Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2004, 05:00 AM   #1
Barry OP
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,117
Doma, Supertrapp, and FMF pipes for 640 Adventure ???

OK - I'm going to get a slip-on, open airbox, and rejet the 640. I can't find Creepers exhaust review and I'm not finding as much 640 Adventure slip-ons as I thought I would (or usually do when I search for stuff).

I thought FMF makes a pipe, not seeing that on their web page though...

So, price being roughly equal, anyone have comments/experience on the cannisters listed below ? I pasted descriptions for what they are worth. I am interested in hp and torque, not unreasonable noise, and USFS approved would be nice.

Doma

All Doma pipes are hand made and imported from Belgium where performance is more important than production volume. Doma Pipes Racers who use Doma include Greg Albertyn, Stefan Everts, Joel Smets and Grant Langston. Doma Pipes are available in Nickel Plated Finish or Factory Finish. For more information on our Doma Pipes call 701-223-4888.

Supertrapp

This is a great, lightweight, tuneable exhaust system that is also a USFS Approved Spark Arrestor. The SuperTrapp IDS2 muffler canister has an aluminum housing and stainless steel core. Quiet Core and Race Core versions are available. A stainless steel connector pipe is included. Like all SuperTrapp muffler canisters, the race-proven internal disc technology allows you to fine-tune the power and sound by adding or removing discs.

Thanks,
Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:06 AM   #2
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,343
you might have some issues with finding some of those slip-ons. as far as i know, there are no more IDS2 available for the lc4, i think they just stopped producing them. the doma pipes are high quaality but take forever to get and i have heard several people say that the fit isn't that great. the fmf is a mystery, i dont think that i have ever come across one for the lc4?

i got lucky and found an IDS2 for my lc4 eailer this spring and i love it!! it has the race core and really gives the bike some BARK!! not to loud that it's going to get you in trouble, but enough to turn heads if you gab a little throttle. it really makes the bike sound like the pure bread racing engine that it is. my buddy i ride with has a stock lc4 and everytime i fire up my bike you can see the jelousy in his eyes. he's always commenting on how much better my bike sounds!!! mean and nasty!! the other great thing is that the IDS2 is about 1/3 of the weight of the stock system, big difference!! the increase in power was noticable also, nothing crazy but still noticable. i allready had the airboxs opened and had modified my stock suppercrap so it wasn't as big an increase as if you just went from stock.

good luck on your quest,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:17 AM   #3
daotoys1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
FYI...I have a SUPERTRAPP FULL STAINLESS SYSTEM I took off my 2002 KTM LC4 640 ADVENTURER when it was new......its on EBAY right now...

After doing alot of R&D...including multiple systems including a few custom made items...I now have a FULL TI AKRAPOVIC on my bike....it does not have a spark arrester, and it is a bit load....but is ultra light weight, and give the absolute best performance gains that I could find...it is a bit $$$...but I tend to throw a lot of $$$ at my toys to get them just right for me and my tastes...

If you want a supertrapp...check out my ebay aution...its a full like new takeoff part.....
daotoys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Barry, here's Creeper's exhaust info thread. Our search function is still on the fritz a bit, but it's on Baldy's list of to-dos.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
Scoot Jockey
BST Faithful

Oddometer: 73
FMF Pipe

As far as USFS spark aproved silencers go, there really aren't a whole lot of options for the LC4. You could get a US spec SXC pipe from KTM, but I have heard that it isn't the longest lasting pipe around. The Supertrapp IDS2 could be a good option, but not if they have stopped making it. Akrapovics are great, and I really like the new slip on option the KTM is offering, but they haven't been approved by Smokey Bear. Personally I would like to see FMF produce one of their "Q" pipes for the LC4 like they have for the LC8. They are one of the few US based companies that would be able to do this, and do it right! A bit louder than stock would be fine, but nothing too extreme. I e-mailed them about three weeks ago to see if they have one in the works, but they didn't respond. Maybe if enough of us e-mail them, they will get the hint! Or, if there is enough talk about it in this thread, I could e-mail a link to them, to let them know that there is a market for these, if they produce them.

FMF website: www.fmfracing.com

FMF e-mail: sales@fmfracing.com

Regards,
Scoot Jockey
Scoot Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:04 AM   #6
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,249
IDS2 is still available according to a fella here who goes by AdventurePipe... Nice guy and can get you one if the eBay deal does not go your way. I like mine quite a bit. Check out the thread - it is quite useful!

