Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #31
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Actually Woody, I never came to that conclusion (about riding in the dirt) in the "other" thread, and your second quote is from the other thread, not this thread. Are you sincere or are you just acting like the shit disturber that you are?
At the risk of this all ending up in jomamma, the quote following the ellipsis is the one from the other thread. That's one of the ways an ellipsis is used in English.

As for disturbing shit, I'm not the one who has on several occasions in this and the other ABS thread made disparaging remarks about other rider's ability to understand how ABS works or their riding experience. I can disagree with people about how they chose to outfit their motorcycles without impugning their skill or knowledge, and don't automatically assume that they don't know what they're talking about. I don't care if anyone does or doesn't want to use ABS on their bike. But I do care if someone essentially calls me an idiot for choosing to do so. So please, spare me your indignation.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #32
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
I don't have a dog in this hunt. My 800GS came with ABS so I have it. On the flip side, I have removed ABS from a bike (the pump failed and it would have cost more to replace the pump than the bike was worth) and I specifically bought my 1200GS because it did NOT have ABS.

My way of saying, I can take ABS or leave it. It's NOT a deal breaker for me either way.

tmex, I generally agree with you and if all else was the same would not get ABS on my bikes, but I cannot detect any difference in brake feel between my 800GS with the ABS turned off and my 1200GS which doesn't have ABS. Perhaps the ABS bike(s) you've ridden weren't bled properly? With the ABS turned off, my 800's brakes are great.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #33
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
Oh, what I'd really like to see would be a bike with ABS for the rear wheel only. (As long as I could turn it off in dirt)

I always seem to lock the rear in panic situations. No big deal, just annoying.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #34
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
I don't have a dog in this hunt. My 800GS came with ABS so I have it. On the flip side, I have removed ABS from a bike (the pump failed and it would have cost more to replace the pump than the bike was worth) and I specifically bought my 1200GS because it did NOT have ABS.

My way of saying, I can take ABS or leave it. It's NOT a deal breaker for me either way.

tmex, I generally agree with you and if all else was the same would not get ABS on my bikes, but I cannot detect any difference in brake feel between my 800GS with the ABS turned off and my 1200GS which doesn't have ABS. Perhaps the ABS bike(s) you've ridden weren't bled properly? With the ABS turned off, my 800's brakes are great.
Interesting. I only have a sample of one relative to the F8. My friend's F8 does not give good feedback with the ABS turned off. I greatly prefer the feel of my non-ABS relative to his. I will try his bike with the ABS on next time we are out together. Maybe he has different pads or something. He bought his bike in Phoenix and the exhaust pipes were wrapped. Basically I think it was set up for motard - maybe someone did change the pads to be less aggressive.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #35
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,451
Just to muddy

the waters a bit...
I have ABS on mine, mostly because I wanted the first bike they got in the shop. I'm happy to have it, on the road, but I have had more than one freewheel episode due to the ABS engaging during rough riding. One of the two was my fault; I forgot to turn it off after a long stop for a tire repair. The other was a situation where the road unexpectedly went to shit, I hit the brakes and got nothing.
I've also used it, for real, on pavement, so I feel like I'm 50/50 in the help/harm department.
Like many bike discussions, I think it depends on how/where you ride.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote