Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #1756
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,091
Not sure if it still is, but I always used Amoco Silver in my camping equipment. At one point it was the "purest" gasoline available and never clogged anything I used it in.
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #1757
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
My concerns are liquid and frozen precipitation on the Pacific Coastal range vs. the Western side of the Cascades vs. the Eastern side of the Cascades mid-Sept.
I think mid Sept-early Oct are great times to ride Central/Eastern OR. The daytime temps are down to 70's-low 80's (although it will often be 28-30 at night). The dust is less because of a little moisture. Yes, you can get snowed on above 4K but the higher passes should still be open. Of course the big secret along the OR coast is that Sept/Oct are the nicest months of the year as the weather calms down, less rain and still warm. I hope nobody roasts me for calling it an old term "Indian Summer" but that's how I think of those months on the coast. The vine maple start turning red in Sept in the mts. So either east side or west should be nice for you and LDF. WA is similar to OR in these respects as the Cascade Mts divided it too.

Thanks for the stove info. Very helpful.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #1758
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
I think mid Sept-early Oct are great times to ride Central/Eastern OR....So either east side or west should be nice for you and LDF. WA is similar to OR in these respects as the Cascade Mts divided it too.
schweeet. Very helpful. It was the same deal when we were planning / riding Nova Scotia, and Mobius II as well... Sept. has just been an all-around great month to ride (weather great, kids in school), but I think for Mobius 5 (Seattle-Anchorage),6 (Anchorage-Prudhoe-Anchorage), & 7 (Anchorage-Banif) [all tentative] we'll have to stick to the summer months
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #1759
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,794
Quote:
.....We discussed how if she was going to continue to run point on these trips, and consistently miss turns and have to backtrack.......

......do you have a plan worked out between yourselves if you should get separated from each other in the Abyss?

......like one stays put while the better navigator searches?....or both attempt to backtrack to a predetermined mileage?....or both press on to an upcoming landmark?

Hell......I lose my wife all the time at the Mall.....

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #1760
LusterBroil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Thumb

Best RR ever!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #1761
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965
Hell......I lose my wife all the time at the Mall.....
+1... or the grocery store.
malibu_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #1762
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Getting separated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965
......do you have a plan worked out between yourselves if you should get separated from each other in the Abyss?
Great question. Our first "oh shit, we're separated, now what " scare happened on our Nova Scotia trip back in '07. We've been fine-tuning our contingency planning since then. Interestingly, it was way easier to stick together in the Abyss of the desert than in the woods, or even the plains. The intercoms helped tremendously. In the valleys, we'd spread out to avoid dust, and I could just tell her "hey, turn coming up" or "where are you going, you missed a turn"

When the terrain got hillier, and the intercom and visual sight-lines got cut off, it was canyon or ridge-riding, and the wrong-turn options significantly diminished. In addition, we were riding much closer together, so we could assist in the event of a get-off, etc.

So our first layer of protection is to avoid getting separated in the first place. Any time there is a turn, or anything that looks like there might be an alternate way to go, the lead person visually confirms that the follower has navigated appropriately. In addition, every 2-10 minutes or so, depending on the terrain, we're making a visual check -- not so much for getting off track, but more for falls. She checks her rear view mirror and slows down, or I speed up 'till I catch sight of her, then back off again.

The next layer of prevention is the GPS routing. With point-to-point, the GPS will never auto-recalculate which can really be a problem if one person's GPS recalculates, and the other's doesn't, and then you're on two different roads. So anytime you can't see the other person for longer than is comfortable, first thing is to make sure that you yourself are on the route. If not, get yourself back onto it.

The intercoms are the next layer of safety, but by no means perfect. They require sight-lines more or less. As a layer of redundancy, we both carry rescue whistles, which supposedly can be heard over a mile away. Next, (at least I) would be able to make a signal fire, and finally, there's the Spot 911 button.

So say we're not in visual contact, and she's leading and makes a wrong turn, and doesn't even realize it was an intersection. Now, I pass by, and I make the correct turn. But I don't see her waiting for me to confirm that I've made the turn. I stop there. First step for both of us is to make sure we indeed are on the planned route.

One scenario is that she's actually made the turn, but didn't see that there was an alternate. This happened once. In that case, I guessed that she just didn't realize she should have waited to confirm I was following, and I raced ahead and in fact, caught her. Anyway, eventually, she would see that I was no longer behind her, and would double back and find me. Problem solved.

