User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
TheCowboy OP
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 605
BMW F800GS - The 20,000 mile report

I am on day 20 of a 21 day trip from Minneapolis to Seattle and return and will hit the 20,000 mile mark this morning.

So far I have only encountered two problems:

1. Runs rough and wants to die in the rain (fixed - move that little tube that hangs down from the engine and sucks up moisture from the pave)

2. No rear brakes - not sure why yet, BMW has looked at it and scratched their heads. Sometimes I have rear brakes, sometimes I don't.

Other then that the bike has performed perfect. I have done all the maintenance myself - no issues. Oh yeh, it did eat up a rear TKC80 in 2500 miles - the front TKC80 lasted 6000 miles - WTF-over?

Cowboy2
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Great post. I have 3700 miles on mine in six weeks with NO problems. I sometimes also have the rear brake works good, other times kinda soft thing. Not sure what the dealio is there either. I suspect air in the line. Seems it is mushy when it gets hotter. Not 100% on that one. My rear fluid did go dark really quickly after new, so just thinking I'll blead them today.

But other than that the only problem I have with the bike is that I can't use it for everything I need to do. Doesn't hold much stuff when i go to the hardware store.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Could the rear brake issue be because of chain lube overspray??

I lube the chain with the bike running in first gear on the centerstand. Sometimes, a little bit gets on the disk. I take a clean rag with some brake cleaner sprayed on the rag and clean it up.

zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,244
Hey Cowboy2, my wife and I met you two in Detroit Lakes as you were starting out.

I moved the tube over before our trip on wife's F650GS and no problems with the many rains we encountered on our trip.

4973 miles total for us. See ya.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker
Hey Cowboy2, my wife and I met you two in Detroit Lakes as you were starting out.

I moved the tube over before our trip on wife's F650GS and no problems with the many rains we encountered on our trip.

4973 miles total for us. See ya.
What tube? and where do you move it to?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Ron Wardman
Beemerguy

Oddometer: 249

Just went passed 16K on my just completed ride on Vancouver IS. Very happy with the bike but have had one problem with the rear brake. I have it adjusted with a lot of free play but once in a while, for some reason, it heats up and causes an almost lockup. 3 times I have had to stop, remove the retainer piston clip and disconnect to allow it to cool down. I don't ride the brake as I am used to dirt riding and depend mostly on front braking, not wanting to lock up the rear. Any insight as this problem? Still using the original chain. Getting ready to replace the rear tire for the 3rd time.
Ron Wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
What tube? and where do you move it to?
I'd like to read a good description or view a couple photos of this also. I did something similar on my KLR, however I just can't picture where is is on the F8GS.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
They're talking about the tube that hangs down off of the bottom of the charcoal canister. The end of it is down by the skid plate.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
I'd like to read a good description or view a couple photos of this also. I did something similar on my KLR, however I just can't picture where is is on the F8GS.
Read this thread on F800 riders -

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25304

Long thread with lots of discussion and lots of photos and the final solution is not until near the end of the thread but basically put a T in the vent hose hanging down from the Charcoal Canister and run a line up high maybe under the seat.

That way you have the vent line hanging straight down for the canister to drain and the hose up high to suck air so only air comes in and it does not pull water up thru the hose hanging down.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,244
The vacuum line comes off the bottom of the charcoal can and needs to be rerouted next to the kickstand to get it out of line of the tires.

The riders that go into water crossings, put a T fitting just below the can and route another vacuum line up under the seat so the vacuum will draw air and not water, but still be able to drain overflow fuel down the stock line.

It fixed the running in rain cutting out dying problem.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Thanks all for the clarification. Perhaps even I (Mr. Mechanically-Challenged) will be able to find it and do the fix.