Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
ULELUZE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sark
I could clutch-up the front end in first but any straight up power wheelies were out of the question.
I power wheelie my F800GS in first gear all the time not sure why you would not have been able to do this?
I can lift it in first at about 3k rpm and I let it down just before shifting, I am not skilled enough to shift in a wheelie, but I am sure many people could do that.
I have seen video's online of people clutching second gear wheelies on the bike.
ULELUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #17
code
advcurious

Oddometer: 669
so none of this eh? It's stock.
code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #18
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by code
so none of this eh? It's stock.
For some reason none of my 'stock' bikes can do that... I guess a competent rider is not an option on the ones I purchase
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #19
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
When I do that, it's always not on purpose............
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,927
Might want to check this thread on F800Riders.

"

TeachTrix.com BMW F800gs from Bud Mastrangelo on Vimeo.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #21
code
advcurious

Oddometer: 669
Yeah, that's chris. We had the chance to meet him this past sat. at bob's bmw. I'm typically not a fan of their bikes, but what he showed the 800 to be capable of really impressed the hell out of me. Before purchasing my strom the 800 was constantly on my mind an awful lot.. Am glad I held off on the purchase just because first year bikes for bmw's do not seem to be their fortie' as noted in multiple other threads on here and else where about all of the major recalls ( a turn signal recall I could deal with, an axel...well...). If the bike is still around in a few years, who knows.

Of course, a lot of that is confidence, practice, really knowing your machine and a set o' balls.
Great guy that knows his stuff. Went over to say hello, and get a poster for my son. Instead Chris offers to pick him up and put him on his stunt bike for a picture after signing a poster for him. Made his day.

code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #22
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
I'm sure you have all heard the opinions on this machine but I still wanted to comment on something. Although it seemed to be a beautiful machine and I could go on for days about all the pleasures of it , I was EXTREMELY underwhelmed by the power. I realize that this isn't a dedicated road bike and thus it isn't geard like one, but wow. I ride an SV650 which is by no means a fast bike, but it would blow an F800 into the ditch from telephone pole to telephone pole. This came as a real surprise to me as the f800 supposidly makes 17hp more than the SV and does not weigh considerable more. I know the f800 isnt supposed to be a rocket but I havening serious concerns that I would get bored when riding one on the road. Guess I gotta test a KTM now...
I think with 60 lbs of touring gear attached to each bike, the 800gss power might rise a litle closer to the surface. Throw a pillion on there and I think the SV will no longer feel "spirited."

Just a hunch.
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #23
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Its not how fast the bike is but what you can do with it. This video pretty much sums it up for me! I guess your just one of those I can only twist the throttle kind of people instead of using the bike for its intented purposes. Adventure riding, meaning multiple surfaces.

Any idiot can get on a bike and twist the throttle.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #24
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I do love my F8, but as I posted in a different thread it would not be my first choice for tarmac duty. Both the F8 and the SV650 are pokey by liter sport bike standards. The KTM990 is a bit better, but I would not take on major road duty with it either. I don't care for the riding position on the SV650 at all. If you are going to be uncomfortable the bike ought to at least be fast - there is no excuse for an uncomfortable slow bike. The F8 riding position is very comfortable both on and off road.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #25
sark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Im sorry I'm a bit confused. I thought I stressed that the bmw was NOT a sport bike or dedicated road machine. Did anyone actually read my post? I stated several times that I understood the intended purpose of the f8 was not a tarmac racer. And as far as the wheelie thing goes, I rode an F8 with 1300 miles and in first gear this thing would not lift the front wheel unless I modulated the clutch properly. I'm only 155lbs by the way. I think the f8 is an awesome bike and I'm probably gonna buy it next month. Just saying that I didnt think its actual power felt on par with the specs. Super slick bike though, no doubt about that!
sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #26
sark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
Its not how fast the bike is but what you can do with it. This video pretty much sums it up for me! I guess your just one of those I can only twist the throttle kind of people instead of using the bike for its intented purposes. Adventure riding, meaning multiple surfaces.

Any idiot can get on a bike and twist the throttle.
Hey man, to each their own. Speed matters to me. For 12g's I was hoping the bike would be a thrill on black top also. But its the first big dual sport ive ridden, maybe adventure bikes and that charge out of the gate snap your head back acceleration just dont come together. And how do you intend to move a bike without twisting the throttle? Push it? Twist and fly man, twist and fly! Or not, you sound kinda boring to me. Id like to be able to really hammer on dirt also.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 AM   #27
ULELUZE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Im sorry I'm a bit confused. I thought I stressed that the bmw was NOT a sport bike or dedicated road machine. Did anyone actually read my post? I stated several times that I understood the intended purpose of the f8 was not a tarmac racer. And as far as the wheelie thing goes, I rode an F8 with 1300 miles and in first gear this thing would not lift the front wheel unless I modulated the clutch properly. I'm only 155lbs by the way. I think the f8 is an awesome bike and I'm probably gonna buy it next month. Just saying that I didnt think its actual power felt on par with the specs. Super slick bike though, no doubt about that!
When you get it I am sure you will be able to power up a first gear wheelie. I am 160lbs and like I said it lifts no problem, no clutching. It rides different then a Super Sport, but I am sure you will get used to the different power that a twin has vs an inline 4 of the SS bikes. Best of luck with the bike.

To power up the front wheel I just shift my weight to the rear of the seat and at about 3k roll off the throttle slightly then back on hard, it will lift everytime.
ULELUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #28
sark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULELUZE
When you get it I am sure you will be able to power up a first gear wheelie. I am 160lbs and like I said it lifts no problem, no clutching. It rides different then a Super Sport, but I am sure you will get used to the different power that a twin has vs an inline 4 of the SS bikes. Best of luck with the bike.

To power up the front wheel I just shift my weight to the rear of the seat and at about 3k roll off the throttle slightly then back on hard, it will lift everytime.

Sounds good man! You know I noticed the bike already has a pretty good bark even with the stock can. I'm lusting hard after this thing guys. Just gotta unload the SV to make a down payment.