Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
RockyNH OP
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Trans Lab Express!

Thursday June 25th, me and Yigal departed from Merrimack NH to Run the Trans Labrador Highway, a remote gravel road that spans Labrador from West to East across the remote province. I on my F650GS and he will be on a 1200GS Adventure.

SPOT tracking was activated Thursday morning and we planned to Depart from my work in Merrimack at approx. noon. You can see the SPOT tracking followup at this link...

http://jasonjonas.org/spot/tripViewer.do?id=1434

We planned to return on Sunday the 5th of July. Its a 3500 mile loop with over 1000 miles of unpaved roads. I was especially looking forward to Day 9 where we will encounter and explore some of the Newfoundland T'railway and coastal trails on our way south.

Day 1 Troi Riviere Quebec (motel) (thu)
Day 2 Begin traveling north on QB 389 No Cells, no towns - Camp at Manic 2 Dam (Fri)
Day 3 Continue up 389, visit the Manic 5 dam and proceed up north further, hoping to camp North of Gagnon Ghost Town (Sat)
Day 4 Get on Rte 500, Trans Lab Highway... Stop in Labrador City for any supplies, Continue to Churchill Falls to camp (Sun)
Day 5 Final leg of the Trans Lab to GooseBay. Get a room and clean up (Monday)
Day 6 Day of rest.. maint on bikes... explore a little as we board the Ferry at 3 for a 5pm Depart Tues, sleep on Ferry
Day 7 Exit Ferry in Cartwright run highway 510 (Gravel) down to Red bay, then Blanc Sablon... Ferry to Newfoundland (Camp) (Wed)
Day 8 Head north to Lanse Aux Meadows, old Viking Settlement, then back south to Gros Morne Nat Park (Camp) Thursday
Day 9 Leave Gros Morne for Deer Lake... we will be looking up and old abandoned rail trail and some other coastal trails on our way to Port Aux Basques... Plan is to catch a Late night Ferry to Nova Scotia
Day 10 Riding pavement ... through Nova Scotia to New Brunswick (Motel) Saturday
Day 11 NB, into Maine and Home to NH early evening Sunday

This is the most extensive trip I have attempted, especially on my DS to a remote area.. I have been planning to do this for almost a year and it is almost here!! Excited and nervous at the same time, I am all packed and ready to roll

That was the plan... and our excitement was building as the day drew near..

Pat in NH
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote