine years ago. Here is a link to our route then, though today I'd stay off the 102 and 104 and route through the Musquodoboit's instead:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...37253179pOLwWj

Enjoy!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #69
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Here's a map of my normal "quick" route thru Maine if I want to stay off I-95 without losing too much time. Specifically, Rt 202 from Augusta to Bangor is a good fast scenic road through rural Maine on a bike (hill, what hill, I didn't see no hill), and lightly traveled otherwise and skips that boring section of I-95. I've found the RV's and towed campers can be a pain on Rt 9, the "Airline" between Bangor and Calais, so I often take a bit more time and take Rt 2 Bangor to Lincoln on the east side of the Penobscot, Rt 6 Lincoln to Topsfield, and Rt 1 Topsfield to Calais. Rt 1 is usually pretty good too, once you get past the section between Bangor and Ellsworth and everyone headed to Acadia. Kittery to Augusta on I-95 is quicker than the southern section of Rt 202 on the map. Here's the map:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...37253179WMtaGe

Old 06-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #70
NJ650 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv
You may want to call ahead to see if a reservation is advised at Meat Cove due to it's popularity and size (30 sites?). They also have a lodge there but I recall it only has a few rooms. Good food also, though we had to get there early before they ran out (that was in 2000). .....

They don't take reservations.
Fuck cancer!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #71
geg
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ650
They don't take reservations.
get your beer / drinks before you arrive.. otherwise you'll go dry and have to hear about for ages afterwards....

Quote:
what do you mean the beer store is closed?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #72
Nan-Lo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Jesus! Could you warn someone about that photo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geg

Photobucket:
http://tinyurl.com/9cnj36
Nan-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #73
geg
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan-Lo
Jesus! Could you warn someone about that photo!!
hey at least it's not the swimming video from the gaspe trip......

Quote:
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #74
NJ650 OP
Studly Adventurer

Almost go time...

...less than a week until departure. I changed the oil & filter today and took my first stab at packing just about everything I need. Trying to travel very light. I want to make sure everything fits securely & actually fits into my bags now...don't want any last minute packing issues. New tires should arrive Monday and hopefully be on the bike by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Fuck cancer!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #75
IRONIVAR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
an adventure

have fun , and take alot of pictures for us stuck at home.
04 ktm 250 exc
08 polaris sportsman 550
01 honda xr 100 wifes
02 honda crf 50 with training wheels for joe b
08 KTM 50 son
08 polaris 50 (pink) daughter
1971 cb 450 cafe racer wannna b
IRONIVAR is offline   Reply With Quote