Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
mtm100 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
F800 Tire Advice

I've had my F800 since June, been riding it a lot in the dirt. Also been riding
it on the road quite a bit. My KTM buddies keep telling me I need to get
some knobbies although the Anakee's have been working ok. They run
Mefo's and I just got the word they won't make it here till next year for my bike. So what would you suggest for a knobbie? TKC's? Like everyone else I want what doesn't exist. A tire good for the twisties and good in the mud.
We commonly ride 100-200 miles of twisty pavement to get to good dirt riding. The Mefo's seem to work pretty good on the pavement and great in the dirt. My concern is I'm going to give up a lot on the pavement for better traction in the dirt. Tire life isn't the biggest concern to me. I don't mind changing tires especially after Woody converts my wheels to tubeless this winter.

Thanks,
Mark
mtm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Remember the search tool is your friend or you will get fried here! To answer your question http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443958 I just got a set of these to replace the battlewings that were stock haven't put them on yet but think from all i've read that they will be the best 50/50 tire going.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
mtm100 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
Remember the search tool is your friend or you will get fried here! To answer your question http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443958 I just got a set of these to replace the battlewings that were stock haven't put them on yet but think from all i've read that they will be the best 50/50 tire going.
Thanks for the search tool advice. I use it frequently and find it of little help. I hope you like your K60's. I would get them if they were still available. Look to be over a month away. So TKC's it is.
mtm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm100
Thanks for the search tool advice. I use it frequently and find it of little help. I hope you like your K60's. I would get them if they were still available. Look to be over a month away. So TKC's it is.
Mitas E-09 is a better choice for the rear IMO. I have used them in Death Valley and around Stonyford both on and off road. The TKC80's wear very quickly, and are not great off road - adequate, but not great. I use the Pirelli MT21 up front.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,481
I'm assuming/ hoping that you've already checked out the two linked tire threads in the Sticky at the top of the Beasts page.

The only thing I will add is, DON'T try the Kenda K270s. the F800 rips the lugs right off of them. Clear into the carcass.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Mitas E-09 is a better choice for the rear IMO. I use the Pirelli MT21 up front.
That's what I have at the moment, I had the Mitas on the front as well, but hated it, the Pirelli seems much better, (more "bite" on the shoulders)
IMO the Michelin and Conti are very overpriced (at least in OZ) and I will be sticking to the budget tyres, My ability will not over stress them, that's for sure.
A mate has the MT21 front and D606 rear which seem to work too.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote