ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2004, 04:29 PM   #46
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
From Seneca Rocks, follow Rt 33 East toward Harrisonburg, VA. After crossing in to Virginia, take a left on Rt 3, North toward Moorefield, WV. There are two great roads that cross the GW Forest and come out along Rt 259.

The first is 87, Rough Run Rd. Appropriately named, it has a mixture of rutted dirt, gravel, switch backs which are perpetually lubricated by small springs and a few foot-deep streams to ford. Somewhere in the middle, the trees open up for a spectacular view of the valley.

The next is 31, Camp Run Rd., slightly less challenging, except for a few more water hazards to cross. There is a man made lake on the West end of the road. Getting back to civilization is on the East end is a little more complicated, as the local roads are laid out according to the landscape, rather than logical directions.

There is one more that deserves mention for street riders. Further North toward Moorefield is 12, Howards Lick Rd. It covers the same kind of terrain, but is paved. On the East end of this, it goes through Lost River State Park. I rode this one on my DL650 and had a BLAST!

I have not ridden the first two since my KLX400 was stolen . I am not sure how the Weestrom will handle the water, so I will wait until I am more familiar with the bike, or have someone along for potential maritime salvage operations.

Anyone interested? I spend most weekends poking around the roads in that area, but there is still a lot of ground I have not covered.

Stromski screwed with this post 11-18-2004 at 04:52 PM
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:18 PM   #47
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromski
From Seneca Rocks, follow Rt 33 East toward Harrisonburg, VA. After crossing in to Virginia, take a left on Rt 3, North toward Moorefield, WV. There are two great roads that cross the GW Forest and come out along Rt 259.

The first is 87, Rough Run Rd. Appropriately named, it has a mixture of rutted dirt, gravel, switch backs which are perpetually lubricated by small springs and a few foot-deep streams to ford. Somewhere in the middle, the trees open up for a spectacular view of the valley.

The next is 31, Camp Run Rd., slightly less challenging, except for a few more water hazards to cross. There is a man made lake on the West end of the road. Getting back to civilization is on the East end is a little more complicated, as the local roads are laid out according to the landscape, rather than logical directions.

There is one more that deserves mention for street riders. Further North toward Moorefield is 12, Howards Lick Rd. It covers the same kind of terrain, but is paved. On the East end of this, it goes through Lost River State Park. I rode this one on my DL650 and had a BLAST!

I have not ridden the first two since my KLX400 was stolen . I am not sure how the Weestrom will handle the water, so I will wait until I am more familiar with the bike, or have someone along for potential maritime salvage operations.

Anyone interested? I spend most weekends poking around the roads in that area, but there is still a lot of ground I have not covered.
I'm interested in getting my 640 ADV out there. Skyline Keith is probably down for the dirt/gravel/water crossings.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:53 PM   #48
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
I'm interested in getting my 640 ADV out there. Skyline Keith is probably down for the dirt/gravel/water crossings.

Barry
In! Just say when.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:12 AM   #49
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,237
I'm out this weekend. Installing the IDS2 pipe on Saturday, and if I can get er done, the air jet and main jet too. Opening the airbox further will take no time.

Riding the Pits in Laurel MD with Squiggy Sunday.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote