Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #3841
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Hi ray yep original c/s over here is 83 bucks, after market is 38 bucks and not as thick where it fits on the spline so not as good as original but does the job

robmoto screwed with this post 07-31-2009 at 03:10 PM
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #3842
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapo
Is this yellow colour original? Looks very nice and very Suzuki, don't change it, never

Btw, knees and legs are easy to hurt with heavy bike. It took me quite a while to learn not to use legs as a support when riding 750 after 350 bike on gravelroads and offroad. No I can finally ride gravel road corners with feet on the footpegs, well not every time At least my legs are just not strong enough when 200kgs something fells down

-aapo
Not wanting to be desentious but I dont completrly agree with the feet up comments as I have been saved from many crashes by using my feet and the old Harley flat trachers would not agree , once you master the art of correct leg position you can use them at speeds of up to 120kph ( american halve milers have their feet down sometimes at speeds aproach 160kph ( 100mph) out of interest I practise this by occasionally when normally putting my foot on ground to measure where it is and to build up a instinctive feeling for when Im really hustling
Wasnt saying all that to be smart but one day it may save you from crashing

Most have seen these pics before but I couldnt do this safely foot up
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 PM   #3843
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Not wanting to be desentious but I dont completrly agree with the feet up comments as I have been saved from many crashes by using my feet and the old Harley flat trachers would not agree , once you master the art of correct leg position you can use them at speeds of up to 120kph ( american halve milers have their feet down sometimes at speeds aproach 160kph ( 100mph) out of interest I practise this by occasionally when normally putting my foot on ground to measure where it is and to build up a instinctive feeling for when Im really hustling
Wasnt saying all that to be smart but one day it may save you from crashing

Most have seen these pics before but I couldnt do this safely foot up
Sorry 800rider, but I have to disagree. Please people, don't think I'm being a smart arse here. I am writing from experience and feel I must respond. I raced speedway for many years and spoke to many riders, including world champions on this very point, one being New Zealander, Ivan Mauger, considered the greatest rider ever with 6 short and 3 long track world titles to his name You watch the speedway riders closely today and they put their foot out maybe to touch the track, by the time they're half way through that corner their foot is resting on the front peg. The foot down is all about balance and as Ron Johnson (one of the all time greats of the '40,s and '50,s) once told me, "When the bike starts to go down at these speeds then your leg will be of no help whatsoever." With years of racing experience I can honestly say that my leg, as a third point on the track never saved me from a fall but was helpful as a balancing aid. Ron always rode with his foot on the peg and he was referring to Claremont Speedway, the longest short track in the southern hemisphere at the time with speeds of 80mph (130kph). Another example is road racing where they use their knee slider as a guide to angle, yet even with that slider touching the black once that rear end goes they can't pick it up. Though I admit there have been an occasional freakish save.
In conclusion, putting your foot down is an instinctive reaction and totally understandable. But that's all it is. appo, you keep your legs where you feel most comfortable.
Cheers.

ausibatla screwed with this post 07-31-2009 at 10:34 PM
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #3844
MCmad OP
Banned

I think this is interesting and in no way an arguement, yes it is true that the foot is used for Ballance , I am from an offroad back ground and always us it this way , you can also ballance with your body foot up but it is easier to us your foot , there is a Vidio of Stefan Everts beating a Rally car inthe Rain and his foot skims the ground for a lot of the time

At slow speed your foot or your Knee can and will save you I have saved 2 recent near crashes myself recently as it acts as a trainer wheel or a triangle Brace and a recent ride had an ex NZ superbike friend of mine pick his bike up on his knee in a two wheel drift at over 100kph and there many vidios that show this very thing

I would agree that at higher speeds that is not so likely but at lower speeds definatly yes
you use your foot coming in ( for ballance and rear tire triangle load as well as the fact that you are forcing the bike down ) but once you are stable and driving out you can put you foot back up as the centrafuge of the bike holds it on line and you lean forward to reduce drag etc

I can as with most Motard riders usually carve under most road riders coming in to a tight turn this way that is why motards give Sports Bikes fits in tight going but loose out as speeds increase and corners open up ( mainly due to lower power though)