M
Old 11-07-2004, 08:54 AM   #7
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by daotoys1
FYI...I have a SUPERTRAPP FULL STAINLESS SYSTEM I took off my 2002 KTM LC4 640 ADVENTURER when it was new......its on EBAY right now...

After doing alot of R&D...including multiple systems including a few custom made items...I now have a FULL TI AKRAPOVIC on my bike....it does not have a spark arrester, and it is a bit load....but is ultra light weight, and give the absolute best performance gains that I could find...it is a bit $$$...but I tend to throw a lot of $$$ at my toys to get them just right for me and my tastes...

If you want a supertrapp...check out my ebay aution...its a full like new takeoff part.....
Why would he want to replace his stock stainless Supertrapp with another stock stainless Supertrapp?

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:03 AM   #8
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,249
Frankly, that was my question as well...

M

PS - I am going to feel like a real idiot if dao gets 2 bills for it and I chunked mine in the trash!

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
Why would he want to replace his stock stainless Supertrapp with another stock stainless Supertrapp?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:20 AM   #9
daotoys1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Question

Im sorry you have taken my reply so badly....For all I know you have a damaged exhaust on the bike or an aftermarket item....maybe I missed something but I dont remember seeing pictures of the bike or you saying you have a stock system on it now.....you simply posted inquire about exhaust systems.....no offense intended....sorry about the misunderstanding....dont loose it so easily....I was/am not trying to scam or fuck you....I was trying to help....and I guess it has been taken wrong....chill.....
daotoys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:22 AM   #10
Barry OP
Just Beastly

Quote:
Originally Posted by daotoys1
Im sorry you have taken my reply so badly....For all I know you have a damaged exhaust on the bike or an aftermarket item....maybe I missed something but I dont remember seeing pictures of the bike or you saying you have a stock system on it now.....you simply posted inquire about exhaust systems.....no offense intended....sorry about the misunderstanding....dont loose it so easily....I was/am not trying to scam or fuck you....I was trying to help....and I guess it has been taken wrong....chill.....
Maybe I'm an idiot... but I know of nobody on this earth that replaces a stock system with a stock system, or an aftermarket system with a stock system.

Seems a little funny to me. Every stock system I've ever removed hit the trash can. If you can sell yours, but not to me, good for you.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #11
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
The thread that Arch provided a link to was the one on this forum, and although useful in some respects, requires lots of reading to get all the info. The more complete one, at least as much as could be obtained, on one single post is here.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=48519

As new bike sales of the LC4 in the US is semi-nonexistant at this time, I would not blame any maker for discontinuing, or avoiding the LC4 mufflers or systems.

Supertrapp still shows the IDS2 on their website, which is odd because I was told months ago that it was discontinued. They may still have it up as reference, or have changed their minds and decided to continue manufacturing it.
There may be several distributors and dealers that still have them in their inventories.

Supertrapp website
3 Inch IDS2 Slip-On Quiet Series $ 308.60 611-9600
3 Inch IDS2 Slip-On Racing Series $ 245.02 613-9600

Parts Unlimited still shows the "Race Series" in their '04 Dirt Catalog, and as the quiet cores are "common" and not specific to model, one could get a race core muffler kit and install a quiet core.

Parts Unlimited "04 Dirt Catalog, page 470
3 Inch IDS2 Slip-On Racing Series PU # 613-96002 @ $227.95

Although I use one, I'm not trying to endorse the IDS2. I'm fond of the tuneability feature not available on most other mufflers. There are mufflers and systems that will produce more peak HP and torque than the IDS2, that are lighter and in many cases, look way tricker... after all, it's only money.
But, if someone wanted a IDS2, I think they could find one with only a little bit of effort.
I would start by contacting 1.) Supertrapp 2.) on-line parts sellers 3.) your local dealer.

Creep
Old 11-07-2004, 12:29 PM   #12
Barry OP
Just Beastly

Ordered the IDS2 Race Series from below. Nice guy. Spoke with him on the phone. $240 + $10 shipping.

http://adventure-motorcycle.com/index.html

Old 11-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #13
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Ordered the IDS2 Race Series from below. Nice guy. Spoke with him on the phone. $240 + $10 shipping.

http://adventure-motorcycle.com/index.html
Fair pricing. Have fun!
Old 11-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #14
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Maybe I'm an idiot...

Barry
Old 11-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #15
creeper
Still alive...

I'm going for a ride to the power lines... peace out.