User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Bike4Fun OP
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,640
F800GS – BestRest Headlight Guard

So I just installed the BestRest headlight guard on my F800GS. There are basically two types of headlight guards 1) metal mesh guard or 2) solid plexiglas guard. The BestRest guard is plexiglas.

So I’ve heard the debate that the mesh guard will protect the light from 85% (choose your % or size) of rocks. Basically, the rock that is going to break the headlight lens is going to be bigger than the small squares of the metal mesh guard. The metal mesh guard will withstand a greater impact than a plexiglas shield. Believe me I’ve looked high and low to determine exactly what I want to do. I even went as far as getting a vinyl stick on sheet to see what that was about. Of course, once I saw it and the fact that “they” don’t recommend on applying it to a lens smaller than 5 inches, based on the heat it will insulate therefore resulting in a cracked lens, made me decide against that. Plus anything larger than a 2 inch rock and the vinyl sheet will probably crumple along with the glass lens.

I live in Colorado, The Rocky Mountains! They are called the rocky mountains for a reason. In the summer when I’m riding down a fire road or abandoned mine road I will encounter rocks from pebbles to baby heads! In the off season I will experience a mix of sand/gravel on the road that will eat anything in its way! No metal mesh grill is going to stop the miniscule pebbles in sand. No it won’t break your lens; it will produce small pits and reduce the quality of the glass, which will eventually lead to that inevitable break or the quality of light. Most people that drive to the mountains on a weekly basis (week ends) to go skiing will replace their car windshield every two years because the “pits” in the glass are so bad! Hmmm, do I replace the OEM glass or take the risk of having that X small piece of rock make it through a metal mesh guard or let the off season sand/gravel slowly carve the OEM glass with its own art work?

Well that seems to be a pretty easy decision, let a plexiglas guard take the brunt of the damage. If the large rock happens along and makes it go crack, you replace the plexiglas piece; replace the pitted plexiglas once the quality diminishes because of the sand/gravel.
Plus, I really like the clean look of the plexiglas! Can you see it?

The mounting hardware comes as polished aluminum (sorry no pics); however I wanted it to blend in more with the black of the overall bike. I have been experimenting with what would work the best and have settled on Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating! http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckbed.html

The other thing I really like about this application is that it comes with a light reflector. I don’t recall any other company offering a plexiglas screen with a protector all inclusive! Just install the rubber light reflector piece and viola no problem having any light refraction back into your face. You can also see it very well in the above image.

Installation was so easy! Instructions were very clear and extensive. I pretty much just followed the pictures and put everything together. There is also text for the mechanically challenged. There is no way you can mess this up! Put two pieces of mounting hardware together with two bolts, washers, vinyl spacers and locking nuts to create the one piece mounting platform. Unscrew the single bolt on each side holding the headlight and screw back in. Don’t forget the thread locker. I had to do this anyways so I was able to kill two birds in one stone. Mount the clevis pin with the necessary washer, rubber grommets (3) and cotter pin! Yes, a cotter pin is all you need and believe me there is plenty of pressure on the pin for it to stay in place. You can not even see the pin hole when simply holding the plexiglas shield on to the mounting brackets. It takes some effort to push the clevis pin through to be able to see the cotter pin holes. Simple, Effective, SECURE!!!

Assembly and mounting time, 15 minutes max and that is with the obligatory 60 second breaks to ingest the necessary libation to ensure cognitive thinking power! For me and my situation I really like this headlight guard. It provides far better protection of my glass lens than a metal mesh grill and IMO looks far better, cleaner!

Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
very nice headlamp guard.
i kinda regret buying the hepco headlamp grill.. one of the worst farkles i've done..
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Bike4Fun OP
Smooth IS Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han
very nice headlamp guard.
i kinda regret buying the hepco headlamp grill.. one of the worst farkles i've done..
Really?! That was probably the main mesh guard I was looking at. I just really liked the clean finished look of the plexiglas guard and BestRest seem to have the best solution. Pricey, ($95) yeah but compared to the mesh guards not that much more and I was willing to pay for the look that I liked!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
If i though that hard about a headlight guard my head would explode.

Nice looking headlight guard though, i couldn't spend too much so i got a second hand mesh one. I havn't really taken a likeing to it but it works well, anything big enough to get through the mesh is only going to leave a scratch which im not worried by in theleast.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
There's a parallel posting on F800riders but I have the Hepco wire grill which looks absolutely awesome. The downside is the wire mesh creates some funky shadow patterns and definitely diminishes the beam and output. BUT, it looks cool as $hit!

The clear acrylic one from Hyde Racing that wraps around the bezel looks pretty nice and there is a photo of it at night from the rider's POV.

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...t=29634&page=2

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
I have a mesh one now because every time I have used a plexi-glass one off-road its rained and shit builds up between the lens and the plexiglass and honestly, my dick throws a brighter light!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
... honestly, my dick throws a brighter light!!
Perhaps, but does it always come on when you need it and stay on for the whole ride?

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
F15 Freak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
F15 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Very nice write up and some good replies. Lots to think about. Quick question what hand guards are those??
GeckoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Bike4Fun OP
Smooth IS Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider
Very nice write up and some good replies. Lots to think about. Quick question what hand guards are those??
Highway Dirt Bikes
http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Bike4Fun OP
Smooth IS Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
I have a mesh one now because every time I have used a plexi-glass one off-road its rained and shit builds up between the lens and the plexiglass and honestly, my dick throws a brighter light!!
So how do you clean behind the mesh grill? Granted there is nothing to clean on the grill but road grime will build up on the lens. If it gets bad, I remove 4 cotter pins clean the plexiglas and put it back on, oooh that took 5 minutes!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
So how do you clean behind the mesh grill? Granted there is nothing to clean on the grill but road grime will build up on the lens. If it gets bad, I remove 4 cotter pins clean the plexiglas and put it back on, oooh that took 5 minutes!
I have the Touratech mesh protector, and I have no problems cleaning the headlight. Nor do I have to remove anything at all. My fat hand (inside a fleece mitt, no less) easily fits between the mesh and the lens. 5 minutes? Try 10 secs!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Bike4Fun OP
Smooth IS Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I have the Touratech mesh protector, and I have no problems cleaning the headlight. Nor do I have to remove anything at all. My fat hand (inside a fleece mitt, no less) easily fits between the mesh and the lens. 5 minutes? Try 10 secs!

David
I just don't like that look!

Therefore, I have no problem, IF, I have to remove the pexiglas. I just put it on so I don't know. I'm sure a fleece mitt will fit just about the same. I'm not one that is not going to wash my bike cause it will take me a whole extra 5 minutes! I know some people are just lazy or whatever but I have no problem spending an hour washing and detailing my bike. Yes, just so it can go get dirty again!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
everywherevirtually
In Omnibus Caritas

Oddometer: 186
I've ridden 30,000 miles without a protector in all kinds of terrains and not once has a stone or rock hit the glass. Short of a rock fall I'm not sure how a rock could hit the headlight above the beak. I'd expect rocks and stones to get thrown up into the radiator and bash plate behind the wheel but as 30K of miles has shown me the biggest threat to my headlight is the HID that is burning all the alu coating off the lens.

I just wonder if half of these lens protectors are more for effect than function. I would think a greater danger zone for a cracked anything is in the fast lane of the freeway/motorway/autobahn. I've had two cracked car windscreens from stones being thrown over from the traffic flowing in the opposite direction.

Just my 2c worth.
everywherevirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
davidpetersen
BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Thanks for the thoughtful writeup on the LightGuard.

Ever priced a replacement headlight lens on an R12GS or an F800GS? $400 and change. Ouch.

On my own bikes (2-R12GS, 1-F8GS) I've had to replace 2 plexiglass shields due to rock strikes, with 1 more shield pending (see below). Yes, rocks somehow manage to make it up above the beak. And it's not always a result of another vehicle, sometimes the front wheel spits out a chunk of rock that bounces back into headlight. Been there, done that.

Here'a a photo of the plexi LightGuard that's on my F8GS, waiting for a replacement. It was hit with a pea-sized bit o'gravel on a backroad on the Continental Divide. Without the plexi shield the edge of the headlight would've been damaged.

What Bike4Fun said about using locktite on the 8mm screws that hold the brackets to the headlight is important.

I'd been taking photos of the brackets for the instruction sheet and I forgot to put loctite on the screws. On a lonely trail near Butte, MT I heard a clanging noise.... both screws had come out and the headlight was dangling by the wires. I ziptied the headlight in place, backtracked a few miles and found one screw. I had to find a hardware store to replace the other one. Lesson learned.

Whatever type or brand of headlight protector strikes your fancy, that money is well spent.
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

http://www.bestrestproducts.com

davidpetersen screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 12:13 PM
davidpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote