Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #46
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
It would be a shame to let this thread die.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:12 AM   #47
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Creep - you've been awfully quite the last couple of days. You started this great thread, now lets get some input.
I think we might have scared him off at the start. He seemed a little peeved that we were jokin around (I hope not). Hopefully he will get too dang interested and come take a look. If not we should send him a group PM apology and ask him to come back.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #48
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Well, this is off to a good start.

Tell ya' what... Lets just let this one die on it's own, as I never intended it to be the JM of KTMdoom. It was intended to be a "one stop shop" for KTM single guys to hang out and talk.
If it's already going in the same direction as the first one, then just let this thing die now.

Chris
Creep, was it something I said to make you feel this way? If so, I'm very sorry. Please come back and we'll have some fun.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
Old 11-15-2004, 07:26 PM   #49
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
My cooling system's working just fine, but I've seen this Evans stuff mentioned enough to wanna try it anyway. Improved cooling and reliability out in the desert mountains sounds like a nice prospect. Hell, I might even try it my truck. It doesn't overheat, but I tossed a blower onto it and localized hot spots cause occasional preignition when they're set up this way.

Rapiti, if you decide to go this route, please keep us posted with a new thread specific to Evans (for easy searching).
Arch, I ordered a gallon each of the Evans coolant and prep mix. Both of our cars have something-glycol coolant, not sure if its polypropylene glycol like the Evans stuff (VW Passat & Yukon XL.) I'd be surprised if yours doesn't have someting similar. You need the Sunoco 113 (or whatever that high octane stuff is rated!)

I need to sort out my idjut light problem before I dump this stuff in, but I'll keep you posted.

One more for Arch: In your experience with Houston dealers, are LC4 parts order-in, or does Wild West, for example, maintain a parts inventory? TJs has some stuff, but they're not local. I need a clutch cover gasket before this roller bearing swap.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #50
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusieRob
Hmmm... A lota of money for a lota bike
Don't know anything about the paint other than its the best paint scheme that has ever been or ever will be on a Adv... Hey Paolo
Yeah, orange & blue ARE complementary colors, after all I agree on the best ever. The metallic blue and the GO!!!!! are ok from a distance, but these are dirt bikes.

I peeled my original tank decal off, in anticipation of repainting the tank & mask over a year ago... I even ordered a new decal set, but haven't found the paint code stateside, so we work on other things!

I prefer a number of things on our 'old' bikes to the new. Have you done anything with your forks? I am looking in to stiffer springs for the WP50mms. Too much sag loaded up with a full tank. Not the easiest thing to find, apparently. Hey Rob
Old 11-16-2004, 08:43 AM   #51
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
...One more for Arch: In your experience with Houston dealers, are LC4 parts order-in, or does Wild West, for example, maintain a parts inventory? TJs has some stuff, but they're not local. I need a clutch cover gasket before this roller bearing swap.
Depends on the part. Most of my KTM parts buys have been accessories 'cause it's mostly a weekend toy and hasn't needed much of anything replaced, but everything I have ordered has arrived in no time. They're adding bits and pieces to their KTM stock as deemed fit and the place is a great old-style-hang-out shop. They're all great friends, so call and ask for Bob if that's the route you choose. Oh, and their KTM mechanic, Greg, is tops.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:39 AM   #52
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Has anyone stiffened the front suspension on their LC4? My 01 is just too soft for jumping and is pretty easy to bottom out. I've caught and broken the front fender twice and that was on dual sport rides not on a track. I'm interested in possibly changing springs and experimenting with oil levels and viscosities and I was hoping someone has already done this and can save me some R&D time.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
Old 11-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #53
Jeff620RXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Has anyone stiffened the front suspension on their LC4? My 01 is just too soft for jumping and is pretty easy to bottom out. I've caught and broken the front fender twice and that was on dual sport rides not on a track. I'm interested in possibly changing springs and experimenting with oil levels and viscosities and I was hoping someone has already done this and can save me some R&D time.
Mine was redone by Dick's Racing: http://www.dicksracing.com/index2.html
Excellent results. I am 6'5", 265 and I haven't bottom'd out.
Jeff620RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:03 PM   #54
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Thought I would share some good news. My 4th P.T. visit showed some real progress, Eric, my P.T. guy seems to be quickly figuring out what works on me, and what does not, (and, yes, there are three P.Y.P.T.'s as well, I often lose track of which set I am on, and the drooling can be embarrasing.)

My limp is almost banished, and I should be able to start getting myself back in shape pretty soon. I am finally able to ride the ADV, though it will be a while before I am up too riding in an aggresive fashion, as the demons in my head still need to be excercised. Still walking without crutches or a cane is pure joy, I am one happy camper!
Old 11-20-2004, 05:08 PM   #55
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Thought I would share some good news. My 4th P.T. visit showed some real progress, Eric, my P.T. guy seems to be quickly figuring out what works on me, and what does not, (and, yes, there are three P.Y.P.T.'s as well, I often lose track of which set I am on, and the drooling can be embarrasing.)

My limp is almost banished, and I should be able to start getting myself back in shape pretty soon. I am finally able to ride the ADV, though it will be a while before I am up too riding in an aggresive fashion, as the demons in my head still need to be excercised. Still walking without crutches or a cane is pure joy, I am one happy camper!
Know the feeling. Just riding around the neighborhood is an absolute thrill, ain't it Mack.

Back in the late '70s, I actually borrowed a guys Honda 750 and rode it around a big parking lot while I still had casts on my arm and leg. Stupid for sure... but what a rush!!!

Good to hear your getting there...
Old 11-20-2004, 05:15 PM   #56
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Had mine done here in Sac as well at NorCal - what a difference! I am not jumping, but I am 230#... HUGE difference - had the rear tweaked as well.

M

Quote:
Old 11-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #57
Jeff620RXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack

Hey Mack, doesn't P.T. stand for Pain & Torture?
Jeff620RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:45 PM   #58
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Back in the late '70s, I actually borrowed a guys Honda 750 and rode it around a big parking lot while I still had casts on my arm and leg.
1st, Mack - glad yer getting better.

Creep - in the late 70's I had a KX125. I broke my left arm (both the radius and the ulna) starting it up after refreshing the top end. It kicked back and broke my arm. Bones stuck through skin. Sucked.

Three weeks later, the doc put on a fiberglass cast, and I was riding the bike again that day. It was eight weeks before they took the thing off.

Much easier with a bum wing than a bad hoof, IMO.

Here's to ya, Mack.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:52 PM   #59
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
It kicked back and broke my arm.
I can't even begin to imagine how you could do that... unless of course you were trying to start it with your hand. Don't laugh, I used to show off how good I could tune a Shovelhead by kick starting it with my hand.

I was a lot dumber back then than I am now.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:15 PM   #60
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Bearing Swap

Anybody done the mainshaft bearing swap on one of these things? I just completed it Friday after messing with it a little every night since last Sunday. It finally required pulling out sections of the bearing cage so I could make stouter hooks, then heating up the case, then several shots with a 10 pound slide hammer. The PVC pipe puller did not work.

Getting that bearing out was a major bitch.

On the upside, there is less bottom end noise, but I'm still gonna line the skidplate.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote