Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #1771
hitmike
sucio debutante

Oddometer: 305
Great report Doc and LDF. Really enjoyed it and am looking forward to part IV.

Mike
03 450 EXC
hitmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #1772
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,346
hey doc, great report. you partner deserves a lot of credit. i am sure there are plenty of dual sport riders that are very envious. i sure wish i could do what you are doing. are you coming down to the pb300? no sand or whoops this year..
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #1773
jpdude999
Rider on the Strom

Oddometer: 430
Thumb Finally caught up!!

Wow! Echo all the comments about the RR! +10!

Now I'm caught in the middle of mixed emotions. I REALLY want to do this with my wife, BUT..... I don't want to do a ride report, cuz it'll suck compared to this one!

PS: Thanks for the spreadsheet Doc, it will make my life WAAAAYY easier!
VSRI #17387

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson
jpdude999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #1774
GOT DIRT?
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Great RR, Richbebe told me about when I was trying to catch my breath on the turkey run. Great meeting you both,this past weekend. Ride safe.

AMA, BTR, AND NETRA MEMBER
GOT DIRT? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #1775
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Update???

Hey Doc (or LDF),

Isn't it about time to give an update on your prep process? Do you have your routes done, reservations made, etc?

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #1776
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Updates

'bout 5 weeks from departure. It's been a busy, wet summer here in the big city.

Gear-wise, we're pretty well set. I anticipate we'll be camping more than ever. We'll be sleeping on the new thermarest Neo-air mattresses. They are heavenly. LDF's Andy Strapz pannierz arrived from Austrailia, and I picked up a couple of just-the-right sized duffels for the airplane, that fold down into themselves for easy packing on the bikes -- so no more cheap chinese immigrant valise.

Tech-wise, we'll be sporting the Scala Q2's again. I have bought and will bring a third pod and headset as a spare in case we have any trouble. It's kind of an extravagance to buy a whole unit just to have as a spare, but it's truly worth it. Whenever anyone asks about what to pack, I always say to think through each item, and imagine how difficult it would be to repair or replace on the trail, and how miserable you'd be if it stopped working. The Scalas make us pretty happy, and they're not easy to repair/replace on the trail as we found out on M-3.

I'll be shooting some video along the way with a VHoldR ContourHD helmet cam. In prelim testing, it looks pretty awesome, though editing the clips will be time consuming after we return.

The bikes are also good to go. The service and maintenance we did in Flagstaff should carry through all the way to Seattle. At some point, I may change the oil along the way, but that's about it. Maybe brake pads? -- I've got a spare set already out there if needed.

The logistics are coming together. It's another 2-week trip. We will be flying out mid-day friday Sept. 11th. We thought long and hard about flying that day. Without getting into it too much, it's not going to be easy, but we both feel it's the right thing to do. That has us arriving in Reno ~8pm, where we'll sleep in an airport hotel, and either get the bikes out of storage that evening, or early the next morning.

I'll need to touch base with Mike (katoomon) who will be taking the DirtBagz and the Coleman stove off our hands. Should be easy enough to arrange.

On the other end, I've got my eye on a Public Storage place right near Sea-Tac. Generally, you can't make a reservation for a space until 30 days before you're going to take possession, and you have to be there in person to do the paperwork, so I'll be making those arrangements in the next two weeks or so.

The real challenge has been the routing. I had a bunch of alternate routes from Reno back to the TAT in Fort Bidwell left over that we couldn't do last May on account of the snow, so I just had to reverse those and clean them up:

We start by going west into the Sierras, then over Yuba pass, heading generally NW until we loop around Lassen Volcano to the west, then head back NE to the Warner range where we pick up the TAT.

Oregon is where routing has been a bitch. A tangled maze of FS, BLM, and logging roads. Heavy tree cover means I can't always see the road on GoogleEarth to confirm it's existence. Sam's instructions are a bit sketchy at times. It reminds me a lot of the ordeal I went through routing through the inner darkness of Nova Scotia. Tons of hours pouring over maps and satellite images. This will be the first Mobius trip where I'll be carrying paper maps as backup. Vashist (KTRSD) turned me on to the Benchmark series of atlases (compared them to the Nova Scotia Atlas which rocks). I'll tear out the relevant pages, and pack them in a ziplock for when we have to do big reroutes that exceed the visual field on the GPS.

The TAT courses NW, then back SW to Port Orford. When I asked over in the PacNW forum for advice getting from there towards Seattle, what was being suggested was essentially the TAT in reverse, so it seems that Sam has dialed in a pretty tasty route. Not wanting to simply reverse that, I plan on first taking us straight down the coast on 101 to Gold Beach, and then heading straight East out of the high precipitation longitudes to pick up the OBCD route #3 which will take us up the Cascade range, mostly on the eastern (drier) side. There will be some deviations from the OBCD, first to take a lap around Crater lake, also to fetch gas along Hwy97 if we can't find enough out in the sticks, and finally, we break away from it towards the NW to drop into Seattle:

The closest we'll be to Redmond is maybe to pop in to Sisters to refuel. We'll be in Bend only if we have to. The route is 1910mi, easily 95% off-pavement. I usually add another 10% or so to account for the curves in the roads that my via/track points don't follow.

It's going to be mostly mountains and forests, and we're really looking forward to it.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #1777
darrell098
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Sounds like your ready.

Glad your doing some video this time,
who ever thought of that is smart.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #1778
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
The route is 1910mi, easily 95% off-pavement. I usually add another 10% or so to account for the curves in the roads that my via/track points don't follow.

It's going to be mostly mountains and forests, and we're really looking forward to it.
this looks to the the most epic section yet... almost all dirt, all mountains, lots of camping! can't wait for it to start!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #1779
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Good luck on this section of your Mobius Trip I will be waiting for the the story.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #1780
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
The closest we'll be to Redmond is maybe to pop in to Sisters to refuel. We'll be in Bend only if we have to.
If you do hit Sisters for fuel, stop in at the Snow Cap drive in for a milkshake. They're on the spendy side by my standards but still pretty good. I can also recomend The Gallery and the Sisters Hotel restaurants as well. Just so you know, Sisters is sorta old west. The city codes actually require all businesses in downtown to have and old west facade and "selected" colors. It's a tourist trap and DO NOT SPEED IN TOWN. Also be on the watch for pedestrians-they own the road and will step out into it whenever they please!

One cautionary note for Central OR and the Cascades, this time of year there tend to be thunderstorms with lightning in the evening. Not always but we had an awesome show this past saturday and sunday evenings. So if you're out in the woods camping, you might get more adventure than you want, like being caught in a forest fire. I guess my advice would be to make sure you quit each day close to civilization. There's also a major USFS office in Sisters and they could give you fire info to assist with any "route adjustments".

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #1781
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 669
You made the right decision with the Andy Strapz, Doc.

Glenn and I saw the Andy Strapz bags at the vender area at the BMW rally in TN last month (Adventurers Workshop out of NJ offers them now). The Andy Strapz appear much stronger than the Ortlieb pannier bags.
http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/andy_strapz.htm

Enjoy your excellent journey!

Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #1782
DRDANTDC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
travelin thru

It looks like you guy's are going to be traveling through my home town of Enumclaw,Wa. Let me know when you are getting close so we could meet up.

Dan
Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #1783
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDANTDC
It looks like you guy's are going to be traveling through my home town of Enumclaw,Wa. Let me know when you are getting close so we could meet up.

Dan
I know only one person who knows one person from Enumclaw who happens to ride a motorcycle. Would you happen to be friends with Katie Hurley???

I'm pretty sure the world can not be that small.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #1784
DRDANTDC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Thumbs down

Quote:
I know only one person who knows one person from Enumclaw who happens to ride a motorcycle. Would you happen to be friends with Katie Hurley???

I'm pretty sure the world can not be that small.
Enumclaw is pretty small, but I can't say that I know her.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #1785
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
WOW! David & Francine! What a trip you both have put together since you were here! I have spent the last week or so reading from page 1! Enjoyed every post. Thanks for taking the time & bringing all of us 'along' with you.

I was able to do the Oregon section of the TAT again last year. And again, I spent a lot of the time "lost'. I was told by a woodsman out there, that, "3 numbers is a spur or a loop an' 4 numbers is through!" Not sure how accurate that is but I think I would have been better off knowing that!

If ya all ever need a vacation from ur vacation, Rox & I would love to have you both here again. Good Luck and have fun on Mobius IV.

Rick & Roxanne
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is offline   Reply With Quote