Having said that if your not comfortable with that , cool keep your feet up

Check out the vidios in the post below if for nothing more than entertainment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-IAyfPwplw&feature=fvw Modern speedway

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/circuits-of-gold-1987 Ivan Maugers

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...56&postcount=6 Vintage flat tracking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVjl3...layer_embedded mile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijacjrglVNo 1/2 mile

MCmad screwed with this post 08-03-2009 at 01:49 AM
Old 08-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #3845
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
I think this is interesting and in no way an arguement, yes it is true that the foot is used for Ballance , I am from an offroad back ground and always us it this way , you can also ballance with your body foot up but it is easier to us your foot , there is a Vidio of Stefan Everts beating a Rally car inthe Rain and his foot skims the ground for a lot of the time

At slow speed your foot or your Knee can and will save you I have saved 2 recent near crashes myself recently as it acts as a trainer wheel or a triangle Brace and a recent ride had an ex NZ superbike friend of mine pick his bike up on his knee in a two wheel drift at over 100kph and there many vidios that show this very thing

I would agree that at higher speeds that is not so likely but at lower speeds definatly yes
you use your foot coming in ( for ballance and rear tire triangle load as well as the fact that you are forcing the bike down ) but once you are stable and driving out you can put you foot back up as the centrafuge of the bike holds it on line and you lean forward to reduce drag etc

I can as with most Motard riders usually carve under most road riders coming in to a tight turn this way that is why motards give Sports Bikes fits in tight going but loose out as speeds increase and corners open up ( mainly due to lower power though)

Having said that if your not comfortable with that , cool keep your feet up

Check out the vidios in the post below if for nothing more than entertainment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-IAyfPwplw&feature=fvw

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...56&postcount=6

Note that the first 3 riders do not have their foot on the ground. But hey, if you believe that leg will keep you upright, that's OK too.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #3846
MCmad OP
Banned

Ausi perhaps we misunderstand each other I was not suggesting that you are holding the bike up on your foot ( except perhaps in emergency) but saying that using your foot as per the pictures and vidios is a benificial riding aid the gains in front end confidence are massive with your foot out coming into a corner like this ( some of that is to do with the full outside peg weighting and some to do with the forward leg wieght) , and I dont think any of those guys would make that corner with there feet on the pegs as they would loose the front end

And since Drs are upright in riding position this could be a usefull riding aid once mastered

Did you like the vidios ??

MCmad screwed with this post 08-01-2009 at 02:26 AM
Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #3847
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

AIR box

Hi everyone, 800 that U tube video is just awesome and I watched some other ones as well did you see the the one with a drag bike and the rider cops a piston in the chest.

OK today I did a rub down and repaint of the plastic sump guard and fitted it back up with new rubbers and steel insert washers this took up most of the day to make it smick.

After doing that I decided to play a bit more with the tuning side of things as was wondering about this unstable air stuff has anyone with a 750 because it is a 750 air box I am using ever run there bike without it and ever noticed a increse in power or a decrese in power I would like to know as this may save me a bit of time .thanks
some pics to follow in 15 minutes.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:42 AM   #3848
MCmad OP
Banned

I just keep watching the the flat track one how fast are they going man ,

Heres the piston one I think the guy got a bit of a fright aye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB-Yw...layer_embedded

and this one gives the mile speeds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVjl3...layer_embedded

MCmad screwed with this post 08-01-2009 at 04:10 AM
Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #3849
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Sump guard repaint

Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #3850
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

and again

Old 08-01-2009, 04:29 AM   #3851
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Moded air cleaner

Old 08-01-2009, 04:41 AM   #3852
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Ok I will have a looky see.

Does any one know why the engine breather tube is seeled at the end as this to me seems pointless I have not put it back on yet as the last pic shows thanks in advance.

this is not bike related but is just best go to ken block raceing and click on gymkana and don,t worry about my spelling i know its crap ?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #3853
MCmad OP
Banned

Nice

PS, Spelling is over rated be comfortable with yourself where all men here who work with tools and oil not sisy teachers or nothing
Old 08-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #3854
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
The foot-out debate is interesting, but not entirely relevant to me as I had a 29" inside-leg

robmoto; stunning pics mate
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:43 AM   #3855
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
that's a great job robmoto!
let me know how that airfilter works for ya