User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Tantalum Kid OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Fuel Pump Driver Failed on an 08 R1200GS

250 km into a weekend trip my bike wouldn't run. It would start, rev-out or idle for about 2 seconds, but wouldn't run. This happenned for about 30 starting attempts. After that all it would do is crank over, but not start. There were no warning or fault codes on the dash. BTW it was raining off-and-on all day.

Thanks to BMW roadside assistance the bike was trucked to a dealer (about a 200 km tow). The dealer diagnosed the situation as a faulty fuel pump electronic controller - aka fuel pump driver - and a replacement is currently on order (2 week delivery).

A little research revealed these controllers became wet due to a flawed o-ring seal. However, this situation was reported in 2005 and one might assume that this had been fixed for the 08 models.

1. Can anyone report this happenning to other 08-R1200GSs?
2. Is it possible to carry out a road-side replacement of the fuel pump electronic controller?

Jim
Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,262
In the US it's a recent recall, number 09V319000 affecting '06-'08 R1200 GS.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Welcome to BMW ! Lol, my 07 had the upgraded o-ring and yet it leaked water, shorted out and stranded me on the freeway in Louisiana one hot summer day in rush-hour traffic.

Be warned that even the "fix" from the factory may not work. Another thread outlines the procedure for by-passing a failed controller and direct wiring the pump like on the 1150 series. That by-pass may save a lot of pain and heartache the next time it lets you down.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,573
Get this bypass cable from a fellow forum member,in case you have future issues:

http://www.burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,049
If your dealer will give you the failed part you can make an emergency bypass with it very easily and then stick it in your under-seat tray, that's what I've done after being turned into a pedestrian twice.

BTW, once you have a bypass under your seat (and know how to use it) it will never fail again.

JetSpeed screwed with this post 08-20-2009 at 03:27 PM
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Anybody Contact BNW NA?

Hey has anybody actually talked to BMW NA or BMW Motorrad about how the replacement controllers will stop the water damage generated failures of the controllers?

I read the letter from Jan Urbahn from BMW NA to NHTSA. Check out his title: General Manager; Safety Enginering and Intelligent Transportation Systems! The letter is weak and doesn't specify how the controller will be modified to preclude these failures.

I mean WTF....this is another absurd issue that should not be an issue.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Delawarerider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Mine failed last week. Dealer called today and its fixed. I love the fact that my '07 GS is being repaired, but why the hell does it keep breaking down. Fork seals, key antenna ring, rear main engine seal, two final drive seals and now this fuel pump problem. What will fail next?
Delawarerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,049
To be honest I don't believe that the fuel controller failures are due to water or corrosion, I think that the part fails due to overheating.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed
To be honest I don't believe that the fuel controller failures are due to water or corrosion, I think that the part fails due to overheating.
You are probably right. I guess I should be filling the flange with water to keep it cool!
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Tantalum Kid OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
"Get this bypass cable from a fellow forum member,in case you have future issues:
http://www.burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php"

Thanks for the info on the bypass cable, and thanks to all that replied. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Also, this may explain the long delivery for the replacement fuel pump controller, i.e. high demand.

The image of the failed controller shown on the page with bypass cable seams to have a lot of electronics inside. How complicated is this device? Especially if can be bypassed by a connection to the battery. Looks like its more than just a relay.

Jim
Tantalum Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalum Kid
The image of the failed controller shown on the page with bypass cable seams to have a lot of electronics inside. How complicated is this device? Especially if can be bypassed by a connection to the battery. Looks like its more than just a relay.

Jim
It's reported job is to reduce power (voltage?) to the fuel pump as full power is not needed once the fuel system is pressurized. The reported reason for doing this is to lessen wear and tear on the fuel filter that is an integral part of the fuel pump. Other models have an external, replaceable fuel filter and do not use the controller. When you bypass the controller with the cable you are running full power all the time.

I'm just parroting things I've read... I really don't have a clue as to how much of that is factual. OK, I really don't have a clue.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
It's reported job is to reduce power (voltage?) to the fuel pump as full power is not needed once the fuel system is pressurized. The reported reason for doing this is to lessen wear and tear on the fuel filter that is an integral part of the fuel pump. Other models have an external, replaceable fuel filter and do not use the controller. When you bypass the controller with the cable you are running full power all the time.

I'm just parroting things I've read... I really don't have a clue as to how much of that is factual. OK, I really don't have a clue.
I think it's just OVER-doing what it was intended to do. If it shuts down the fuel pump altogether, it'll NEVER wear out - thus it'll have an infinite life expectancy!!!
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Delawarerider
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah and if you never start the bike, it'll last forever too. But WTF good is it. I certainly don't want to have to by-pass a non functioning item that shouldn't FAIL in the first place. Maybe I shouldn't be riding a BMW because I really don't want to have to jerry rig the bike in some parking lot after it crapped out again. This is my first BMW so I may not be up to speed on my obligation to study motorcycle mechanics in order to survive.

I was actually hoping to just ride the thing and enjoy it. I think I'll inquire about an extended warranty.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:59 AM   #14
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawarerider
Yeah and if you never start the bike, it'll last forever too. But WTF good is it. I certainly don't want to have to by-pass a non functioning item that shouldn't FAIL in the first place. Maybe I shouldn't be riding a BMW because I really don't want to have to jerry rig the bike in some parking lot after it crapped out again. This is my first BMW so I may not be up to speed on my obligation to study motorcycle mechanics in order to survive.

I was actually hoping to just ride the thing and enjoy it. I think I'll inquire about an extended warranty.
You're completely justified in your frustration IMO. I'm waiting on a 2010 myself and have been essentially doing a crash course in the basics on how to keep it running. No way can I afford $100/hr to pay some dealer tech to do half-assed repairs/tune-ups on it all the time for the general stuff.

As far as the major repairs are concerned, I've decided that when I'm negotiating the final deal on the bike, if they won't throw in the extended warranty for free, then I'm walkin'. Ya have to draw the line somewhere!
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #15
Delawarerider
Gnarly Adventurer

I wish I had that wisdom when I was buying