User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Pete
Yes if you check on thumper talk, there is advice to cut the tabs off the frame. I didn't and havn't had any problems. Yes you do have to relocate stock turn sigs on the front end. I went with the Acrbis hand guards with the turn sigs built into them.

Lewismedlock,
Is that the taxi driver bead seat your running there?
How well do rate them for long distance riding? With the bigger tank, I don't have to stop riding for about 200 miles before refuel and my ass would like
something between it and the seat.
I like the beads. They help a lot, but the seat is still a brick. The airflow through the beads makes a tremendous difference in butt comfort during long hot rides.

The beads were made for a pillion seat on a cruiser. I just took some measurements and ordered what I thought would work the best. If I remember correctly, they're 14 inches long and 10 inches wide.

In cooler weather, I use a Walmart ATV seat. It helps too, and it was less than 20 bucks.

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #17
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 619
Beads

Thanks on the bead update. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I always wondered about the taxi cab driver beads.
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #18
Gobear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Re: Larger Tank for XR650L

Thank you all for the great information!

cheers,

Gobear
Gobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
Ridin' to the River
IKE

Oddometer: 1
Fuel Tank

I have a 2009 XR650L and want the larger Acrebis Fuel tank. Anymore, even a short ride for me is at least 80 miles and long rides can be several hundred. The small tank is getting on my nerves, so I am in the market for a larger fuel tank. However, I am told that the Acerbis tank will only fit newer models with major modifications. In this case what does "major" mean? What year do you have and did you end up needing specialty parts? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Be the Duck...
Ridin' to the River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' to the River
I have a 2009 XR650L and want the larger Acrebis Fuel tank. Anymore, even a short ride for me is at least 80 miles and long rides can be several hundred. The small tank is getting on my nerves, so I am in the market for a larger fuel tank. However, I am told that the Acerbis tank will only fit newer models with major modifications. In this case what does "major" mean? What year do you have and did you end up needing specialty parts? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Be the Duck...
I don't see how, the XRL is unchanged since it came out, except BNG (bold new graphics).
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #21
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
I found 4 aftermarket options a year ago when I was shopping.
4.0 IMS
4.0 Clarke
4.7 Clarke
5.8 Acerbis

I went with the 4.7 Clarke. It was easy to install. I cut the music wire cross brace in half and connected each half to the original fake scoop brackets on the frame. Stock petcock fit right. I wish it had a locking cap sometimes.
The two Clarkes and the Acerbis were just under $200 back then from justgastanks.com.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #22
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,361
Quote:
The Acerbis doesn't require 'major mods' to anything - I think the most people have had to do is pry the lobes apart a bit to get it to slide down over components.

With two petcocks, you won't have to do the tip & slosh to make use of all the gas.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #23
brothermosley
Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer: 624
Thumb Clarke 4.7

with multiple drops on both sides of the bike, the clarke 4.7 has been working like a champ for me...cheap and easy to install.

i like that idea...of cutting the wire and using that to attach to the wing attach points. i'm gonna try that out. thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #24
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermosley
with multiple drops on both sides of the bike, the clarke 4.7 has been working like a champ for me...cheap and easy to install.

i like that idea...of cutting the wire and using that to attach to the wing attach points. i'm gonna try that out. thanks.
My Clarke 4.7 has withstood several big impacts without undue harm. It doesn't look as good as other tanks, but is well made.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #25
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
The Acerbis doesn't require 'major mods' to anything - I think the most people have had to do is pry the lobes apart a bit to get it to slide down over components.
Yep that's what I did. Leave the rubber bumpers on, and DON'T cut the pins. Some people raise the turn signals mounts up one hole and only use one bolt.

Walter
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #26
Majolo
Off Road King

Oddometer: 11
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock
I like the beads. They help a lot, but the seat is still a brick. The airflow through the beads makes a tremendous difference in butt comfort during long hot rides.

The beads were made for a pillion seat on a cruiser. I just took some measurements and ordered what I thought would work the best. If I remember correctly, they're 14 inches long and 10 inches wide.

In cooler weather, I use a Walmart ATV seat. It helps too, and it was less than 20 bucks.

Hi Guys,

I just got my self a '99 XR600R few moths ago and now have decided to do some changes to it in order to have more range for my trips.

I was very keen on getting the Acerbis 22L tank but every where i search for i bump into the Acerbis 22L XR650 tank and seeing that you guys have discussed about it before just wanted to check if this tank will fit my bike without needing to do any metal work on it.

The tank looks like the one you have on the bike but dont know if the mountings from the 99 xr 600 are the same with the xr 650 and if the seat will fit just fine.

I'll appreciate your comments.
Majolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #27
albee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
IMS
Acrebis
Clark

Any advise on which brand is better would be helpful.

I have the Clarke tank. The only issue with it is that fuel on the right side does not flow to the petcock at low levels. While this is not normally a big issue as you can put the bike on its side to move the gas - it was a problem for me once when loaded for touring (panniers, camping gear). The bike was heavy and I needed help to drop the bike without damage.
albee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #28
Majolo
Off Road King

Oddometer: 11
honda xr650 larger tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee
IMS
Acrebis
Clark

Any advise on which brand is better would be helpful.

I have the Clarke tank. The only issue with it is that fuel on the right side does not flow to the petcock at low levels. While this is not normally a big issue as you can put the bike on its side to move the gas - it was a problem for me once when loaded for touring (panniers, camping gear). The bike was heavy and I needed help to drop the bike without damage.
Hi Albee,

That what i was planing to avoid, a friend of mine have the same problem, its just a pain in ass.

But with the Acerbis you dont have the issue as they come with a petcock in each side of the tank.

But apparently Acerbis discontinued fabrication of those tanks for '99 xr600's.

Can tell you about IMS as i've never saw one in fact.
Majolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #29
Shakeyhands
Goober

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majolo
Hi Guys,

I just got my self a '99 XR600R few moths ago and now have decided to do some changes to it in order to have more range for my trips.

I was very keen on getting the Acerbis 22L tank but every where i search for i bump into the Acerbis 22L XR650 tank and seeing that you guys have discussed about it before just wanted to check if this tank will fit my bike without needing to do any metal work on it.

The tank looks like the one you have on the bike but dont know if the mountings from the 99 xr 600 are the same with the xr 650 and if the seat will fit just fine.

I'll appreciate your comments.
I've got the Acerbis on my 98... no problems whatsoever. Have had it on for about 8 years now, it's rock solid even through some major dumps.

KTM 990 ADV

Honda XR650L
Shakeyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #30
radar69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I like my 4.0 Clarke. Two fuel would be nice though.
radar69 is offline   Reply With Quote