Let's say I gave up waiting, and maybe saw tire tracks going on the alternate non-route, and went looking for her in that direction. Our back-up is to return to the last place we stopped together. That's our meeting place. It's usually at most a couple of miles.

If one of us gets back to that meeting point, and we haven't seen the other, we would leave a note in an obvious place, tree, fence / gate, or cairn, and then slowly retrace the route in the forward direction. Now we're dealing with really a worst-case scenario which is that one of us has gone off-route, and crashed, or gotten stuck, and can't get back on the route. But at least we've narrowed ourselves to look for each other along the route between two points: last stop together, and first place the separation was noted.

This is where we'd be breaking the whistles out. Finally, we've got the Spot unit, which I'd hesitate to press, unless one of us was hurt, or in dire straights. I carry it on my bike, so that's gonna be my call if we're separated.

Yes, I can envision a scenario where multiple things go wrong in sequence, followed by poor judgement, and capped by some bad luck, and then we're really screwed. But hey, that's why these trips aren't a walk in the park.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #1763
KI6HNB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Where we finish up NV , and the Mobius 3 TAT sections, and then head south through the Sierra Nevadas towards Reno, finishing the day with an excruciating case of route constipation and obstruction, eventually relieved by miles and miles of back-tracking...

I'm a little fuzzy on the CA portion of the TAT. I receivced Sam's maps for the NV and OR portions and it doesn't look like there is any mention of CA.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #1764
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI6HNB
I'm a little fuzzy on the CA portion of the TAT. I receivced Sam's maps for the NV and OR portions and it doesn't look like there is any mention of CA.
Don't be fuzzy.

We're doing the TAT in sections. After NV, the TAT clips CA only for a few miles before heading into OR. Because we have to end each two week segment in a city big enough where we can get a flight back to NYC, we rode down the Sierra Nevada range in CA to Reno.
Nothing south of Fort Bidwell was part of the TAT.

That was pure Mobius.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #1765
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
CA section of TAT

I had the same question of the CA section of the TAT.

I asked Sam about it and his response was that it's covered in the tail end of NV and the start of OR.

The Nevada section gets you to Ft. Bidwell CA.

The Oregon section starts in Ft. Bidwell CA.

Problem solved!

Actually, the CA section is pretty nice.... county road degenerating to old RR grade up over a wooded mountain at 7700 feet. And the Dismal Swamp is a real place... you'll go by it!!!!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #1766
katoomryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Sweeeeeet!!

I finally caught up with this ADVENTURE!! it's taken me 2 weeks of stealing time at work. you two have definitely set the standard for ride reports.

thanks for sending the packing list a while back, it's given me some great ideas and a little shock at how much stuff is needed for a trip like this.

We're all really looking forward to Mobius IV
1995 250 EXC - Sold

katoomryder screwed with this post 06-24-2009 at 08:30 PM
katoomryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #1767
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
I've spent the last few hours fighting with myself about which leg of the journey I enjoyed reading most.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:08 AM   #1768
damoace
PinderBuilt

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanStreaker
I've spent the last few hours fighting with myself about which leg of the journey I enjoyed reading most.
Funny that, 'Cos I've spent the last few months fighting with myself over which leg I'd cut off to able to do that journey!

Jealous as heck, but enjoying every photo (we just dont have open spaces that large here)..

WWW.BMRIDER.COM
damoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #1769
[miko]
vicarious livin' nOOb

Oddometer: 12
Where for art thou Mobius IV?

I've been lurking for weeks, having caught up with you as you neared the end of Mobius III. After being able to digest post after post in one sitting I suddenly found myself waiting for updates with bated breath. And now I've got to wait months for the Mobius IV report. How will I cope?

But seriously, thank you for sharing this trip with us. At first I was completely smitten by the images - the terrain, the solitude - but after a bit I realized that the quality and health of your relationship was an even larger factor in my return viewings. It's a rare treat to see a couple under stress still be thoughtful and caring, no matter who has the knowledge or expertise. Thanks for letting us in to that private world. Can't wait for Mobius IV...

peace*mike
[miko] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #1770
Odd1out
Clutch killing yahoo!!

Oddometer: 193
+1 Truly inspiring all round.
Odd1out is offline   Reply With Quote